The combat is really good, but the game as a whole feels overwhelming to me right now.

+
The combat is really good, but the game as a whole feels overwhelming to me right now.

I am wondering if it is normal for me to feel a little overwhelmed right now. I don't think their is any spoiler by saying I just arrived in Velen, I did everything I think I could really do in White Orchard and now I am in Velen.

Its all the things you can craft and potions you can make that I have not found any ingredients for. I went all over White Orchard looting and grabbing plants everywhere. I can't make or craft anything, and their is a ton of ingredients in the game. It feels a little overwhelming. Then the quest, you go to a billboard and grab 6 quest but their is a lot to read their.

I am in a tough place with the game right now because I like challenging combat, so I haft to play on a harder difficulty like I am doing. I have had 0 issue with the combat, its fun and challenging. I like the monster hunting aspect, chasing down the griffon was fun. Its everything else about the game that feels like a chore. I guess my question is does the pace of the game pick up at all later? Or while a good game, it may not be for me?

Your input appreciated

Last edited:

Sken

Forum veteran
If you find questing a chore, stick to the main quest only, that keeps the pacing of the game and the story moving forward, and will lead to many combat encounters, story related. From time to time you will get side tracked by monster hunts and sidequests along the way.

If down the line you start to feel more comfortable with the game, absolutely put some focus on the sidequests, they are some of the best in gaming.

Sken is correct. On my first play through I stuck to mainly the story line and glad I did. It is the best story driven RPG out there - the story line is so rich and deep, there is a lot to take in if you enjoy a very heavy story driven open world type game. Keep in mind, this ain't Shadow of Mordor, thank the Gods! So if you're looking for that type of tripe, this ain't it.

I get what you mean though...so many quests, it was a bit much at first. The story really picks up once you hit Velen and Novigrad, as those story quests start building up quickly and you begin to start leveling up faster as well. Things will start to move fast if you stick to the story line quests.

On my subsequent play throughs, I hit everything on the map and really took my time. Took well over 150 hrs+ for my second time through, as I hit everything and soaked it all in. Didn't miss any side quests nor ?. I then started all over again once NG+ hit and HoS DLC.

Also, there are several small quests that are not marked at all. Kind of random, so pay attention and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Best RPG out there - bar none.

Good day,

DrDetroit

Last edited:
Sken is correct. On my first play through I stuck to mainly the story line and glad I did. It is the best story driven RPG out there - the story line is so rich and deep, there is a lot to take in if you enjoy a very heavy story driven open world type game. Keep in mind, this ain't Shadow of Mordor, thank the Gods! So if you're looking for that type of tripe, this ain't it.

I get what you mean though...so many quests, it was a bit much at first. The story really picks up once you hit Velen and Novigrad, as those story quests start building up quickly and you begin to start leveling up faster as well. Things will start to move fast if you stick to the story line quests.

On my subsequent play throughs, I hit everything on the map and really took my time. Took well over 150 hrs+ for my second time through, as I hit everything and soaked it all in. Didn't miss any side quests nor ?. I then started all over again once NG+ hit and HoS DLC.

Also, there are several small quests that are not marked at all. Kind of random, so pay attention and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Best RPG out there - bar none.

Good day,

DrDetroit

Exactly the same as me lol - in the middle of my 3rd playthrough, I have yet to do all the ?s in any playthrough and haven't played any of the dlc quests or HoS or seen the additions to the Triss romance - so there is still a fair bit I haven't even seen in my previous 2 playthroughs

Story wise there is in my opinion nothing that even comes close to witcher3 even with the side stories because they are real side stories and not fetch quests.

The fastest unlock every thing ingame is downloading a 70+ save like on nexus and play that in NG+ if fancy combat/gear is all your after.

It's an RPG game, it's supposed to be about the story. It's supposed to make you think.

If you want a mindless shooter go play Fallout 4 instead.

And how, exactly, did TW3 made you think?
It made me think what to say to different people in the game, because my decisions had real consiquences and "branching" as it and should in any decent RPG. Fallout 4 doesn't even come close to this as pretty much nothing matters in that game. Not what you say nor what you do. F4 is a ridiculiously dumbed down game with even lesser Rpg elements than in F3. That alone says enough of how pointless decision making is in that game.

ShinGnosis is right- that game is nothing more but a shooter in a big sandbox. That's it. Whoever calls it an "rpg" either doesn't even know what the term means or just fooling himself.

Last edited:
It made me think what to say to different people in the game, because my decisions had real consiquences and "branching" as it and should in any decent RPG.

Exactly. You can very easily get a VERY bad ending if you don't think about what you're doing or saying in those dialogues. A witcher is a monster slayer... but what is a monster, and what is a man? A witcher is supposed to remain neutral, but what is neutral? And can a witcher be neutral even towards nilfgaard? If The Witcher 3 doesn't make you think and see things in shades of grey, rather than black and white, you're simply not thinking hard enough.

Thanks for the replies, I will say I definitely like RPG's, some of my favorites are the Ultima games, and one of my all time favorite RPG's is Fallout 2. Then of course mmo's, played UO, SWG, L2, etc and WoW off & on. I think if I can speak freely, this is very opinionated, but I am not a fan of Geralt. I think that is where my issue is with Witcher 3. I like Witcher's as a class, I think they are very interesting. I think if the game was centered around Lambert id make for a better game for me personally. He seems like a cooler, more agile character. Not that Geralt is slow necessarily, the combat is great as I have stated, having a challenging combat system in a open world rpg like this is rare now days.

However, Geralt, not a fan of the character, but I can look past it, and I am giving the game a chance by sticking with the main story.

You should try to learn more about Geralt. Check the witcher wikia, read the books, play the previous Witcher games, which are pretty much awesome. Geralt is definitely one of the best leading protagonists in any series, complex, badass and adorably softie. He kinda reminds me of the comic book hero of my childhood, Jonah Hex.

It made me think what to say to different people in the game, because my decisions had real consiquences and "branching" as it and should in any decent RPG. Fallout 4 doesn't even come close to this as pretty much nothing matters in that game. Not what you say nor what you do. F4 is a ridiculiously dumbed down game with even lesser Rpg elements than in F3. That alone says enough of how pointless decision making is in that game.

ShinGnosis is right- that game is nothing more but a shooter in a big sandbox. That's it. Whoever calls it an "rpg" either doesn't even know what the term means or just fooling himself.
What branching exactly is there in TW3?
I can think of one and it's not in the main quest. Besides, in the main story there are so little moral choices (real ones that is) and all the other (like Ciri's consequence) are just nonsensical arbitrarily vague which are less of a choice and more of a guess work.

patience, take your time, you will find almost al ingredients and crafting materials exploring, killing monsters, doing side quests and you can also buy the from merchants, slow down you don't need to do all the contracts at the same time, do une thing at the time, you'll get used to it, look at the map, read the bestiary, the entry journal, etc, pay attention, it takes time but you'll find the way :)

What branching exactly is there in TW3?
I can think of one and it's not in the main quest. Besides, in the main story there are so little moral choices (real ones that is) and all the other (like Ciri's consequence) are just nonsensical arbitrarily vague which are less of a choice and more of a guess work.

Almost all minor quests are branched, and whole main quest has many possible outcomes not just those obvious to you - for example - not even starting quests has impact on final outcome, like for example ignoring Triss and not helping her getting mages out of Novigrad... many times you can chose from more possible outcomes - Bloody Baron, either save his wife or rather saving those children (yet you dont know the outcome until you decide what you do), or kicking little Sara out of house, just to see her later together with Johny (or you could tell the banker house is hounted and Sara would stay in Novigrad), or the quest with Werewolf, where you could stop dwelling in it, and leave it be, or if you didnt, and then you either killed he wereworlf, or let him to punish the sister who caused her sister death... or in white orchard, you could go searching for Dune with his brother, or you can find him on his own and just tell his brother where he is, or if you went to search for Dune with him, you could influence him to help the Nilfgaardian who saved him and then you would see him at their house working in the fields... and those are just few i just remembered , i dont want to write down entire quest lists to not spoil things up..

So, again, just because you didnt noticed it, it doesnt mean its not branched..

I am wondering if it is normal for me to feel a little overwhelmed right now. I don't think their is any spoiler by saying I just arrived in Velen, I did everything I think I could really do in White Orchard and now I am in Velen.

Its all the things you can craft and potions you can make that I have not found any ingredients for. I went all over White Orchard looting and grabbing plants everywhere. I can't make or craft anything, and their is a ton of ingredients in the game. It feels a little overwhelming. Then the quest, you go to a billboard and grab 6 quest but their is a lot to read their.

I am in a tough place with the game right now because I like challenging combat, so I haft to play on a harder difficulty like I am doing. I have had 0 issue with the combat, its fun and challenging. I like the monster hunting aspect, chasing down the griffon was fun. Its everything else about the game that feels like a chore. I guess my question is does the pace of the game pick up at all later? Or while a good game, it may not be for me?

Your input appreciated

I'm on my first playthrough and started playing in May. :happy:

As @cyberpunkforever said: take your time. Savour it even, and soon enough things won't seem so overwhelming. Play in you own pace, and if that pace means playing main quest, then do that.

With events in White Orchard fresh in my mind(I stumbled upon areas ergo locking out the quest leading up to it), I went almost immediately to the Bloody Baron after arriving to Velen. That certainly upped the pace of the game, but then, after meeting him I felt comfortable enough to take my time, and did side quests and random exploring without feeling I was missing something somewhere else. Besides, some side quests do not feel like side quests at all. Hell, even completing my first contract was a blast!

There is little chance you won't find and collect a lot of recipes or formulas, along with the ingredients and material. Just roam the world and have fun!

I hope you'll find your own pace and continue playing this great game. It's worth your time. :happy:

EDIT: Oh, you get a REDpoint for mentioning Fallout 2.

Last edited:
yeah, its fully up to you which path you chose - after initial quest (Nilfgaardian connection) you could go either to Bloody Baron or searching for the Witch. personally i prefer second option now, as it somehow makes certain things more in line ( Ciri quest), but it really doesn't matter which quest is done first or second, and actual quest order gives you some custom character reactions based on what path you chose.. Anyway if you wanna explore, then explore.. each village has some witcher contracts, and some interesting secondary quests, while you can find a lot of fun stuff around (hidden containers in abandoned buildings with nailed doors, some custom placed objects like graves etc, or some miniquests marked with yellow exclamation mark..) no need to rush, enjoy the ride ;)

OP: This game, and the world it inhabits, is so large and expansive.. it requires you to not rush, take your time, explore, and enjoy. This is certainly about the ride, not the destination. You WILL find those missing components for your alchemy stuff.. I promise you. And when you do randomly find the one missing piece to that Superior Swallow, it feels quite rewarding. I would suggest doing ALL quests possible.. but do whatever you like at your own pace. Feel like doing a Witcher contract, then go after some Feline gear? Do it. Take a break from the main quest-lines and go do some question marks.. there-in lies some fun stuff, and also, the missing components to many of the things you're unable to currently craft.

The game is indeed overhwhelming. I'm about to begin my FIFTH playthrough.. and each and every playthrough I notice a PLETHORA of stuff I missed previously. Don't get worried or frustrated when you're done in Novigrad / Velen and go to Skellige and see another 120 Question Marks. Play the game at your own pace and think hard about every decision you make. It will effect the outcome of things to come. And to see those things come to life based on decisions is magical, IMO.

Originally Posted by ilayoeli
And how, exactly, did TW3 made you think

I've been watching my boyfriend playing Fallout series. Fallout is funny and nice. We laugh often when choosing those dialogue options. "Haha, look at that dialogue, it's just hilarious!" kinda type. That is "the thing" in Fallout for us.

However... When I'm playing Witcher, I sometimes feel myself like a total asshole. In my first game I romanced Yennefer and now on my second run I'm romancing Triss. Last Wish was just so horrible quest this time!
When I had to tell Yen that I don't love her, it just broke my heart and I literally felt like I'm the biggest asshole in the whole universe and that I had cheated her with Triss.
It was just so awful and great at the same time. And there definitely was no "haha"moment.

During Possession I panicked.
Something tells me I can trust Cerys and throw that baby in the owen, but at the same time I didn't want to risk it. For God's sakes, baby in the owen! And then there is that limited time to choose your answer :D What to do! WHAT TO DO!!! Even when playing this quest second time and knowing what was coming, it still didn't left me cold. Second time I didn't throw baby in the owen and now I felt like an idiot for not trusting Cerys.
Cerys made me feel like an idiot.

You are wandering in the road and bump in to some trouble. Two guys are arguing and both want's your help. They both have their good reasons to say what they say. You don't know anything what was happening earlier, you have to decide who is telling the truth or who is just some "nag nag" person who is just looking for trouble and bullying others. You can't tell, and that is annoying (and great)! You choose, you feel bad about your decision and consequences, you reload and try again with other option and you still don't know!

And there is so, so much situations like those...

So, this game makes you FEEL, and because you feel, you have to think what you are saying. Those NPC:s are not just decoration, you really feel for them. You don't want to make wrong choice, 'cause it hurts someone. And because of that, this game makes you feel like you are living in that world. Fallout is nice, but it doesn't give you the same effect.

Top Bottom