Torment: Tides of Numenera

+
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Well it started out with a topic on RPG Codex. A user named Crooked Bee someone noticed on Colin McComb's blog where he was talking about what he was going to do next and where he talked a lot about Planescape Torment and what he would do if he worked on another one. In the comments he said that he had an in with the Torment IP owner.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/colin-mccomb-on-whats-next-a-new-torment-rpg.78453/
http://colinmccomb.com/?p=157

So people talked about this there for a bit then another user named Rougey decided to do some digging and noticed that the IP rights to torment had been acquired by Roxy Friday which after some more digging was copyrighted by Brian Fargo.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/codex-scoop-brian-fargo-has-acquired-the-rights-to-torment-but-not-planescape.78474/

If you read the comments in the first link you will see that Colin made an account and posted there and said he would put up another blog post about the importance of Planescape to the Torment story and also mentioned that WotC had little interest in licensing Planescape out but that "other, equally cool options exist". This was on page 2 of the comments. On Page 3 he says this.

"As far as I'm concerned, MCA told a complete and beautiful story. If Chris wants to add sequels, that's his prerogative. If I added direct sequels, that would be fan fiction. I *like* that the question of what happens to his companions after the game has ended remains unanswered. Adding more details cheapens the impact of the original, and the unanswered questions about the companions makes their stories more powerful.

That's why Chris and I have both said that we would not be involved in sequels; we don't need to wrap up every loose end. Spiritual successors, yes - there are Torment stories that are untold. But not sequels, at least not right away (the last clause is just in case Chris discovers a new story he wants to tell with those companions).

So why do I want to use Torment? Because it was a deeply personal, philosophically engaging story that was not tied to the fate of the world - it *is* the end of the world for some characters, and it can sweep across the depths of infinity, but it remained a story about one man and the impact he had on those around him. Using Torment in the title tells you what kind of game it is. It's a specific story about a specific kind of person, a thematic link.

For the people who insist the game be a Planescape game, I have two points:
1. As I said, WotC does not appear to be interested in licensing Planescape.
2. Anyway, countless people told us that a Planescape game would never succeed, because it was "too weird." We just had to tell them to trust us - we had it handled. As you've seen, we did.

I'm not going to ask you to trust me just yet (I enjoy not having feces flung at me), but I will ask that you keep an open mind until you see what I'm thinking.
"

Also while there's no direct proof of another inXile-Obsidian team-up, considering their close friendship I think we can all safely assume if there is going to be anything happening with the IP Avellone is going to be involved somehow.

EDIT: This is where the new info is going to be. Here's the interview about the successor.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/
Anyone here donate to the Numenera kickstarter? I've gone to the website a few times but still don't really have much of an idea what it's like.

Guest 2091327

That is amazing indeed.

As for the 'news', I don't get what's so great about it? WotC don't want to licence it, so we're unlikely to see a new game. Besides, the story has been told, and whatever else is done with it can't be done as well, no matter the name. It would have to be a totally different story in the same universe - which seems to be ruled out by WotC.

Am I missing something here?

Pangaea said:
That is amazing indeed.

As for the 'news', I don't get what's so great about it? WotC don't want to licence it, so we're unlikely to see a new game. Besides, the story has been told, and whatever else is done with it can't be done as well, no matter the name. It would have to be a totally different story in the same universe - which seems to be ruled out by WotC.

Am I missing something here?
Not really seeing as all that has happened is some IP rights have been reacquired by someone. It's real significance will depend on what they do with it. Fargo and Avellone are really close friends along with Avellone and McComb. Combine that bit of info along with Avellone's mentions of doing a spiritual successor and that he asked some of the past people he worked on Torment with if they would be up for doing a successor and they all agreed (McComb being one of them) and you get a lot of strong evidence that while not currently being in the works a Torment successor is at least being planned.

Guest 2091327

Sounds a bit 2 + 2 = 5 to me, but there may of course be something to it, so I won't rule it out.

However, I don't think I WANT to see a successor to Planescape. Like with the possible plans for a BG3, it will just devalue the classic games by association. Much less risk of a PST2 being a crapshoot than BG3, but still don't think I want to see it. The story is completed and there isn't really anything they can do there, and if WotC still have some say about the Planescape universe, then their hands are a bit tied up there too.

Guess we'll have to see what, if anything, happens :)/>

Pangaea said:
Sounds a bit 2 + 2 = 5 to me, but there may of course be something to it, so I won't rule it out.

However, I don't think I WANT to see a successor to Planescape. Like with the possible plans for a BG3, it will just devalue the classic games by association. Much less risk of a PST2 being a crapshoot than BG3, but still don't think I want to see it. The story is completed and there isn't really anything they can do there, and if WotC still have some say about the Planescape universe, then their hands are a bit tied up there too.

Guess we'll have to see what, if anything, happens :)/>/>
You may want to read McComb's quote. Also Avellone feels the same way so no worries there.

Good news indeed, the new game (just assuming they are going to do a new one) don't need to be successor to Torment. Planescape is a rather a nice and huge setting they can easly create hundreds of stories. But i would like to see our old champs around, especially Morte :)

I doubt there will be "torment 2" but i would like to se other game set in planescape universe.

Well by the looks of it Wizards of the Coast aren't willing to license out the Planescape setting, they're probably committed to raping that gameworld at a later date, Colin seems to be hinting at a "spiritual successor" to Torment. That's something i'd be more than willing to get on board with, so long as the lead writer remained Avellone, his prose brought Torment to life.

Oh and whoopie.

Well I wasn't expecting more news this soon but hey that's what happens when the Codex gets excited.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ex-obsidian-kevin-saunders-joins-inxile-as-project-director-probably-on-new-torment-game.78496/
Project Director of Mask of the Betrayer, Kevin Saunders, has been hired by inXile to be the lead on their next game. Here's a quote from his formspring.

"Are you working at InXile now then?

Yes! I was contracting at inXile in November, but have recently joined full time as a project director. It’s great to be involved in RPGs again and I love the route inXile is taking – making games directly for the players. It allows us to explore ideas and gameplay that many, including us, are passionate about, but that aren’t mainstream enough for the big publishers (with Wasteland 2 as an obvious example =) ).

I’ll be leading the development of the next game. The writers are finishing up their roles on WL2 and we want to keep that talented group together. Also, by the time WL2 is completed next fall, we’ll want preproduction done for the next game so that the development team can rollover to it (after a well-deserved break, of course!). You need different size teams at various points in a project, and having multiple projects in development is important to allow you to keep your team together. So it’s time to plan for what’s next!
"

EDIT: Don't know why I didn't say this but by all rights this doesn't really mean anything to Torment. By all rights they could just be making another project until Avellone is done with Project Eternity then star up whatever they are planning with Torment.

Sirnaq said:
I doubt there will be "torment 2" but i would like to se other game set in planescape universe.

It really is the other way around. WotC has retired the Planescape universe. There's no Planescape books for 4th ed, tho Sigil and some other concepts still exist. McComb approached them but they don't want to license a new Planescape game, and they do still own those rights.

They don't own the name Torment. inXile does. They could do a game with a similar writing team, similar goals and concepts, in a unique setting. But not a direct sequel of PS:T's story or setting.

BrotherNone said:
It really is the other way around. WotC has retired the Planescape universe. There's no Planescape books for 4th ed, tho Sigil and some other concepts still exist. McComb approached them but they don't want to license a new Planescape game, and they do still own those rights.

They don't own the name Torment. inXile does. They could do a game with a similar writing team, similar goals and concepts, in a unique setting. But not a direct sequel of PS:T's story or setting.

Who cares about 4th ed? They could make another game in the universe of torment as it was back then or make something original.

So what's the collective opinion on what made Torment so distinctive? For me it was thinky on the old noggin, very personal, unashamedly verbose, very reactive and all set in a rich very stylised setting that was intriguing and explorable.

Sirnaq said:
Who cares about 4th ed? They could make another game in the universe of torment as it was back then or make something original.

You can make something original, yes. You can't just suddenly do a game without 4th ed, using old Planescape, without WotC's permission, and again, they're not interested in licensing out Planescape. Not in 3rd, not in 3.5, not in 4th.

Sirnaq said:
So what's the collective opinion on what made Torment so distinctive? For me it was thinky on the old noggin, very personal, unashamedly verbose, very reactive and all set in a rich very stylised setting that was intriguing and explorable.

Pretty much that, plus the whole subverting of RPG tropes.

BrotherNone said:

Thanks for that bit of info Brother None. I would have told the codex I posted this here but I'm still waiting for that confirmation email so I can post. Welcome to the witcher forums by the way.

80Maxwell08 said:
Thanks for that bit of info Brother None. I would have told the codex I posted this here but I'm still waiting for that confirmation email so I can post. Welcome to the witcher forums by the way.

That confirmation system is bleh. But necessary I guess. Infinitron linked to this thread already though, so they noticed it.

And apparently I've been registered since 2009! Hah. Long-time listener first-time caller?

For those who are all "who's this joker", I'm a GameBanshee editor, you may remember me from this news or this painfully long Witcher 2 review, but I also function kind of as a community manager-type guy for inXile, and have been mailing a lot with Fargo, Colin and Kevin (and others) for a few weeks now about this project, so I can clarify some things/answer some questions, though not everything.

Hey up Brother None, every time i've stumbled upon it I always thought that Gamebanshee place was top banana, good work dude.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-planescape-torment-a-podcast-post-mortem-with-the-games-makers

Podcast with the makers of Torment from back in August I think, seems appropriate to re-post.

Well I can't say I saw this coming at all.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chris-avellone-gives-his-blessing-to-inxiles-torment-successor-probably-wont-join.78501/
If they try to do a Kickstarter I'm honestly not sure this will take off without Avellone. The only people who would fund this would be die hard Torment fans who know of Avellone in the first place. Well if they actually do a Kickstarter then hopefully it will be when I have money.

Top Bottom