Torment: Tides of Numenera

+

Guest 2091327

GameBanshee is indeed excellent. I've used their BG2 pages a lot when playing the game, to check out weapons, spells, etc.

BrotherNone said:
You can make something original, yes. You can't just suddenly do a game without 4th ed, using old Planescape, without WotC's permission, and again, they're not interested in licensing out Planescape. Not in 3rd, not in 3.5, not in 4th.

In line with what we have discussed in some other threads recently, here is another example of copyright functioning as a block for creativity, rather than as an enhancement for it. Very unfortunate.

BrotherNone said:
And apparently I've been registered since 2009! Hah. Long-time listener first-time caller?

Ha, same here great to see you here though. No Mutants Allowed and Codex "listener" here.

Should probably rename this thread soon. Think I'll hold off for a bit though since I don't really know what to name it.

Also I should have posted this eariler but here's a link to the first book in the Oathbreaker series that Colin is writing. He's giving it away for free in a few different ways (it doesn't list it but the kindle version is free). So if anyone wants to see a bit of his writing style then here's a small sample. No idea how indicative it will be though considering you would probably write a book differently from a game.
http://colinmccomb.com/?page_id=68

I think this is good news. It means they can use the general ideas and create a spiritual successor. Of course they won't create a sequel if they can't even get their hands on the Planescape license. The interview also says they wouldn't want to, the story is done and not revealing the NPC's outcomes actually adds depth and mystery to the game.

Pangaea said:
In line with what we have discussed in some other threads recently, here is another example of copyright functioning as a block for creativity, rather than as an enhancement for it. Very unfortunate.

On the contrary I would say. It will encourage whoever is in charge now to create their very own IP, without the limitations of the D&D Planescape setting. Imagine for instance, if instead of rigid classes we had the chance to build The Nameless One using a flexible classless system, where he could be warrior, thief AND mage at the same time? Or a sword-wielding mage?

As much as I liked AD&D and loved how much the rich Planescape setting added to the game, I think being independent from a big corporation is a good thing.

on side note there is a spiritual successor being made. Having read that, not so surprisingly but sadly no nameless one or much others for what torment was renowned for

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
on side note there is a spiritual successor being made. Having read that, not so surprisingly but sadly no nameless one or much others for what torment was renowned for
They were never going to be brought back anyway. Go read the second paragraph in the quote on my first post. Even if Avellone were available and they had the Planescape license they wouldn't have brought them back.

Volsung said:
On the contrary I would say. It will encourage whoever is in charge now to create their very own IP, without the limitations of the D&D Planescape setting.

This is very true. MCA, Colin, they both agree a fresh IP was needed, and remember Colin actually worked pretty long and as a head honcho on Planescape, but the AD&D rules just don't suit what Torment wants to do all that well, and moving to a new setting actually offers some interesting opportunities for a new story. They still checked with WotC and if it were an option maybe they would have gone Planescape, but since it's not we're moving to a new setting, and believe me when I say it's a very interesting, unusual setting. No standard fantasy or anything.

Hopefully something good will come out of this. Never played Planescape, though I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. Like, A LOT of good stuff. So any kind of follow up is welcome. We need more well written games. Hoping for the best.

Blothulfur said:
So what's the collective opinion on what made Torment so distinctive? For me it was thinky on the old noggin, very personal, unashamedly verbose, very reactive and all set in a rich very stylised setting that was intriguing and explorable.
Beautiful, gorgeous, stunning, amazing writing. In great gobs, all over the place.

The slowly dawning realization that my past selves had been assholes ... but I didn't want to be an asshole, and I wanted to put that right.

Wonderfully creative ideas for lots of things, including settings (The Brothel of Slaking Intellectual Lusts, I mean, whoever heard of such a thing ).

Interesting companions, all of whom had secrets or back stories that I wanted to know more about.

The game was so smart, so fresh, so personal.

In other words, exactly what you said.

Guest 2091327

Corylea said:
Wonderfully creative ideas for lots of things, including settings (The Brothel of Slaking Intellectual Lusts, I mean, whoever heard of such a thing ).

That alone blew my socks off. Such a wonderful game. Reminds me, I still have a playthrough that was in the mid-game phase. Need to go back to it one day.

It is now officially confirmed (even though it was completely obvious anyway).
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/
Changing the name of the topic now.

Guest 2091327

Why call it Torment if they are using a new universe? Not sure I like that.

Hope they manage to create a good game from this new universe, but I think they should name it accordingly instead of relying on the good Torment name. That game is sacred. Wish them luck though, another game with many of the gameplay elements of Torment would be great.

Pangaea said:

Hope they manage to create a good game from this new universe, but I think they should name it accordingly instead of relying on the good Torment name. That game is sacred. Wish them luck though, another game with many of the gameplay elements of Torment would be great.

Yeah, I'm reserving judgement so far. OK, so they've got a few ticks in checkboxes, but it's still smoke and mirrors.

Pangaea said:

Why does the universe matter about the name? Planescape was just a setting it had nothing to do with the name and from what I've read they basically threw the rules out anyway. Granted I don't think them using the name is necessary for anything but some brand recognition but if that helps and they want to name it that I don't really care.

to celebrate this great new news I drew the Namelessone drinking with fall from grace http://albertwint.com/gallery3/index.php/Witcher-2-Planescape-Torment-drawings/bar-1147023627

On the fence, this Numenera world sounds bloody interesting and there are a lot of stalwart names that I trust on the project, it's just that Torment without Avellone sounds kind of wrong.

Blothulfur said:
On the fence, this Numenera world sounds bloody interesting and there are a lot of stalwart names that I trust on the project, it's just that Torment without Avellone sounds kind of wrong.
Yeah a shame he's busy on Project Eternity but something of note is on Wasteland 2's facebook Brian Fargo said that the successor won't even start production until Wasteland 2 is done so there may be a chance Avellone could be involved later. Don't quote me on that though I'm just speculating/hoping.

Top Bottom