DirectX & OpenGL getting Mantle-like low-level access (GDC '14)

+
DirectX & OpenGL getting Mantle-like low-level access (GDC '14)

Finally! :thumbsup:

I was kind of expecting this to happen since Mantle got announced. Appears that Microsoft needed a nice firm kick in the butt to come to their senses.
Anyway, GDC is less than a month away and we can look forward to some very interesting presentations from Microsoft and Nvidia about much needed improvements in Direct3D and OpenGL.

:cheers:

It will probably be available only in the newest versions, and they have slow rate of adoption so far. It's a good development nevertheless.

Aver

Forum veteran
Good thing, but those DirectX features will be probably exclusive for new versions of Windows as usual.

I told you guys DirectX and OpenGL would be getting Mantle like low-level access.

Microsoft wants this with DirectX 11.2 and DirectX 11.3 or DirectX 12 and Nvidia was pushing for OpenGL to do it like over a month ago.

This really will possibly mean Mantle will be Dead on Arrival (DoA). Some video game development companies cannot support 2 API's or more than 2 API's it is costly for them.

So the logical choice is to support DirectX or OpenGL.

Last edited:

Aver

Forum veteran
Another reason for developers to prefer OpenGL.

There are plenty of reasons for a long time, but for some reason DirectX complete dominates market. Flying Wild Hog said that they would love to use OpenGL, but unless you have Carmack in your team then it's really hard to optimize game using it.

Flying Wild Hog said that they would love to use OpenGL, but unless you have Carmack in your team then it's really hard to optimize game using it.

That's bunk. If they can't optimize things, they can't do it in Direct3D either. I think Valve's push for SteamOS will tip the balance at last.

That's bunk. If they can't optimize things, they can't do it in Direct3D either. I think Valve's push for SteamOS will tip the balance at last.
I don't believe VALVe's SteamOS will take off. I have been hearing for quite a few years that Linux will take off and it never did. I also heard for quite a few years that MAC will tak off it never did. People who purchase PC's and like to play PC versions of video games on PC just prefer Windows more over any other Operating System's (OS's). I am the same way I do not care to switch to any other Operating System (OS) at all I will stay with Windows for the rest of my life. Brand loyalty you call it I guess. Even Intel has partnership with Microsoft to use Windows and not Linux. Al though Intel uses Linux for Research and Development (R&D). Intel has made it clear to stick to Windows for their work and by work I mean everything else other than Research & Development (R&D).

Windows 8.1 grew like 20% ever since VALVe announced SteamOS and released SteamOS in beta. at least that's what I read from a PC gamer article at the beginning of this month I think. Interesting I think I got that PC gamer article wrong. Now I have to look for it.

Ok I found it. 20% of PC gamers polled in Steam's hardware survey said they are using Windows 8. Which is for both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 combined.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/03/s...y-shows-20-of-polled-users-now-run-windows-8/

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it take off? It's more flexible than either Xbox or PS systems. There is no point to compare it to desktop situation, it's console systems we are talking about, and while consoles are stuck with current players there is plenty of room for competition.

I.e. I see no point in comparing SeamOS to Windows. Compare it to Xbox and PS OSes primarily. Since Valve were wise enough not to reinvent the wheel though, SteamOS will benefit desktop Linux directly and its adoption will boost Linux on the desktop as well. So I'd say it's a serious threat for MS from all sides.

Brand loyalty to Windows? That's something I see no logic in altogether. Why not have "brand loyalty" to horses and carriages and claim you'll use them for the rest of your life instead of using trains for example? It's the same kind of thing. I.e. not rational, just "brand loyalty".

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it take off? It's more flexible than either Xbox or PS systems. There is no point to compare it to desktop situation, it's console systems we are talking about, and while consoles are stuck with current players there is plenty of room for competition.

I.e. I see no point in comparing SeamOS to Windows. Compare it to Xbox and PS OSes primarily. Since Valve were wise enough not to reinvent the wheel though, SteamOS will benefit desktop Linux directly and its adoption will boost Linux on the desktop as well. So I'd say it's a serious threat for MS from all sides.

Brand loyalty to Windows? That's something I see no logic in altogether. Why not have "brand loyalty" to horses and carriages and claim you'll use them for the rest of your life instead of using trains for example? It's the same kind of thing. I.e. not rational, just "brand loyalty".
Oh I thought you were comparing to PC's. My bad.

@ballowers100: Valve position SteamOS as a console system, so it only makes sense to compare it to other console systems first. Of course it's much closer to regular desktop system than other console OSes because it's regular Linux in its core, but at least the user interface is clearly console driven.

If anything the Seam Box will vastly increase the popularity of PC games.

Furthermore since the controller is actually designed so you can play mother fucking strategy games we might see a resurgence in that genre.

Aver

Forum veteran
Furthermore since the controller is actually designed so you can play mother fucking strategy games we might see a resurgence in that genre.

You are the first fan of strategy games that is optimistic about Steam Box that I see. Most of people believe that strategy games will end up being simplified for sake of being playable on Steam controller and because on TV see you can't put so many statistic with tiny numbers.

Most hardcore PC exclusive fans are also narrow minded when it comes to console games and how strategy might work on a TV. BFME2 and Rise of the Witch King did work pretty well on both and Xbox although the controller did severely limit army sizes.

But now Creative Assembly is talking of Total War: Rome 2 on the console, which has 40 units to control!

Top Bottom