Possible memory leak on PC?

+
After about an hour or so (sometimes a couple) my framerate drops drastically from a steady 120 to 64 and sometimes lower. I've tested it numerous times at the exact same locations, exact same saves; as soon as the game started chugging I saved, quit the game, restarted it and voila -- flawless victory.

Anyone else suffering from this? If not I might have to take a good hard look at my rig.. Troubleshooting, yay.

Last edited:
After many many hours (7?) , I sometimes start to get a visual bug related to the ray tracing. Dark shadows move through the screen and the framerate does drop some. A reload of the game fixes it. nvidia 2080 super. It does not always happen.

I've got an RTX 2060 Super OC 8gb btw.
It's so frustrating, especially since I don't see many people have the same issue and I really can't be arsed to reinstall Windows again or go through a troubleshoot hell.
Post automatically merged:

After many many hours (7?) , I sometimes start to get a visual bug related to the ray tracing. Dark shadows move through the screen and the framerate does drop some. A reload of the game fixes it. nvidia 2080 super. It does not always happen.

Yeah it seems to be sporadic here, too. Sometimes it's fine for hours. Oh well, CDPR have a hefty buglist on their hands lol. Still enjoying the game thoroughly, on PC it's at least beautiful and playable for 99.99% of the time. 250 hours in, on to the next 250!

Same, framerate drops in some random areas too. Game has VRAM and RAM leaks.

I'm experiencing it as well, but I think they are aware of this issue.

From 1.05 patch notes:

'Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game. '

I'm experiencing it as well, but I think they are aware of this issue.

From 1.05 patch notes:

'Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game. '

Ahh I see! But, it's from an old patch so wouldn't that imply they supposedly fixed it? Were on 1.06 now. :(

This is my system:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15406902

Only on this game I have random stuttering when driving or moving camera fast, it's random and very specific, sometimes it doesn't even register as low framerate but you can feel the stuttering.

RAM and Infinity Fabric are perfectly synchronized with each other are 1633Mhz here (3266Mhz RAM), that's not what's causing any stuttering.

Disabling or Enabling the videocard manuak overclock I have does nothing.

Latest cleanly installed drivers.

Zero problems with any other demanding game.

CP2077 has a very, very, poorly optimized engine and overall should have many extra graphic options and ways to scale details better (specially Ray Tracing, there should be more intervals to select many different levels of RT settings), game should run ~30% faster than it does (for how it looks compared to other games) on any decent hardware, let alone higher end parts.

Seems to me it also has RAM and VRAM leaking problems as many state performance get worse over time and is always better when restating the game.

After about an hour or so my framerate drops drastically from a steady 120 to 64 and sometimes lower. I've tested it numerous times at the exact same locations, exact same saves; as soon as the game started chugging I saved, quit the game, restarted it and voila -- flawless victory.

Anyone else suffering from this? If not I might have to take a good hard look at my rig.. Troubleshooting, yay.

Yeah, I might be noticing the same thing too(haven't tested it really, just a general feeling).

I was wondering if its a problem with the memory or streaming engine(or maybe both, who knows).

When I hear mention of re-installing windows in a thread like this..... No one should ever resort to re-installing windows because one game, which is a new release, has FPS drops and other issues. Much more likely that the issue lies in the game code, or in the video driver stack.

Also, it is important to realize that newer GPU generations, just like any other tech, are going to be buggy in their early years of the lifecycle. Sorry, but that is the reality.

So I would sit tight and wait for fixes, or, if you can find ways of triggering the problem then by all means submit a bug report.

I can say that as someone who plays this game on a GTX-1080, I see no issues that indicate a memory leak -- either system RAM or VRAM on the GPU. But as one who has a 10 series card, I also don't have the ray tracing features.

Again, that is technology that is in its infancy. If you want a more stable experience, then perhaps not using the newer features would be a good idea.

Lastly, over the years I have seen it fix my strange problems by using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to wipe the GPU driver completely from windows and re-install. For me personally, that is about the most drastic action I would take if only one game is problematic.

Heh, the fact that this ''fix'' was all over the internet like a Godly solution says a lot about how easily bad info travels around.

You tube videos with half a million views, reddit posts with 20.000 karma, blog posts, even my 85 years old grandmother learned about the famous file memory_pool_budgets.csv. :ok:

Ahh I see! But, it's from an old patch so wouldn't that imply they supposedly fixed it? Were on 1.06 now. :(
I wouldn't call it an 'old' patch. I doubt this sort of issue can be fixed in a couple of days, though; otherwise I believe they'd have fixed it by now. The game is in rough shape, and they've got to prioritise since there are much graver bugs that need to be fixed.

Heh, the fact that this ''fix'' was all over the internet like a Godly solution says a lot about how easily bad info travels around.

You tube videos with half a million views, reddit posts with 20.000 karma, blog posts, even my 85 years old grandmother learned about the famous file memory_pool_budgets.csv. :ok:
Yep, gotta learn not to trust everything people say on reddit. You never know if it's a 12 year old giving you some advice.

When I hear mention of re-installing windows in a thread like this..... No one should ever resort to re-installing windows because one game, which is a new release, has FPS drops and other issues. Much more likely that the issue lies in the game code, or in the video driver stack.

Also, it is important to realize that newer GPU generations, just like any other tech, are going to be buggy in their early years of the lifecycle. Sorry, but that is the reality.

So I would sit tight and wait for fixes, or, if you can find ways of triggering the problem then by all means submit a bug report.

I can say that as someone who plays this game on a GTX-1080, I see no issues that indicate a memory leak -- either system RAM or VRAM on the GPU. But as one who has a 10 series card, I also don't have the ray tracing features.

Again, that is technology that is in its infancy. If you want a more stable experience, then perhaps not using the newer features would be a good idea.

Lastly, over the years I have seen it fix my strange problems by using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to wipe the GPU driver completely from windows and re-install. For me personally, that is about the most drastic action I would take if only one game is problematic.

True, you shouldn't. But, these days with fast nvme's and fast usb sticks it takes literally 5-10 mins to install Windows. The horror begins after, when you need to reinstall all your programs (I refuse to call them apps lol) and settings and customization etc. ugh.

It's a brute force 'solution' and sometimes helps. But only if your (Windows) config is fucked, not if the game is at fault which in this case does indeed seem to be the case. :(

I wouldn't call it an 'old' patch. I doubt this sort of issue can be fixed in a couple of days, though; otherwise I believe they'd have fixed it by now. The game is in rough shape, and they've got to prioritise since there are much graver bugs that need to be fixed.

Yep, gotta learn not to trust everything people say on reddit. You never know if it's a 12 year old giving you some advice.

True, we'll have to wait and see the coming months. I had the same patience with Witcher 3 so it's only fair to have it now. I trust in the core team of CDPR.

This is my system:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15406902

Only on this game I have random stuttering when driving or moving camera fast, it's random and very specific, sometimes it doesn't even register as low framerate but you can feel the stuttering.

RAM and Infinity Fabric are perfectly synchronized with each other are 1633Mhz here (3266Mhz RAM), that's not what's causing any stuttering.

Disabling or Enabling the videocard manuak overclock I have does nothing.

Latest cleanly installed drivers.

Zero problems with any other demanding game.

CP2077 has a very, very, poorly optimized engine and overall should have many extra graphic options and ways to scale details better (specially Ray Tracing, there should be more intervals to select many different levels of RT settings), game should run ~30% faster than it does (for how it looks compared to other games) on any decent hardware, let alone higher end parts.

Seems to me it also has RAM and VRAM leaking problems as many state performance get worse over time and is always better when restating the game.

I've noticed that enabling Slow HDD mode on SSD/NVME has a very noticeable effect on that. It does suck up more VRAM in return, though. It's not advised if you're at 6gb or below. My VRAM usage never goes over 7gb so it did work wonders for me.

The supposed leaking however..

There are definitely some problems in this game engine.

For me it's sometimes sufficient to quick save and then load this save to get rid of the frame rate drops.

Good tip, I'll have to try that one out! I always just lazily Alt F4 and instantly press play since on nvme and removing intro mod it takes 5 seconds to get in game from desktop.

True, you shouldn't. But, these days with fast nvme's and fast usb sticks it takes literally 5-10 mins to install Windows. The horror begins after, when you need to reinstall all your programs (I refuse to call them apps lol) and settings and customization etc. ugh.

It's a brute force 'solution' and sometimes helps. But only if your (Windows) config is fucked, not if the game is at fault which in this case does indeed seem to be the case. :(

True, we'll have to wait and see the coming months. I had the same patience with Witcher 3 so it's only fair to have it now. I trust in the core team of CDPR.

I've noticed that enabling Slow HDD mode on SSD/NVME has a very noticeable effect on that. It does suck up more VRAM in return, though. It's not advised if you're at 6gb or below. My VRAM usage never goes over 7gb so it did work wonders for me.

The supposed leaking however..

Good tip, I'll have to try that one out! I always just lazily Alt F4 and instantly press play since on nvme and removing intro mod it takes 5 seconds to get in game from desktop.
Thanks for the tip, will try it out. But I do have two 1tb Adata XPG S41 Nvmes in Raid0 (2Tb total), so it shouldn't be a problem. Then again, I also have 32Gb of 3266mhz RAM avaliable...

Maybe the cache memory saturates after several hours of games, I have the same problem on normal RTX 2060, generally I restart the game and no more problems

Thanks for the tip, will try it out. But I do have two 1tb Adata XPG S41 Nvmes in Raid0 (2Tb total), so it shouldn't be a problem. Then again, I also have 32Gb of 3266mhz RAM avaliable...

It uses more VRAM, and possibly more system RAM, so make sure you have 8gb or more VRAM (video memory, sorry if it didn't come across). It's worth trying out for a while, I notice it most while driving around at high speeds. It feels counter intuitive, I know, I've got one of the fastest NVME drives but as you know, RAM and especially VRAM is infinitely faster. GL!

Maybe the cache memory saturates after several hours of games, I have the same problem on normal RTX 2060, generally I restart the game and no more problems

Yeah exactly, was thinking something along those lines. Do hope they fix it, it's rather annoying because sometimes you don't know whether the cache is full/memory is leaking or whether it's just your system struggling due to poor optimization. Restarting does always seem to fix it indeed.

It uses more VRAM, and possibly more system RAM, so make sure you have 8gb or more VRAM (video memory, sorry if it didn't come across). It's worth trying out for a while, I notice it most while driving around at high speeds. It feels counter intuitive, I know, I've got one of the fastest NVME drives but as you know, RAM and especially VRAM is infinitely faster. GL!

Yeah exactly, was thinking something along those lines. Do hope they fix it, it's rather annoying because sometimes you don't know whether the cache is full/memory is leaking or whether it's just your system struggling due to poor optimization. Restarting does always seem to fix it indeed.
Thanks, will sure try

Top Bottom