Why do characters have phones?

+
So, just about everyone in the game has the ability to call just about anyone else via holo, using whatever software is in their heads. Yet sometimes you still see people calling others on mobile phones too. Shouldn't they be obsolete by now? Like i'm sure there's a scene where you speak to Rogue at Afterlife and she's talking to someone on the holo then she pulls out a phone and uses that. Just doesn't seem to make any sense, unless it's for like burner reasons, but nothing like that is ever specified

How else would you take a selfie? ;)

Unless you can take your (kiroshi) eye out and put it on a stick.

Or put a stick in your eye, then take it out.

Oh but then you look like a pirate in your selfie. Hence why people still need phones. Selfies.

Last edited:
So, just about everyone in the game has the ability to call just about anyone else via holo, using whatever software is in their heads. Yet sometimes you still see people calling others on mobile phones too. Shouldn't they be obsolete by now? Like i'm sure there's a scene where you speak to Rogue at Afterlife and she's talking to someone on the holo then she pulls out a phone and uses that. Just doesn't seem to make any sense, unless it's for like burner reasons, but nothing like that is ever specified

i'd say not everybody is chipped to have ability to communicate through holo..

Probably question of how affordable and widespread it is. Functions. Usability. Maybe smartphones remain the basic way of communication. Just like stationary phones were a norm for 100 years, despite alternatives like mobile phones appeared in 70s. 77 isn't THAT much into the future. Progress slowed down.

i'd say not everybody is chipped to have ability to communicate through holo..

Most characters i've seen use phones though have all been chromed up in some capacity. It's probably just a random npc animation that any of them can do at any time, but I find it funny regardless

Maybe cause mobile phones...I don't know...Never go out of style? Do you think? :)

Maybe cause mobile phones...I don't know...Never go out of style? Do you think? :)

I personally think if we did have the ability to holo call people somehow, that mobile phones absolutely would go out of style. They'd probably mostly be kept by old people who don't want to get chipped and retro tech enthusiasts.

If they are going to keep phones, I'd like to see them become more like the 'comms' units in The Expanse series, with larger glowing holo-graphics displays and used to interact with panels and systems and also a more immersive experience when calling or receiving calls...

I think they are used (at least to some extent) for storytelling purpose. Similar to how in movies and TV shows people (or even AI) explain with speech what they are doing when they are interacting with computers, control panels etc. Like "I am raising the shields!" or "Initiating evasive manoeuvres!". It is stupid, but otherwise we would have no idea what they are doing when pressing those buttons.

Similarly without the mobile phones as objects in game world, it would be hard to communicate to the player that NPCs are communicating via exchange of electromagnetic waves.

Top Bottom