The New Patch Information Thread

+
Mich-666;n8109420 said:
Am I the only one who thinks the positioning can very much ruin the enjoyment of the game in the long term? I mean we already have the rows, why to even add more card positioning in the first place? Why to have rows even? This mechanic will be pretty much big annoyance for high-unit decks, not to mention it lowers counterability of many others. And I really don't like the idea that from now on I would have to think no only about the cards order and their usefullness during mulligan but also about their potential to be in position with each other. It gets needlessly complicated and in effect it actually lowers the player's ability to quickly and clearly asset the current situation which is the exactly the opposite they should do, eg. to make the game clearly readable and easy to learn but complex to master at the same time.

Not to menion the amount of clicks to do something now just skyrocketed, with many cards having the need to define its targets instead of applying the effect to the row.

I am sorry to say it but this wasn't probably the brightest idea they ever had and it can potentionally ruin the game. In ever other card game I know that has positioning this mechanic was almost always a bother, not very fun thing to play. Would be actually very happy if CDPR rethinked (and probably even scratched) this gameplay mechanic as I really don't think it will benefit the game as they would think it do and that it will be offputting for many casual players (which is probably the real opposite they would wanted). Ofc, that's not to say to make the game too much casual but why to change the core of the something that wasn't really broken in the first place?

I think with the change to buffs and in order to prevent excessive row-stacking (which in general across all decks is too powerful at the moment), it is necessary. Positioning on rows is one of the few things I am actually optimistic about in the new patch, because it encourages more thought and long-term planning. It also opens up for additional card mechanics such as swapping (already seeing hints of that in the reworked Kiera Metz).

Nimraphel;n8109540 said:
I think with the change to buffs and in order to prevent excessive row-stacking (which in general across all decks is too powerful at the moment), it is necessary. Positioning on rows is one of the few things I am actually optimistic about in the new patch, because it encourages more thought and long-term planning. It also opens up for additional card mechanics such as swapping (already seeing hints of that in the reworked Kiera Metz).

What I'm actaully trying to say here is that it actaully lowers the pace of the game which is not a good thing in any sense. The increased complexity is not necessarily a bad thing but your unability to quickly calculate your opponent strength and your ability to win if you pass for example, is something of very big concern. The time to process everything in your thought increases A LOT. Now if there are cards that could actually swap your and opponnent's card order this "unability to quickly assess current situation" multiplies to the point when you actually can't make knowledgable decision about your next move. And that's never a good thing.

Not to mention it actually limits the way in which you could build your deck because your would need to take all of those things in account when doing so. Which means less variability and even more "stick to current meta if you want to win" strategy.

Mich-666;n8109700 said:
What I'm actaully trying to say here is that it actaully lowers the pace of the game which is not a good thing in any sense. The increased complexity is not necessarily a bad thing but your unability to quickly calculate your opponent strength and your ability to win if you pass for example, is something of very big concern. The time to process everything in your thought increases A LOT. Now if there are cards that could actually swap your and opponnent's card order this "unability to quickly assess current situation" multiplies to the point when you actually can't make knowledgable decision about your next move. And that's never a good thing.

Not to mention it actually limits the way in which you could build your deck because your would need to take all of those things in account when doing so. Which means less variability and even more "stick to current meta if you want to win" strategy.

That is a valid concern. I am not sure it will be the case, but I can relate to the thoughts and the concern. I think this is one of the very few cases where I will use the old cliché and say "it's Closed Beta - let's give it a try, test the hell out of it, and take it from there." I sincerely hope CDPR will be ready to "kill their darling" if it ends up like you describe.

Positioning brings nothing new to the game if weather remains untouched. It just worsens the situation because you cannot counterplay weather with a lot of things anymore.
I'm not a fan of the way things are changing. venom being a flat 4-4-4 instead of something like 3-5-3/3-6-3 same for commanders horn 2-2-4-4-2-2 / 1-2-3-4-3-2-1.

Changing things this way does balance other things as well. It makes G:Igni not an auto include in many decks for example, weakens Scorch (and Borkh), Rot Tosser into weather, weather into Epidemic.

I'd still argue that spawning weather from left or right would still be the best way to include it into positioning. the effect lessens with each card so you can actually play weather immune units to tank the strongest effect weather and play around that instead of going full "I need that gone or I'm totally screwed". If you want you can even go ahead and make it possible to play it twice from both sides.

HenryGrosmont;n8105620 said:
And with inability to target golden units... I'm gonna grab some popcorn.

Her only counter now is Eithné. :comeatmebro: And even before only Radovid could have killed her.

Skellige Herald is changed too I think now he is damaging 2 to all opposing non-gold units only. Check Herald description in twitch live feed where they are selecting deck to play.

ispyy;n8110530 said:
Positioning brings nothing new to the game if weather remains untouched. It just worsens the situation because you cannot counterplay weather with a lot of things anymore.
I'm not a fan of the way things are changing. venom being a flat 4-4-4 instead of something like 3-5-3/3-6-3 same for commanders horn 2-2-4-4-2-2 / 1-2-3-4-3-2-1.

Changing things this way does balance other things as well. It makes G:Igni not an auto include in many decks for example, weakens Scorch (and Borkh), Rot Tosser into weather, weather into Epidemic.

I'd still argue that spawning weather from left or right would still be the best way to include it into positioning. the effect lessens with each card so you can actually play weather immune units to tank the strongest effect weather and play around that instead of going full "I need that gone or I'm totally screwed". If you want you can even go ahead and make it possible to play it twice from both sides.

Definitely better and more interesting suggestions here. I don't know if it would add too much complexity, but it would most certainly diminish the row-stacking while retaining value vs. Weather.

Like you, I see the binary, unchanged "all or nothing" weather as the largest challenge in the upcoming patch. Right now it's manageable and not really an issue once you're past beginner level/newly started, but post-patch I can also imagine it will become problematic.

The incremental weather debuff or your suggestion would alleviate the problems; weather would remain powerful, while not being binary.

Esclive;n8110590 said:
Her only counter now is Eithné. :comeatmebro: And even before only Radovid could have killed her.

Zoltan and Eithne are now the King and Queen of ST.

Reinforced Trebuchet - Every turn, Remove 1 strength from a random opposing non-gold unit.
Priscilla - Draw 1 non-gold card face up and 1 non-gold card face down. Play 1 and randomly place the other in your deck.

This changes I have seen in twitch live feed so not sure if they going to change it in final patch or not.

HenryGrosmont;n8110750 said:
Isn't it "every two tuns" for Trebuchet?

HenryGrosmont;n8112160 said:
As I wrote"since you can't target gold units".

I'm not sure to understand what you're suggesting. You'd like her to be 10str again because gold cards can't target her anymore? But Why? Back in the days no one would target her with gold cards because those cards didn't have enough damage to kill her. The reason why she wasn't played was because she had too much strength and she was too situationnal, not because gold card could target her.

No one else is really mad about this update? Here are my thoughts:
-D. shackles lock a unit? If thats the case, every resilience Units are totally useless from now on.
-Lorveth and triss are basicly bronze now?
-Zoltan Animal Tamer is totally useless now and in a dwarf deck (buff deck) the normal Zoltan will also be useless.
-Cantarella and Vrans are still too weak
-Draug and Succubus, both too strong
-Nekker unbreedable is fine, but then they should change Monster nest aswell
-Longships still suck and Milva is still useless

yea and no comment to the trebuchets..

xiong2mao;n8107630 said:
It might be worth mentioning that Rally and Clear Skies will remain in the graveyard.

Dudu is the halfling / shapeshifter, not the parrot. I don't know the English name of the parrot (something like Fieldmareshal Dub).

Thanks for pointing that out.

Mich-666;n8109420 said:
Am I the only one who thinks the positioning can very much ruin the enjoyment of the game in the long term?

I was also wondering about that. So I made a thread to discuss it.

TH3WITCH3R;n8110720 said:
Reinforced Trebuchet - Every turn, Remove 1 strength from a random opposing non-gold unit.
Priscilla - Draw 1 non-gold card face up and 1 non-gold card face down. Play 1 and randomly place the other in your deck.

Added. Thanks.

Top Bottom