Cyberpunk 2077 System Shut Downs

+
I've been having weird system shut downs while playing 2077, I don't know what the cause could be and it's really frustrating. I also just cleaned my pc (shut downs were happening before this) and checked all my graphics and psu connections. Currently playing at 1440p with ray tracing and upscaling, GPU temps look normal in the 50s and CPU temps in the low 70s. As far as I can tell when playing TLOU Remastered I'm not having these same shutdown issues even when playing at maximum fidelity and drawing lots of power. I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me on this because I love this game and want to keep playing it and it's quite upsetting to have these issues.

Here are my pc specs:

Lian Li Lancool 3 case
ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
DeepCool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Raphael AM5 4.7GHz
ASUS B650-A ROG Strix Motherboard
Corsair RMx Series RM1000x 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold
Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe

Have you looked at your event viewer?

System shut downs should be showing up in your event viewer as critical or error under either application or system depending on what caused the problem. Typically it's system related. Try looking for any error/critical log around the same time your last crash happened. You should have some logged event telling you outright what happened or, at least, pointing you in a direction.

Have you looked at your event viewer?

System shut downs should be showing up in your event viewer as critical or error under either application or system depending on what caused the problem. Typically it's system related. Try looking for any error/critical log around the same time your last crash happened. You should have some logged event telling you outright what happened or, at least, pointing you in a direction.
All I'm seeing is that the previous shutdown was unexpected in the log. Error ID seems to be Kernel Power 41. I'll try updating the bios if there's something new. Apologies I'm not super tech savvy so there could be something I'm missing.

See any warnings leading up to the crashes?

Go back 5-10 minutes tops.

To be clear, it is possible that your event log won't have anything. It's pretty rare but it happens. It would have been an easy way to locate the issue.

Simply put, your issue is typical of hardware failure. I'm not saying THAT is what it is at this point but it point to it.

Last edited:
See any warnings leading up to the crashes?

Go back 5-10 minutes tops.

To be clear, it is possible that your event log won't have anything. It's pretty rare but it happens. It would have been an easy way to locate the issue.

Simply put, your issue is typical of hardware failure. I'm not saying THAT is what it is at this point but it point to it.
Tried it again, got a crash after about 15 minutes of play, noted the time. Most recent errors are:
Previous system shutdown was unexpected (additionally it's recording the shutdown as happening roughly 10 minutes before it actually happened) - Recorded at time after boot
REDLauncher.exe application error - Recorded ~15 minutes before shutdown
Windows game bar did not register with DCOM within required timeout - Recorded ~15 minutes before shutdown
Additionally on boot I saw this error:
AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service failed to start, system file cannot be specified

I'm a team green guy so I don't have as much experience with AMD specific issues but looking around, it seems like this is a fairly "common" issue that started happening around September of last year and could very well be the source of your reboots.

From what I can find with a very cursory search, it's driver related and is causing PCs to reboot due to your GPU "crashing".

Are your drivers updated to the latest version?

If the answer yes, you could give DDU a shot. Apparently the issue can be caused by a bad update that leaves various traces of older drivers in your registry and causes the issue. DDU should clean that right up.

I'm a team green guy so I don't have as much experience with AMD specific issues but looking around, it seems like this is a fairly "common" issue that started happening around September of last year and could very well be the source of your reboots.

From what I can find with a very cursory search, it's driver related and is causing PCs to reboot due to your GPU "crashing".

Are your drivers updated to the latest version?

If the answer yes, you could give DDU a shot. Apparently the issue can be caused by a bad update that leaves various traces of older drivers in your registry and causes the issue. DDU should clean that right up.
I found something similar, drivers are the latest version. I'll give DDU a shot, thank you for your assistance!

I've been having weird system shut downs while playing 2077, I don't know what the cause could be and it's really frustrating. I also just cleaned my pc (shut downs were happening before this) and checked all my graphics and psu connections. Currently playing at 1440p with ray tracing and upscaling, GPU temps look normal in the 50s and CPU temps in the low 70s. As far as I can tell when playing TLOU Remastered I'm not having these same shutdown issues even when playing at maximum fidelity and drawing lots of power. I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me on this because I love this game and want to keep playing it and it's quite upsetting to have these issues.

Here are my pc specs:

Lian Li Lancool 3 case
ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
DeepCool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Raphael AM5 4.7GHz
ASUS B650-A ROG Strix Motherboard
Corsair RMx Series RM1000x 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold
Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe

Until recently, I had a simiar problem to you. I have a similar spec machine as yours except that I have an NVIDIA RTX3080. After the last patch, Cyberpunk would crash my PC after 15 or 20 mins (black screen, GPU fans would suddenly hit full speed, and then a reboot was needed). The game seemed to crash when the card got to around 83° or more. I had installed all the latest Windows updates, graphics drivers, clean install of the game and even Windows...etc etc. I had even added another fan to blow cool air at the GPU. But it still kept crashing. It got to the point that I even sent my card back to store I bought it from, RMA, for testing (as a couple of other games had also started to crash). They had my card for 2 weeks, did tests, found no problems, so sent it back to me. So, I tried one last thing. I followed some online advice, that said to make sure the PC was connected directly to a mains wall socket, and not into an extension plug/socket/lead, however you want to call them. So, I did that.

I've since played Cyberpunk for around 2 to 3 hours without any crashes.
I've also played some other STEAM games, again they didn't crash either. This may not work for you, But if you, or anyone else has their PC plugged into an extenstion lead (especially one thats a few years old) maybe give this a go.

The only other thing maybe try is to run MSI afterburner and see if you can spot when the game crashes (does the card go above 80° fairly quickly)? Maybe even run the game in windowed mode, and make sure no unnecessary background apps are running. And definitely switch ray tracing off while testing. That can stress your card a lot. Also, is your card factory overclocked? If so, and if it has a Dual BIOS switch, then switch it to Silent mode if its in OC mode.
For me, I spent around 2 months or more trying to figure out why the GPU kept crashing, and, so far, it 'seems' to have been the way I had my PC connected to the mains. I Hope you get the problem sorted, I know it was driving me mad.

✌️

Give it a shot, let us know if it works. Hopefully it's really that simple.
Ok I've tried a number of things today, clean wiping using AMD's Cleanup Utility software, clean wiping using DDU, and plugging directly into the wall socket as another user suggested rather than using my spike bar. All 3 have failed, I am no longer getting the V22 error (although that appears to be because V20 is the only one installed at the moment) but I am still getting the REDLauncher error when launching cyberpunk. I think this has to be an error on their or AMD's end. I'll keep submitting bug reports, hopefully this gets fixed at some point, I'd rather not switch to team green but I'm not going to hold onto a $1,000 brick out of sentimental value. I believe that DDU did completely wipe all drivers but it seems when installing Adrenaline (AMD's gpu software) it reinstalls AMDRyzenMasterV20 as I checked after installing the chipset drivers and it wasn't there and it was after installing the latest version of Adrenaline.
Post automatically merged:

Until recently, I had a simiar problem to you. I have a similar spec machine as yours except that I have an NVIDIA RTX3080. After the last patch, Cyberpunk would crash my PC after 15 or 20 mins (black screen, GPU fans would suddenly hit full speed, and then a reboot was needed). The game seemed to crash when the card got to around 83° or more. I had installed all the latest Windows updates, graphics drivers, clean install of the game and even Windows...etc etc. I had even added another fan to blow cool air at the GPU. But it still kept crashing. It got to the point that I even sent my card back to store I bought it from, RMA, for testing (as a couple of other games had also started to crash). They had my card for 2 weeks, did tests, found no problems, so sent it back to me. So, I tried one last thing. I followed some online advice, that said to make sure the PC was connected directly to a mains wall socket, and not into an extension plug/socket/lead, however you want to call them. So, I did that.

I've since played Cyberpunk for around 2 to 3 hours without any crashes.
I've also played some other STEAM games, again they didn't crash either. This may not work for you, But if you, or anyone else has their PC plugged into an extenstion lead (especially one thats a few years old) maybe give this a go.

The only other thing maybe try is to run MSI afterburner and see if you can spot when the game crashes (does the card go above 80° fairly quickly)? Maybe even run the game in windowed mode, and make sure no unnecessary background apps are running. And definitely switch ray tracing off while testing. That can stress your card a lot. Also, is your card factory overclocked? If so, and if it has a Dual BIOS switch, then switch it to Silent mode if its in OC mode.
For me, I spent around 2 months or more trying to figure out why the GPU kept crashing, and, so far, it 'seems' to have been the way I had my PC connected to the mains. I Hope you get the problem sorted, I know it was driving me mad.

✌️
Ok I've tried a number of things today, clean wiping using AMD's Cleanup Utility software, clean wiping using DDU, and plugging directly into the wall socket as you suggested rather than using my spike bar. All 3 have failed, I am no longer getting the V22 error (although that appears to be because V20 is the only one installed at the moment) but I am still getting the REDLauncher error when launching cyberpunk. I think this has to be an error on their or AMD's end. I'll keep submitting bug reports, hopefully this gets fixed at some point, I'd rather not switch to team green but I'm not going to hold onto a $1,000 brick out of sentimental value. I believe that DDU did completely wipe all drivers but it seems when installing Adrenaline (AMD's gpu software) it reinstalls AMDRyzenMasterV20 as I checked after installing the chipset drivers and it wasn't there and it was after installing the latest version of Adrenaline.

Huh, that's disappointing. Would have been a nice and easy fix.

I have no doubt DDU did it's job well. If there is one utility software out there I trust to clean any trace of GPUs, it's DDU. It does it better than both Nvidia's and AMD's software.

Just to be clear, you're getting a different error message now but is the end result the same? Your PC is rebooting?

We're still very much in "your GPU is the issue" territory but I wouldn't say you're ready to go out and switch to team green already. More specifically, from what I can see your specific GPU launched November 23rd, 2023. In other words, it's still under warranty. Before going out and buying a new GPU, I'd suggest going through the RMA process.

Have you ran any benchmarking tools on your GPU?

Your problem reminds me of another issue I've seen a lot more of these last few years. When your PC reboots. Does it actually reboot on it's own or do you have to do it? If you have to do it, are you sure it turned off completely or is it only your screen that turned black?

Huh, that's disappointing. Would have been a nice and easy fix.

I have no doubt DDU did it's job well. If there is one utility software out there I trust to clean any trace of GPUs, it's DDU. It does it better than both Nvidia's and AMD's software.

Just to be clear, you're getting a different error message now but is the end result the same? Your PC is rebooting?

We're still very much in "your GPU is the issue" territory but I wouldn't say you're ready to go out and switch to team green already. More specifically, from what I can see your specific GPU launched November 23rd, 2023. In other words, it's still under warranty. Before going out and buying a new GPU, I'd suggest going through the RMA process.

Have you ran any benchmarking tools on your GPU?

Your problem reminds me of another issue I've seen a lot more of these last few years. When your PC reboots. Does it actually reboot on it's own or do you have to do it? If you have to do it, are you sure it turned off completely or is it only your screen that turned black?
I'm still getting the REDLauncher error I mentioned earlier but not the AMDRyzenMaster error. I ran it through cinebench, no shutdown issues there, score of 14765 which does seem a little low for the card but in line with the prior score I ran for it a few months ago of 14783. The PC is not rebooting on its own when I have this issue it is fully shutting off like it's losing power but the motherboard remains lit as it does during a normal shutdown. It's not just the screen because it goes through normal boot up procedures after I press the power to turn it on again. Again I do greatly appreciate your help with this, it's been a greatly frustrating experience but it makes me hopeful that people would help troubleshoot a rando for 3 days haha. My GPU actually did launch earlier than that though because I bought it in spring of '23, I think the google blurb is just wrong.

Damn, first time Google failed me on a product's release date. So I take it it's out of warranty then?

The REDlauncher error I'm not worried about to be honest. It's highly unlikely to be the cause of everything. If it was, we'd be seeing a lot more people with computers shutting off around here. Typically, games aren't able to do that and so far, CP2077 isn't known for that kind of issue.

In my last post, I spoke of an issue of an issue I've been seeing a lot more these days. That issue is of GPUs getting loose over time. I suspect, just like GPU sag, that it's due to how big and weighty modern GPUs have gotten.

In your OP you mentioned having looked at your GPU and connections, what do you mean by that? Just checked them or unplugged them and unseated your GPU? If it's the former, try unplugging and unseating your GPU. Then put it all back and be sure you feel/hear them click. I've seen people, both online and in my friends circle, claim everything is fine but then reseating the GPU fixed their issues.

You mentioned not being super tech savvy so I'm not sure how comfortable you are with doing that. If you're not, don't do it and have someone who is do it or watch how-tos on GPU unseating until you are, it's pretty straightforward. I'm fairly certain you are comfortable doing that but I'd rather put the warning out there than have someone get pissed because they weren't comfortable and screwed things up lol.

Damn, first time Google failed me on a product's release date. So I take it it's out of warranty then?

The REDlauncher error I'm not worried about to be honest. It's highly unlikely to be the cause of everything. If it was, we'd be seeing a lot more people with computers shutting off around here. Typically, games aren't able to do that and so far, CP2077 isn't known for that kind of issue.

In my last post, I spoke of an issue of an issue I've been seeing a lot more these days. That issue is of GPUs getting loose over time. I suspect, just like GPU sag, that it's due to how big and weighty modern GPUs have gotten.

In your OP you mentioned having looked at your GPU and connections, what do you mean by that? Just checked them or unplugged them and unseated your GPU? If it's the former, try unplugging and unseating your GPU. Then put it all back and be sure you feel/hear them click. I've seen people, both online and in my friends circle, claim everything is fine but then reseating the GPU fixed their issues.

You mentioned not being super tech savvy so I'm not sure how comfortable you are with doing that. If you're not, don't do it and have someone who is do it or watch how-tos on GPU unseating until you are, it's pretty straightforward. I'm fairly certain you are comfortable doing that but I'd rather put the warning out there than have someone get pissed because they weren't comfortable and screwed things up lol.
I'm more comfortable on the building side just less so on the software side (adult Legos right?) I just recently cleaned my PC because I was already opening it up to check the PSU and GPU connections. I did fully remove and re-install the GPU and double checked all power cables to ensure they were properly attached. I've also had the sag bracket installed since early fall of last year maybe? This is a new issue I haven't encountered before and it seems to only be in cyberpunk. I do wonder if it's the HDD Optimization setting I recently turned off in cyberpunk since crashes seem to happen around auto save points and the game will stutter for a moment during those.

I'm more comfortable on the building side just less so on the software side (adult Legos right?) I just recently cleaned my PC because I was already opening it up to check the PSU and GPU connections. I did fully remove and re-install the GPU and double checked all power cables to ensure they were properly attached. I've also had the sag bracket installed since early fall of last year maybe? This is a new issue I haven't encountered before and it seems to only be in cyberpunk. I do wonder if it's the HDD Optimization setting I recently turned off in cyberpunk since crashes seem to happen around auto save points and the game will stutter for a moment during those.

I'd be surprised if that is that the issue. The HDD option is meant for people with slow HDDs and is merely meant to reduce the strain on HDDs that can't stream assets fast enough and causes various in-game issues.

With that said, I've seen stranger things. Try it? If it works then that would suggest your SSD is the issue. SSD failure, like all hardware failure these days, is extremely low but at least it's a much cheaper option to replace. It's not impossible and it would certainly explain everything, after all, everything is on your SSD and if it fails, everything fails. It also would explain why you're not experiencing this issue in other games, TLOU for example is hard on GPUs but it's not nearly as hard on everything else. No harm done in turning on the HDD option on again and seeing what happens but it's not something that would cause complete shut downs without a deeper issue.

Honestly, you're reaching the point where I can't think of much more you can try besides changing hardware. Before doing that though, I would suggest nuking your PC first. Just wipe it clean and reinstall everything. This way, you're certain that it's not software related. It's troublesome but it's better than replacing hardware and still experiencing issues afterwards. Of course, if it's possible, I'd suggest trying to swap hardware without buying it (friends, family or a store you're 100% certain you can return anything you buy) and just try things.

I'd be surprised if that is that the issue. The HDD option is meant for people with slow HDDs and is merely meant to reduce the strain on HDDs that can't stream assets fast enough and causes various in-game issues.

With that said, I've seen stranger things. Try it? If it works then that would suggest your SSD is the issue. SSD failure, like all hardware failure these days, is extremely low but at least it's a much cheaper option to replace. It's not impossible and it would certainly explain everything, after all, everything is on your SSD and if it fails, everything fails. It also would explain why you're not experiencing this issue in other games, TLOU for example is hard on GPUs but it's not nearly as hard on everything else. No harm done in turning on the HDD option on again and seeing what happens but it's not something that would cause complete shut downs without a deeper issue.

Honestly, you're reaching the point where I can't think of much more you can try besides changing hardware. Before doing that though, I would suggest nuking your PC first. Just wipe it clean and reinstall everything. This way, you're certain that it's not software related. It's troublesome but it's better than replacing hardware and still experiencing issues afterwards. Of course, if it's possible, I'd suggest trying to swap hardware without buying it (friends, family or a store you're 100% certain you can return anything you buy) and just try things.
Gave it a shot, both with the HDD setting on auto and on (treating my nvme as an hdd) still the same result. I played about 2.5 hours of TLOU to make sure I wasn't crazy, everything cranked to the max, similar power draw, similar gpu usage (80-90+%), same nvme drive, 120 FPS cap that stayed solid the entire time. No issues. I really think this has to be something on Cyberpunk's end, I am still getting that launcher issue as a red flag in the event viewer. Maybe I'll go down to microcenter and see if they can help me test it but until that point I probably just won't touch Cyberpunk and keep submitting bug reports. Not sure where else I could go from here.

Gave it a shot, both with the HDD setting on auto and on (treating my nvme as an hdd) still the same result. I played about 2.5 hours of TLOU to make sure I wasn't crazy, everything cranked to the max, similar power draw, similar gpu usage (80-90+%), same nvme drive, 120 FPS cap that stayed solid the entire time. No issues. I really think this has to be something on Cyberpunk's end, I am still getting that launcher issue as a red flag in the event viewer. Maybe I'll go down to microcenter and see if they can help me test it but until that point I probably just won't touch Cyberpunk and keep submitting bug reports. Not sure where else I could go from here.

Well, that's unfortunate.

Honestly, it's extremely improbable that the game is causing system shutdowns but let's entertain the idea and treat it as a software side side issue.

Or more precisely, something in your system isn't playing well with the game.

All your drivers are updated?

Is your game vanilla? Did you ever mod the game without ever doing a clean install following these steps - How do I perform a clean install of the game? — Cyberpunk 2077 | Technical Support — CD PROJEKT RED.

Give it a go regardless, just a clean install if you haven't done so already. A lot of problems have been solved this way. Of course, if your save file has ever had mods installed, you will need to start a new save file to really know if the issue is fixed.

Are your Windows redistributable all of to date? Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

Any anti-virus? Try turning it off temporarily and give the game a go.

Might be totally unrelated, but a couple days ago, someone on the french part of the forum encountered a weird issue while playing Cyberpunk and on Cyberpunk only. After 15-30 of playing, no matter what, he encountered a blue screen (BSOD) and have to reboot his computer due to a "critical" error.
After trying everything suggested by CDPR without success, we started to think it was somehow related to hardware issue which wouldn't handle to an "heavy load" for too long. But after visiting a "specialist", it appeared his computer seem to be fine.
He finally fixed his problem by reinstalling Windows properly. No idea why the issue only occured while playing Cyberpunk...

Take it with a grain of salt (I'm far from having the knowledge of @GrimReaper801 about PCs), I simply want to share it, in case. If nothing work, it could be worth to give a shot :)

Well, that's unfortunate.

Honestly, it's extremely improbable that the game is causing system shutdowns but let's entertain the idea and treat it as a software side side issue.

Or more precisely, something in your system isn't playing well with the game.

All your drivers are updated?

Is your game vanilla? Did you ever mod the game without ever doing a clean install following these steps - How do I perform a clean install of the game? — Cyberpunk 2077 | Technical Support — CD PROJEKT RED.

Give it a go regardless, just a clean install if you haven't done so already. A lot of problems have been solved this way. Of course, if your save file has ever had mods installed, you will need to start a new save file to really know if the issue is fixed.

Are your Windows redistributable all of to date? Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

Any anti-virus? Try turning it off temporarily and give the game a go.
Never done mods in Cyberpunk, drivers are fresh per DDU attempt earlier, I'll try a fresh install of the game and see if that helps.

Might be totally unrelated, but a couple days ago, someone on the french part of the forum encountered a weird issue while playing Cyberpunk and on Cyberpunk only. After 15-30 of playing, no matter what, he encountered a blue screen (BSOD) and have to reboot his computer due to a "critical" error.
After trying everything suggested by CDPR without success, we started to think it was somehow related to hardware issue which wouldn't handle to an "heavy load" for too long. But after visiting a "specialist", it appeared his computer seem to be fine.
He finally fixed his problem by reinstalling Windows properly. No idea why the issue only occured while playing Cyberpunk...

Take it with a grain of salt (I'm far from having the knowledge of @GrimReaper801 about PCs), I simply want to share it, in case. If nothing work, it could be worth to give a shot :)
Maybe if nothing else works. I'll probably go to my local microcenter and see if they offer advisory services before doing a complete wipe of windows though, thanks!

Never done mods in Cyberpunk, drivers are fresh per DDU attempt earlier, I'll try a fresh install of the game and see if that helps.

I was speaking of all your drivers. Motherboard, CPU and any other driver you might have that's specific to your system.

Maybe if nothing else works. I'll probably go to my local microcenter and see if they offer advisory services before doing a complete wipe of windows though, thanks!

You can reinstall Windows without losing any of your data and it's a very valid avenue to try. Reinstall Windows - Microsoft Support

I know I suggested nuking everything before but simply reinstalling Windows without wiping everything, as @LeKill3rFou suggested, could also fix the issue. It's also a pretty straightforward install, check the link I provided if you're not entirely comfortable with it.

Of course, if you'd rather wait to visit microcenter that's entirely an option. It's much easier to troubleshoot and fix any issue with access to the PC than over the internet.

Top Bottom