Hardware/Software Technical Discussion Thread

+
Given Nvidia's reluctance to engage with open source projects i can see it being DX12 over vulkan. this is definitely conjecture though.

Is that an official reply?

I am only interested in knowing if the game will be playable on w7 or will it require w10. I have 3 PC's at the house one will soon have w10 to be a VR PC but the others will be staying on w7. Only thing good about w10 is dx12 the rest of it is garbage IMO so not keen on upgrading the OS on the other PC's just to run one game on them.

If the game uses Vulkan that would be fine as it run on w7 too.

Just not keen on supporting M$ and the manure they are pulling on w10 and not really interested in debates about it, just interested in information on if cyberpunk 2077 will work on w7 or not.

If not I would say they will lose lots of sales period regardless of anyone's personal feeling on w10, 7 or vulkan.
windows 10 is fine. just make a partition if you're that averse to it.

there's really no good reason to stay on windows 7.

windows 10 is fine. just make a partition if you're that averse to it.

there's really no good reason to stay on windows 7.
It's fine for you...have a cookie.

It's not fine for me and there's plenty of reason why it's not.

Kindly follow this advice, if someone says they don't want OS XYZ for w/e reason don't suggest they use it anyways, it's kind of counter productive.

Let's adress the post content and not the person posting it. Thank you
~Sild

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine for you...have a cookie.

It's not fine for me and there's plenty of reason why it's not.

Kindly follow this advice, if someone says they don't want OS XYZ for w/e reason don't be daft and then suggest they use it anyways, it's kind of counter productive and just plain trolly.

Still got your feet in your mouth from the other thread I see......I guess it's always good to have a ...... fan.

Time is running out. WinXP does a few things better than its successors (still to this day) but you have to move on. Even though Win7 has been great over the past decade.
Soon there'll be no choice but Win10, or Linux as Gilrond suggests.

(its a small thing, but for me the regedit for keeping Win7's photo viewer in Win10 was very helpful. - https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/ho...ewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/ )

Last edited:
Anyone heard if CP2077 will have multi-gpu support? If it's DX12 or Vulkan I believe mgpu is built into the API, just needs the game developers to code for it. This will be a big one for me. Thanks much in advance.

Anyone heard if CP2077 will have multi-gpu support? If it's DX12 or Vulkan I believe mgpu is built into the API, just needs the game developers to code for it. This will be a big one for me. Thanks much in advance.

I don't think CDPR said anything about that. May be they will leverage it, if they'll release it for Stadia. I doubt though they'll focus on it for their desktop release.

Time is running out. WinXP does a few things better than its successors (still to this day) but you have to move on. Even though Win7 has been great over the past decade.
Soon there'll be no choice but Win10, or Linux as Gilrond suggests.
not only that, but a lot of the issues people had with W10 have either gotten addressed or have known workarounds/solutions so most people sticking to windows 7 are basing it off of problems that aren't a factor anymore.

I'm sorry, but windows 7 is ancient and it shows. its not built for modern use. using it for anything but legacy applications is silly at this point.

its exactly what you said about XP. but again, there's just a million things XP cant do now. its time to move.

Last edited:
I don't think CDPR said anything about that. May be they will leverage it, if they'll release it for Stadia. I doubt though they'll focus on it for their desktop release.

Ya I don't think I've seen anything definitive one way or the other yet. If it has multi GPU support I'll buy this thing for full price on launch day. If you by chance see any news on this, please reply to me. :) Thank you for the response!

If it has multi GPU support I'll buy this thing for full price on launch day. If you by chance see any news on this, please reply to me. :) Thank you for the response!

Since the 1990's, when this technique of "bridging" GPUs first appeared, I can't think of a single title that officially "supports" it. It's up to the the GPU manufacturers to make it work, and having it do so universally without issues is a tall order. Nvidia and AMD have quite a challenge getting a given driver version to work well with most games using only 1 GPU...let alone trying to optimize things for a range of GPUs that may be working in tandem.

Besides, it's really not worthwhile or even feasible for a studio or a manufacturer to specifically focus on such things, since it's a very small fraction of users that actually use SLI / Crossfire. So, it's like it's always been. It's more of a player-side "tweak" for a game than any form of standard feature.

Since the 1990's, when this technique of "bridging" GPUs first appeared, I can't think of a single title that officially "supports" it. It's up to the the GPU manufacturers to make it work, and having it do so universally without issues is a tall order. Nvidia and AMD have quite a challenge getting a given driver version to work well with most games using only 1 GPU...let alone trying to optimize things for a range of GPUs that may be working in tandem.

Besides, it's really not worthwhile or even feasible for a studio or a manufacturer to specifically focus on such things, since it's a very small fraction of users that actually use SLI / Crossfire. So, it's like it's always been. It's more of a player-side "tweak" for a game than any form of standard feature.

Things are different these days with Vulkan & DX12. Both have multi-gpu support built into the API, but require the developer to code for it (traditional SLI / Xfire profiles are not required) - in DX11 and earlier, a profile at the driver level was required, but moving forward in the newer APIs, it is on the developer to implement. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Ashes of the Singularity are a couple that have good multi gpu support built into them by the developers.

Also just as an fyi - for the earlier SLI / Xfire, games absolutely supported it. It was never a "player side tweak". I can list tons of games if you want me to that have official multi gpu support - the entire Far Cry series, all the Crysis games, Tomb Raider games, the majority of the Assassin's Creed games, all the Batman Arkham games with the exception of Arkham Knight, all three Witcher games (Witcher 3 runs absolutely fantastic on two gpus - I play it on 4k @ 60fps with every setting maxed out including image enhancement mods tacked onto it - just a gorgeous game), etc. etc.

Last edited:
SLI/Crossfire was always a barely working mess. Multi-GPU in Vulkan is a lot better approach, it's up to developer to design the application according to the number of GPUs available. It does add complexity though. GPU to GPU interactions are naturally slower than anything within one GPU (limited by PCIe bandwidth).

In practice, very few people except may be cryptocurrency miners have several high end GPUs. So most developers didn't put an effort in complicating games based on that. I suppose this will become more common now, if Stadia will offer multi-GPU setups. Not sure what's the current status of multi-GPU support is in radv and amdvlk though. Some time ago it wasn't ready still. Also, there was no info on which of them Stadia is using, they are quite secretive about it.

SLI/Crossfire was always a barely working mess.

What kind of issues were you running into and what cards were you running? Just legitimately curious.

I've run SLI 780 Tis, Maxwell Titan Xs, 1080 Tis (current setup) and I've run Crossfire 4870s, 4890s, and 5870s and had a fantastic experience with all of them. All the games that had multi-gpu support ran fantastic (which was about 95% of the games I have played including all three of CD Projekt Red's Witcher games) and that is true for me up through present day. Only (3) games I have that need multi GPU support that don't have it from the developer, and those are Arkham Knight, AC Origins, and AC Odyssey. Every other demanding game I have runs great on SLI. No stability issues, no stuttering, nice smooth, gameplay in 4k @ 60fps.

SLI/Crossfire was always a barely working mess. Multi-GPU in Vulkan is a lot better approach, it's up to developer to design the application according to the number of GPUs available. It does add complexity though. GPU to GPU interactions are naturally slower than anything within one GPU (limited by PCIe bandwidth).

In practice, very few people except may be cryptocurrency miners have several high end GPUs. So most developers didn't put an effort in complicating games based on that. I suppose this will become more common now, if Stadia will offer multi-GPU setups. Not sure what's the current status of multi-GPU support is in radv and amdvlk though. Some time ago it wasn't ready still. Also, there was no info on which of them Stadia is using, they are quite secretive about it.

I believe you completely. I also think it's only a matter of time until we start seeing multiple GPUs on one card. (Inherently SLI / Crossfire Express.) But for now, it's expense-to-return ratio.

SLI / Crossfire is fickle. There's no way to to really argue that. Even the same GPU setup with the same driver version that works absolutely flawlessly for a given title...will have massive issues on the next system because the mo-bo is different. Sorting out these sorts of issues is really labor-intensive. That means lots and lots of man-hours. In a situation like this, any studio will have to ask:

"Is it responsible to spend that much of our personnel's time to sort out this one, specific issue? And not deal with the other (invariable) issues that our title is facing?"

I'd say we have plenty of evidence that the answer for that will almost always be "No." (Almost! :D) SLI /Crossfire will probably remain a "power-user" thing until they manage to find a way to standardize it. That will almost certainly mean multi-GPUs on one card. And at at that point...people will probably figure out a way to bridge the multi-GPU cards in a form of SLI / Crossfire again.

There's always a "frontier" that will not be "supported".

I also think it's only a matter of time until we start seeing multiple GPUs on one card. (Inherently SLI / Crossfire Express.) But for now, it's expense to return ratio.

those cards came and died on their arses. it doesn't solve a lot of the inherent issues of using 2 GPUs

What kind of issues were you running into and what cards were you running? Just legitimately curious.

Very flaky support in OpenGL drivers on Linux (Mesa didn't support it at all as far as I know). It was a poor design to begin with. Vulkan approach is a lot better, but I think Mesa lists it as not started still as well (VK_KHR_device_group):

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/blob/master/docs/features.txt#L423

UPDATE: Hmm. That's strange - features.txt shows it as missing, but actual vulkaninfo for radv shows it's supported:

Code:
 vulkaninfo | grep VK_KHR_device_group
        VK_KHR_device_group_creation        : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_device_group                 : extension revision  1

Top Bottom