How is i9 10900k performance?

+
Currently have an i9 9900k OC @ 5ghz all cores. Ive noticed however in some parts of the city that are quite complex and many many NPCs walking around, the CPU even though not quite CPU bound (according to MSI Afterburner) is hovering around just under 90% usage.

In these taxing areas I can notice the FPS is not as smooth as the game can be when say driving on the outskirts of the city in areas where its less crowded. At these times its silky smooth.

There are no spikes in the frametime graph that I always have running. I believe in the complex scenes the game is actually CPU bound.

So I was wondering those of you that do have a 10900k could enlighten me on the performance more specifically the smoothness of the FPS when walking around the NPC heavy areas such as the bazaars and markets.

Ive tried to look at some benchmarks IN YT and paying special attention to the CPU usage of the 10900k and it seems on average the CPU usage when clocked @5.2ghz seems to run quite a bit better in the heavy areas averaging around 65% total CPU usage.

Seriously thinking of upgrading if performance can be confirmed. This game is phenomenal on PC and overtime with even more patches will only become better.

At 5ghz all cores there isn't much more an upgrade can give you. Your CPU is fine, this game is not well optimized for all PC components yet and who knows when it will be. Don't waste money on a CPU upgrade, your 9900K is fine for any game that was made well.

At 5ghz all cores there isn't much more an upgrade can give you. Your CPU is fine, this game is not well optimized for all PC components yet and who knows when it will be. Don't waste money on a CPU upgrade, your 9900K is fine for any game that was made well.

Whats your specs?

I'm on a 3900x with a 2060. Not the best but I have been waiting on a new GPU for a bit. I get like 40 to 60 fps on 1440p with performance DLSS on. It bogs down here and there but the experience is really good other wise. My buddy who has the same set up but with a 2080Ti gets like 70 to 80 fps so I'm sure some optimizing will help down the road a bit.

The best upgrade would be one of the new GPUs if you can get one, from what I see and read the GPU does so much of the work and DLSS seems to be the main tech. making things look and run well.

What is your GPU and resolution? Although according to Gamers Nexus video, 10th gen and Zen3 seems to have noticeable improvement over 9th gen CPU, that was using an RTX3090 at 1080p medium, and framerate were as high as 170fps on 5950x(Slighty faster than 10900k, which is around 165fps), which is about 20-30fps faster than 9900k. You probably won't get any CPU bottleneck unless your GPU can push over 140fps. So, probably no need to upgrade.

Specs

MAINBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite
CPU: i9 9900KF
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: 32GB G-Skill RipJaw @ 3200 mhz dual channel
VIDEO CARD: Gigabyte Eagle OC RTX 3090
MOUSE: Logitech Gaming 300s
KB: Corsair K70 MK.2
MONITOR: 27GL850, AOC G2460PG G-Sync
HDD: Samsung Evo 850 Pro 512GB
HDD: Samsung NVMe M.2 Evo Plus 970 1TB

Im just obsessed about the game atm, and Im a nutter for silky performance. Im always tinkering with this game to get it run as smooth as possible

Specs

MAINBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite
CPU: i9 9900KF
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: 32GB G-Skill RipJaw @ 3200 mhz dual channel
VIDEO CARD: Gigabyte Eagle OC RTX 3090
MOUSE: Logitech Gaming 300s
KB: Corsair K70 MK.2
MONITOR: 27GL850, AOC G2460PG G-Sync
HDD: Samsung Evo 850 Pro 512GB
HDD: Samsung NVMe M.2 Evo Plus 970 1TB

Im just obsessed about the game atm, and Im a nutter for silky performance. Im always tinkering with this game to get it run as smooth as possible
Nice spec, 3090 with 1440P monitor. You might get a little bit of performance boost with a CPU upgrade if your graphics setting is low. But I don't think it's worth the cost, since you will need a new motherboard with either zen3 or 10th gen. You might able to improve your framerate consistency with a ram OC, maybe 3600mhz, but ram OC takes more effort than CPU OC.

I have mildly overclocked my RAM 200mhz, totalling 3400mhz. I wouldnt have thought it would have made a difference. But damn if it feels a bit more smooth, especially in the areas where there is a high NPC count and complex geometry.

Ziffa

Forum regular
The game is heavy on the cpu side, i've seen screenshot of people with 16 core cpu getting 80-90% usage on all core.

I think you're still good with a 9900k - I'm running a 10850k and have noticed no difference in smoothness from, say, playing in the badlands and deep in the city. Game on max and RTX on psycho (running a 3060Ti). Sorry I do not have a FPS screenshot but will get one on my next session.

There should be marginal difference between 9900k, 10850k and 10900k if looking at it as the only factor. Jumping tiers in video cards would bring the most performance difference while within these tiers of CPUs. At that, I don't feel this game can really push a 3080 or 3090 to their card-limits unless running really high resolutions, like 4k; game is still gorgeous at 2k and even just HD.

Top Bottom