Path Tracing: Flashing when sun hits grated walls/windows

+
When the new path tracing is enabled, find a wall such as a staircase area that is behind a grated wall. If you go out on the street and look up at the wall, you will see all kinds of flashing/disco effects in the wall. I assume the problem is some kind of complexity issue with the detail of the surface and the allowed light bounces. Anyhow, it looks really bad. I thought I'd mention it in case folks were looking for specifically-broken areas to fix with this new tech.

Yeah it's kinda funny, i doubt it's ezily solvable, i think the resolution of the path tracer is too low to resolve such fine detail properly.

iCake

Forum veteran
That sounds just like there's too few rays to resolve the details well enough for the denoiser pass to output anything coherent. For the record, the denoiser pass is one of the biggest reason Ray Tracing is even possible in real time as to stay real time you have to be working with very low ray counts.

If you try any of the mods that increase the number of bounces and rays cast, you can solve pretty much all the noise stuff that is very prelevant throughout the current implementation of the path tracer in the game, it's not just the wall, you can find lots of noise in lots of places.

In any case, I did try a config that increased the number of rays cast and bounces to 6 (vanilla is just 2) and boy oh boy, The image looked clean with almost all noise completely gone and those extra bounces made the ligthing even more natural, especially at night! But then it destroyed my performance, so not vialbe at this time, the hardware is simnply not there yet but it will be soon enough.

Meanwhile, i am sure Nvidia will be improving their real time denoiser and it time even including the neural part they've been boasting about in the ReSTIR algorythm (used heavily to make real time PT possible). So, who know, maybe we won't need to wait for the new hardware to solve the noise issues.

Top Bottom