Please advise, do I need to upgrade CPU? Is 98% GPU usage and 75% CPU usage good?

+
GPU is 3080 XC3 with OC undervolt settings. CPU is 3600X, RAM 3600 CL18 Corsairs 2x16GB, running on a B450 mobo.

I am trying to run this game at 4k and in heavily crowded areas it goes to 46 fps. But I noticed that both CPU and GPU usage are really high and I am not sure if that means well? GPU usage max I saw with these settings is 97 and goes down to 89 and the CPU usage hovers around 80% as per the screenshot.

Please advise, do I need to upgrade my CPU if I want to run with these settings? I do not know if CPU usage maxing at 82% is good when gaming with GPU usage 98%.

I checked youtube benchmarks and I found that in 4k, even the 4090, the games are GPU bound and there is not much difference to upgrade. I plan to buy a used 4090 when the next gen comes out so I want to make sure if I really need to upgrade to a 5800X3D now and max my AM4 build and later upgrade to a 4090. I also saw that most single player games, there is very little improvement in 4k from 3600X to 5800X3D.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
GPU is 3080 XC3 with OC undervolt settings. CPU is 3600X, RAM 3600 CL18 Corsairs 2x16GB, running on a B450 mobo.

I am trying to run this game at 4k and in heavily crowded areas it goes to 46 fps. But I noticed that both CPU and GPU usage are really high and I am not sure if that means well? GPU usage max I saw with these settings is 97 and goes down to 89 and the CPU usage hovers around 80% as per the screenshot.

Please advise, do I need to upgrade my CPU if I want to run with these settings? I do not know if CPU usage maxing at 82% is good when gaming with GPU usage 98%.

I checked youtube benchmarks and I found that in 4k, even the 4090, the games are GPU bound and there is not much difference to upgrade. I plan to buy a used 4090 when the next gen comes out so I want to make sure if I really need to upgrade to a 5800X3D now and max my AM4 build and later upgrade to a 4090. I also saw that most single player games, there is very little improvement in 4k from 3600X to 5800X3D.

Thanks for your time.
4k max settings with high crowds 46 fps is probably pretty common. I hade around the same on my 3090 with a 3900x but my cpu usage never exeded 50% (doesnt matter how meny threads you have if the game cant use them) 4k your pretty much allways GPU bound and the high usage is probably due too more NPC AI around you. A hight clockspeed might get you a few fps more but i would not upgrade just for gaming. 98% Gpu usage is a indication your not CPU bound atleast.

Cpu bound testing i did for another thread.

Even the 3090ti cant reach stable 60 fps at 4K resolution.
Ray tracing does tax the CPU as well, but I think the 3600 should be enough to get 60 fps with dlss.

I have a 3070 and it can't even do 1440p ray tracing 60fps with dlss. I have to turn off raytracing at which point I get over 60 fps even without dlss.

80% CPU seems to be a lot. Does this ever go below 50%? Can you check if you have lower CPU usage if you lower crowd density in the gameplay options?

Since you are using AMD CPU, this might apply to you:

Fix and further information provided here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kbrsta/_/gfk8af5
The issue is supposed to be fixed, but I have seen people still reporting it.

[...]
I plan to buy a used 4090 when the next gen comes out [...]

Thanks for your time.

I was curious about that build and did a quick research.
Your B450 has PCIE gen3 and the 4090 is PCIE gen4. They might be compatible, but this is a potential bottleneck. Gen4 has twice the bandwidth as gen3

if you don't have the last chpset drivers , let your power plan management on default balanced / equilibred.
since few update both windows 10 and windows 11 , changing power plan can mess up with global performance :)

its all ready few weeks i roll back all my power plan management CPU/GPU on default and i get less issues on mostly on current game .

its true by tweaking your pc , you may get some improvement bost performance but ony on case now for a dedicated purpose , take your PC as a workstation for music editing , video editing but for gaming , or other multi task , with all background service , keep your system ny default
- more stability
- more global performance overhall

Top Bottom