So, what does Night City sound like?

+
I think you'll find a lot of folks in this forum, haha, are a little crass towards things just to save face.
Not sure if you meant my post or the post I was reacting to was a touch crass to save face, but you probably aren't wrong either way :shrug:

I'm just always surprised when I look up cyberpunk playlists or movie, its either 80's light counter culture or late 90's/early 00's numetal and entry level industrial. Cyberpunk is a world of significantly greater commodification of art, culture, identity, just everything along with denser populations, how can you ever represent that with a narrow band of music?

That said, we all have a vision of cyberpunk in our heads that we passionately love, and can be a little incredulous and bullish when someone else's vision gets used instead of ours; I know I do.

Not sure if you meant my post or the post I was reacting to was a touch crass to save face, but you probably aren't wrong either way :shrug:

I'm just always surprised when I look up cyberpunk playlists or movie, its either 80's light counter culture or late 90's/early 00's numetal and entry level industrial. Cyberpunk is a world of significantly greater commodification of art, culture, identity, just everything along with denser populations, how can you ever represent that with a narrow band of music?

That said, we all have a vision of cyberpunk in our heads that we passionately love, and can be a little incredulous and bullish when someone else's vision gets used instead of ours; I know I do.

You cant. That's why Ive suggested Cyberpunk movie to them. CDPR gotta do some cuts/sacrifices when making this game, but with movie they could give much broader Cyberpunk experience etc. Cyberpunk is way too big for a game, movie might be able to do it, but man you gotta throw tons of money at it. This game already offers great challenges for a game, like Media Role, Rockerboy Role (music), Fashion etc.

Last edited:
If more music gets added through expansions or anything, I wouldn't argue with a bit more future funk like Tune-Yards and Little Dragon.

As a fan of various music, I was thinking about the cyberpunk soundtrack when the first trailer with music from Archive came out. In the first impulse, my musical associations went to the obvious, just like all industrial (metal, rock, rap) and New Retro, which (then) became more and more popular. In addition, the first sounds that came to my mind were those by Vangelis from Blade Runner.

However, after some time I began to think about music that would not be so much cyberpunk in terms of strictly audiovisual associations, but music that reflects the topics contained in the lore of cyberpink, would be cyberpunk not by name, but by design. It seems to me that in our reality this type of music is a whole range of electro punk, EBM (Electronic body music) or synth-punk. Bands such as Front 242 or DAF on the one hand, New Order, Killing Joke or Cabaret Voltaire, Suicide on the other - this is the pure equivalent of cyberpunk climates and its characteristics. This music has mainly punk roots, hence - engaged and political (but not always), underground, anti-establishment, non-commercial, anti-capitalist vibe, combined with more and more common new technologies (synthesizers, effects, samplers) allowing for partial "dehumanization" of music becoming more transhumanistic - sounds familiar ? In my opinion, these types of bands are the quintessence of cyberpunk sound - simple and minimalistic, strong in message, with a large dose of aggression and rebellion, emphasizing the prevailing nihilism.

Apart from the entire text layer, the very sound of such bands had a huge impact on later electronic music in general. I recommend the Dutch label Pinkman, which could sometimes be called "Cyberpunk OST", releasing music that is the aftermath of the entire EBM scene. For this we have such artists as Gesaffelstein (dude would make perfect music for this game), Schwefelgelb, Max Cooper and many others.

The music that has been announced to us now is ok, especially that you have to fill these radio stations with something. In addition, it would be nice if you could hear the themes and conflict contained in the cyberpunk in the music itself - in which there are both mainstream performers, pop artists with mega entertainment corporations as well as anti-establishment, alternative, underground performers - just punks. That would give depth to the whole world.

More than about music on the radio, I'm worried about the game itself (soundtrack) ... at times it is similar to what I wrote earlier, i.e. minimalist EBM (simple beat when V and Jackie enter the scavengers' apartment), but sometimes it is too dense and full of effects, losing the strength and dynamics of a well-set synthesizer. In particular, I am not delighted with the short fragments presented on Twitter - I have the impression that the creator of the soundtrack follows a similar trail as when creating orchestral music - the greater the finale and tension, the more instruments and threads - which does not work with electronic music. A well-set synthesizer loop can have a much greater impact than twenty humming tracks mixed with viola at once...

On the one hand, I trust CDPR, but on the other, as a long-time fan of electronic music, very rarely come across good music of this type in the game's soundtrack, it is usually a miserable copy, and in addition something that works mainly in the mainstream electronic wave. Cyberpunk is a game for adults, mature and unobvious, I think that in terms of sound it should also make a deep cut in the issue.

And a goodbye song ;)

Quick disclaimer: *I never saw this post before and if there is new information then I probably haven't seen it*

I like a lot of different music genres which all have completely different moods and from different decades and different languages. I also haven't heard of anyone that was mentioned for music but I was excited to hear them. I'll say that with Refused I like them somewhat. I sort of like Grimes but also not? Like some parts of her songs are great but then it's usually the beginning or end that kills it for me.
I have to say that I don't really "vibe" with the music used too much, also not sure what I should have expected because I do not know much of ANYTHING about cyberpunk in whole. I know the word cyber, I know the word punk lol. That being said, man, really hoped for more rock and various types but like I said before, didn't know what to expect anyway so I'm not disappointed since I didn't have any expectations.

The soundtrack is cringey when you listen in background. But when you watch a cyberpunk 2077 related video or gameplay soundtrack is awesome!

Wish they had Mick Gordon, just imagine.
Oh well I'm still excited for Asap Rocky and Run the Jewels.

Top Bottom