"You'll be able to play the character you want and to customize the character..."

+
I only hope that they focus more on selecting existing assets rather than "sliders". While having sliders is wonderful and all:

1.) It takes a bleep ton of time to get something I like.

2.) Once you actually start the game, my character never looks like it did in the creator.

Love playing with such creators, but I think a system that offers a wealth of preset eyes...preset noses...preset lips...etc. is better, simply because it lets me get my overall design out faster. I personally feel that the Dragon's Dogma system is awesome...but the actual execution (having to shift between individual menus under individual tabs...many of which have their own sub-menus with sub-tabs...was terrible.) It needs to be something that lets me click on a feature (hair, eyebrows, jawline, etc.) and a menu seamlessly pops up to select various styles, showing the changes on my model when I mouse over them.

I'd also love the ability to walk around in a bunch of different environments and lighting situations within the creator to get an idea of what may character will actually look like in action. Something like a blank Animus in Assassin's Creed, where I can run about freely. I can hit a button to cycle between a day scene, night scene, rainstorm, fog, blazing desert, dance club, etc. Just to be sure I like my creation.

metalmaniac21;n10468012 said:

No, seriously? What's wrong with having both sliders, presets and a face sculpting window?

I don't think he was suggesting otherwise. I've discussed it with him before and I believe we both seemed to agree that having some presets to "start" you off, then using sliders to further customize as you wish, is the ideal situation (unless I'm thinking of the wrong person.. it was a couple months ago)

But take Skyrim, for example - adding extra presets there would have taken very, very little effort on the devs part. But there were only 4, max 5, per race and gender. It's obviously tougher with a game that has races (essentially multiply the effort by x10), but assuming CP2077 only has humans (joke), we should get access to a lot more presets to tweak as we wish.

But yes, definitely, having both is essential to a good character creation system in my opinion. The more options the better.

MAGA.net;n10472092 said:
With CDPR prefers premade characters, I don’t think they will take the “Skyrim” approach to Cyberpunk.
MAGA.net;n10472092 said:
I think CDPR will take the “Fallout 4” approach,

I consider Fallout 4 to have a custom character, in the sense that you can customize his/her appearence.

Snowflakez;n10468102 said:
But take Skyrim, for example - adding extra presets there would have taken very, very little effort on the devs part. But there were only 4, max 5, per race and gender.

I was suggesting no or perhaps very limited sliders. Again, I refer to Dragon's Dogma as a nice analog. It's possible to get really unique looking characters using that system, and all of them come out "as I intended", which is the whole point, in my mind. Is it necessary to have sliders that are accurate to the hundredth's place? No, I really don't think so. Is it nice to have the option? Sure! But I feel that it opens the door for bugs and "creative fatigue". By this, I mean the effect of staring at the same character...working with hundredths of decimals difference between the shape / size of the nose and ears for hours...and eventually losing a sense of what I'm looking at and what the whole image actually looks like. When I launch into the game a day later, I'm often like -- "What the heck was I thinking!? That looks terrible!" Not to mention the inability to reliably go back if I do something unintentional; after a certain number of steps, I'll just need to start over.

So rather than 15 sliders that all detail various vertices on a "nose"...just create a stock catalog of 20+ different noses, then add a slider for overall size. Create 20+ different eye designs and a couple of sliders for overall size and slant. For hair, create 20+ totally different styles for 2 or 3 "layers" of hair each. So I can choose to have slicked-back hair if I only select the layer close to the scalp...but then I can add a layer on top that comprised of light, messy locks, giving it a shaggy, wispy look. Alternatively, if I turn off the under layer, it will look like I'm balding all over with only shaggy wisps of hair remaining.

This way, it's easier to arrive at thousands of unique, final results without getting mired in whether my forehead should poke out just a little further at the eyebrows...

Well, one nice thing about the CP2077 setting is cosmetic surgery is very commonplace you it should be relatively easy to tweak/fix your character in-game rather then needing to restart the entire game of you run into the ever infamous "But it didn't look like that in the character creation screen!" issue.

Raxaphan;n10467182 said:
Imagine when you create your character you can create your lifepath also. And when you start the game there is a narrator that tells your story until the present time when you start your playthrough.
Imagine how unnatural the narrative would be if every lifepath event need to be described. I'd prefer the past to bite player character's ass in future than a narration. Pls no both.

Top Bottom