Are we over-hyping the game?

+
The only concern I have is how it will run ps4 pro .
Yeah, as a ps4 owner, I'm a little scared since TW3 already had problems with optimization. CP2077 will be a real open world and will have vehicles (= streaming of assets needs to be very fast), plus:

One of the reasons a release next April feels surprisingly soon is it rules out a simultaneous launch on next-gen consoles - will that come later?

Sasko: Right now we're focusing on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One but obviously in the future we'd probably like to have Cyberpunk 2077 on the next platforms. But that's really a matter for the future, to be honest. Right now we're focusing on these.

One of the things we learned with The Witcher 3 was, you should not delay working on the console versions, ever. So at all times we have a version running for everything. And of course, the high-end version we're showing running it is completely different to the consoles, the current-gen is starting to get old. So there's some things which won't look as crisp. But the important thing to us is it will be fluid, it will play on your machine. There are limitations for any given hardware, that's a natural thing. But we'll do everything we can to squeeze as much as we can.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...w-multiplayer-next-gen-and-working-with-keanu
We can't expect anything close to RDR2's graphics, I guess. Rockstar, the only software house better at optimization than first party studios. Disclosing consoles' real potential. :love:

Btw, I'm really liking this place so far. I really hope I can have a civil discussion with the mods without being afraid of the ban hammer. I disagreed with a mod on the RDR2 forums last year -- Instabanned.

I disagree with the mods all the time. Even severely. As long as it's about game design and not forum rules, you're good.

---------------

Anyway, I kinda shun the idea, that they are now talking about gameplay freedom "but it's only for the story, because CDPR". If the open world gameplay is neglected just because there is a story to tell, then the open world is a wrong platform. That you have a huge open world with verticality NPC schedules and all, but then "no, storytyme, go there or be square" just sounds ridiculous to me. All that work done for the world to feel big and "alive"... just for sightseeing purposes? Nope. Not a good premise.

And GTA is the worst possible example of open world, as there's nothing in it. It's just a big cardboard city, nothing more.

Guest 4149880

Yeah, as long as you're civil, you'll be fine. Some mods have stronger pro-CDPR sentiments than others; just as the users do, but that doesn't mean you're gonna get kicked for merely disagreeing.

As for the main topic, yeah. Definitely overhyped. And not just by the community. CDPR themselves say they are trying to build hype for the game, so if we want to pretend the multi-million dollar company (billion? not sure) is just a poor, innocent victim of their own success, well... Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree there.

I'm not bitter about it, though. I think the game will still be great fun. Very disappointed that you won't be able to get more than one dwelling, though, and I refuse to believe it wouldn't be possible because "that's not the type of game CDPR makes" (what???). Multiple houses does not a GTA game make. My guess is they decided it's not worth the resource expenditure, or it would be challenging from a technical perspective.

The whole "rags to riches" thing is a pretty neat concept to me. Now, it sounds like that won't really happen outside of fancy cars... assuming you can even buy cars in the final game. Perhaps the ability to own multiple cars in your garage will be canned as well, and we'll go back to the Roachster.

Yeah I'm becoming somewhat concerned as they reveal some features they aren't including as time goes on.

That said, this is all based on what has been the norm in games and RPGs for a long time. I'm giving this game the benefit of the doubt that maybe these features everyone (myself included) thinks they want really aren't necessary in this game, and that CDPR are striving for something different. On the optimistic side, maybe they will bring new ideas to the table.

Everyone seems to define immersion as "Living" in the world. For me, its just about the moment to moment freedom of gameplay and allowing the player to not only think of ways to solve problems but actually being able see it in action in the game itself, as with most immersive sim games. That's what I'm hoping for the most. Not necessarily aiming for level 99 of home décor, or park bench sitter level 15, going to have to work on my sitting skills. Come'on

Only time will tell so I'm not going to get over hyped nor worried until there's an actual reason to.

Yeah I'm becoming somewhat concerned as they reveal some features they aren't including as time goes on.

That said, this is all based on what has been the norm in games and RPGs for a long time. I'm giving this game the benefit of the doubt that maybe these features everyone (myself included) thinks they want really aren't necessary in this game, and that CDPR are striving for something different. On the optimistic side, maybe they will bring new ideas to the table.

Everyone seems to define immersion as "Living" in the world. For me, its just about the moment to moment freedom of gameplay and allowing the player to not only think of ways to solve problems but actually being able see it in action in the game itself, as with most immersive sim games. That's what I'm hoping for the most. Not necessarily aiming for level 99 of home décor, or park bench sitter level 15, going to have to work on my sitting skills. Come'on

Only time will tell so I'm not going to get over hyped nor worried until there's an actual reason to.
Yeah. I'm not worried about the game as a whole. I'm disappointed/frustrated about multiple individual elements. The total package still has my interest firmly in its grasp.

For me, as disappointing as some of these elements are, it's positive that they are setting expectations now. If they simply waited till release to drop the bombshells on players, that would be quite unfortunate.

They should continue to clarify what elements that were confirmed before have been cut from the game now. Discussing the housing thing is a great first step in that direction. People will be sad, disappointed, but they'll get over it and have a better idea of what the game is.

Guest 4149880

Yeah. I'm not worried about the game as a whole. I'm disappointed/frustrated about multiple individual elements. The total package still has my interest firmly in its grasp.

For me, as disappointing as some of these elements are, it's positive that they are setting expectations now. If they simply waited till release to drop the bombshells on players, that would be quite unfortunate.

They should continue to clarify what elements that were confirmed before have been cut from the game now. Discussing the housing thing is a great first step in that direction. People will be sad, disappointed, but they'll get over it and have a better idea of what the game is.

Considering this is CDPRs 4th big title, and going this deep into the very complicated world of the cyberpunk genre like no one else has tried on this scale, and for the first time. I'm not holding much against these guys for the small stuff, until everything is actually revealed once and for all, its too soon to judge the full package. There is always room for expansions and sequels.

Not saying it's perfect, because there were also things I was hoping for that aren't even an option in the game from what they've revealed. Just have to wait and see.

After the announcement from the games art director that there would only be one apartment, hearing that it's impossible to have a true "human playthrough", getting little to no details about companions or if we'll be able to interact with our favorite characters after the game... I'm starting to question how much of a game there's gonna be outside of the main quest line.

I suppose all the hype came from the possibilities. I was hoping for an RPG where I could do whatever I wanted to in Night City (within reason). It's starting to seem like, either we're rushing them to finish the game or they've decided story takes place over freedom of gameplay.

I don't doubt it'll be one of the best game stories I've ever played through. But, I'm also thinking it's gonna lack in depth once the story's over.

I can't imagine being in this world, having millions, and not being able to buy or customize apartments. I won't say it's killed my hype, but it's making me think more realistically about what to expect. I'd rather set my expectations low and be amazed by what we get than have high expectations and be disappointed.
I totally agree. It seems like the scope of experiences has been pretty limited. To mission related stuff for the majority of our interaction with the "open world". Not a lot of discovery it seems.

Edit: But I do really fear, like you, that the open-world is going to be all look, no real substance. I'm prepared to be disappointed on that front
Which would suck big time.
Anyway, I kinda shun the idea, that they are now talking about gameplay freedom "but it's only for the story, because CDPR". If the open world gameplay is neglected just because there is a story to tell, then the open world is a wrong platform. That you have a huge open world with verticality NPC schedules and all, but then "no, storytyme, go there or be square" just sounds ridiculous to me. All that work done for the world to feel big and "alive"... just for sightseeing purposes? Nope. Not a good premise.

And GTA is the worst possible example of open world, as there's nothing in it. It's just a big cardboard city, nothing more.
Period

What's the point other than set dressing?

Last edited:
I disagree with the mods all the time. Even severely. As long as it's about game design and not forum rules, you're good.

---------------

What if they aim at TW3 standards of open world as minimum? That's at least how it sounds so far. MIni games, NPCs having their schedules and following day/night cycles, with voiced dialogue lines(both random responses and opportunistic side-quests), communities around a certain area, certain buildings being enterable etc?

I think every studio should do this otherwise their leading people on.

I agree we don't want CyberSims.
What I'm saying is that we have this HUGE open world with character schedules, extreme customization and tons of indoor vertical exploration.

I keep bringing Skyrim up because I think it's a great example of what a good video game RPG can do. There isn't much customization in terms of houses and properties, what there IS is the ability to sit down in a place of luxury that you EARNED and look at the trophies on display that you EARNED and think... Yeah. I beat this game.

Imagine getting a penthouse with a glass wall overlooking night city and having trophies from your game on display. You'd FEEL the accomplishment of going from street rat to mercenary of fortune richer than many corpos.

Then imagine being able to invite your favorite characters in the game up there for a drink, or whatever. Just being able to use the vast beautiful open world map for more than leveling up and beating bosses.

Stats are cool. Guns are cool. Combat is cool. But some people are interested in more than just killing things and exploring. Some people wanna feel like they had an impact on the world.

I agree we don't want CyberSims.
What I'm saying is that we have this HUGE open world with character schedules, extreme customization and tons of indoor vertical exploration.

I keep bringing Skyrim up because I think it's a great example of what a good video game RPG can do. There isn't much customization in terms of houses and properties, what there IS is the ability to sit down in a place of luxury that you EARNED and look at the trophies on display that you EARNED and think... Yeah. I beat this game.

Imagine getting a penthouse with a glass wall overlooking night city and having trophies from your game on display. You'd FEEL the accomplishment of going from street rat to mercenary of fortune richer than many corpos.

Then imagine being able to invite your favorite characters in the game up there for a drink, or whatever. Just being able to use the vast beautiful open world map for more than leveling up and beating bosses.

Stats are cool. Guns are cool. Combat is cool. But some people are interested in more than just killing things and exploring. Some people wanna feel like they had an impact on the world.
Like, what's really the point after beating the main missions or completing side quests? if you can't feel or see it?

Even more so if there aren't any activities that lead to supplementary achievements. Especially if its a RPG and has a pretty vast space to dwell in. I mean, i rather be a resident than a tourist in the game world.

Like what's the point of making all these choices and connections, if they end after the main mission is over? and you can't at least do something with your companions other than have sex with them. Or engage in combat or net running. Plus can you even interact with gangs beyond killing them or doing side quests/main missions for them....since you can't associate with them.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

Like, what's really the point after beating the main missions or completing side quests? if you can't feel or see it?

Even more so if there aren't any activities that lead to supplementary achievements. Especially if its a RPG and has a pretty vast space to dwell in. I mean, i rather be a resident than a tourist in the game world.

Like what's the point of making all these choices and connections, if they end after the main mission is over? and you can't at least do something with your companions other than have sex with them. Or engage in combat or net running.

It's not the end result man, it's the journey. I'm sure given that its an RPG, you wont be empty handed after it's all said and done.

What if they aim at TW3 standards of open world as minimum? That's at least how it sounds so far. MIni games, NPCs having their schedules and following day/night cycles, with voiced dialogue lines(both random responses and opportunistic side-quests), communities around a certain area, certain buildings being enterable etc?

I thought Witcher 3 would've worked better without the big world where you didn't really have much to do outside quests. Things there you could only look at felt out of proportion in relation to what all you could do there. So much empty traveling, so little interactivity or interest. It was nice to see people taking shelter from rain (that was in Witcher 1 already) and all that, but what of it? What could you make out of it? Nothing. Same goes for scheduled NPC's now. Who's going to notice or pay attention when there's nothing to do with that?

If CP2077 is a game of the same line of design, if it is so heavily focused on storytelling, I think it'd work better if it was composed similiarly to Deus Ex. With smaller and more intricate hubs instead of a freely traveled open world that has very little to offer. But also with freedom to access those hubs at will.

The advertised "living open world" shouldn't be just a visual distraction, that's a waste of time for everyone even if it looked nice on the outset.

It's not the end result man, it's the journey. I'm sure given that its an RPG, you wont be empty handed after it's all said and done.
Yeah but what did i earn or lose? that's usually the gift of any journey. The results are what i take with me. Specially if its a RPG and it has "Freedom of choice".

To me once its all done. It shouldn't just mean higher level stats or upgrades/gear or a having a fancier car. At the end.

It should be about tangible things done in your game world or play through. That may not be huge on the whole to bother Night City. But enough to be a visible change to you as a player and that should include being able to interact with said changes and for them not to just disappear. Or for things to stay nearly exactly the same regardless of what you do. By the end of the game.

Which would be a nightmare scenario for me.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

Yeah but what did i earn or lose? that's usually the gift of any journey. The results are what i take with me. Specially if its a RPG and has "Freedom of choice".

To me it shouldn't just mean higher level stats or upgrades/gear or a having a fancier car. At the end.

It should be about tangible things done in your game world or play through. That may not be huge on the whole to bother Night City. But enough to be a visible change to you as a player and that should include being able to interact with and not disappear. Or for things to stay nearly exactly the same regardless of what you do. By the end of the game.

That would be worse nightmare scenario for me.

How much does any game world change after you beat it? The most notable changes would be your character and I suppose the world changes depending on players choices and how much it affected the it permanently in the end.

How much does any game world change after you beat it? The most notable changes would be your character and I suppose the world changes depending on players choices and how much it affected the it permanently in the end.
That's the static element of most of these supposed "open word" or "sandbox" games. That i feel like needs to change, this false sense of freedom. Intended and unintended

But Elder Scrolls despite some of their pitfalls had found a happy medium.

Guest 4149880

That's the static element of most of these supposed "open word" or "sandbox" games. That i feel like needs to change, this false sense of freedom.

But Elder Scrolls despite its pitfalls had found a happy medium.

Don't get me started on Elder Scrolls...:sleep:

People need to see some game developing documentaries. A LOT of things are cut before release, specially in big RPGs. Sometimes even large mechanics vanish.

It wasn't a bad platform for Witcher 3 and it won't be for Cyberpunk. What you're doing is trying to put "=" between open world and sand box.

What CDPR are doing - expanding Witcher model with more gameplay opportunities based on your character build. But it's still very much dictated by cinematic storytelling, like the previous games.

Where I can certainly agree is GTA being an "example". GTA is just a drive and shoot game. It's open world means nothing, because it doesn't reward even basic exploration. Unlike WItcher 3, for example. Giant race track.

Last edited:
Top Bottom