Gaming on Linux [news and developments]

+
Interview with with Feral Interactive About XCOM and Linux Game Development.

About decision to make a Linux version:

Q: So, essentially without SteamOS & Steam Machines Feral wouldn't be porting games to Linux?

A: The scope and quality of Linux gaming have been steadily improving for a few years. However, Valve’s decision to use Linux for SteamOS was in our view a big validation, and certainly made the decision to develop for Linux easier.

Read the whole interview. Really good approach to Linux development.

Last edited:
That's interesting. More developers keep adding Linux, it's the way to go. And although it is ironic that Valve/Steam is taking the lead in Linux support, I am at least glad someone is doing it.

Before SteamOS, many people would demand proof of high profile games appearing and being playable on Linux. Now that a company is offering some form of support and a Linux gaming distribution, people claim that we're only supporting a monopoly (as if Microsoft wasn't one...). Valve is providing the support game developers needed to make the leap. This is great for Linux gaming in general, not just SteamOS. How hard is it to understand that?

In any case, Steam or not, I am glad Linux is receiving more attention. Next thing is convincing these devs that DRM is not the way to go.

In any case, Steam or not, I am glad Linux is receiving more attention. Next thing is convincing these devs that DRM is not the way to go.

Hopefully GOG can help with it, once they enter the Linux scene. They still didn't really clarify their global plans about Galaxy and etc.

The Linux Game Industry - talk by Ryan Gordon. Note that's an overview of the industry situation and not a technical talk. So all the critics above - spend some time viewing it.

It also has a lot of interesting gaming history (exploring the origins of Loki games, Humble Bundle and others), so definitely worth watching.

An interesting point he brings, that it was Humble Bundle that triggered the rapid change that we see in the Linux gaming today.

Last edited:
GOG promised some update on the upcoming Linux support soon.

The 2014 DRM-Free Summer Sale is now over, but that doesn't mean we don't have more excitement in store for you. Quite soon, you can expect news about GOG Galaxy, our up-and-coming DRM-Free online gaming platform, The Witcher Adventure Game, CD Projekt RED's newest addition to the gaming Witcherverse, and an interesting update on our planned Linux support. Not to mention some fantastic new releases coming your way… Truly, this is an exciting time to be a Gogger. Thank you for choosing to be one!

So good to see these games to be published for Linux. Unfortunately usually the games are not par with Windows what comes to graphical fidelity. I will buy my games from Steam just to support their Linux and OpenGL development work. Valve is working to get tech forward which is extremely important.

Can't wait "Divinity: Original Sin" and "X:Rebirth" Linux versions.

usually the games are not par with Windows what comes to graphical fidelity

Can you give an example? Most multiplatform games nowadays are developed with cross platform technologies, so they end up looking exactly the same. One possible difference could be Metro Last Light OpenGL vs. DirectX 11.

Grim Fandango used an OpenGL renderer back then, and I suppose it still will. Even if Double Fine tweaks the graphics a little bit, it should look exactly the same in all systems.

Can you give an example? Most multiplatform games nowadays are developed with cross platform technologies, so they end up looking exactly the same. One possible difference could be Metro Last Light OpenGL vs. DirectX 11.

Yes, "Metro Last Light" and for example "Civilization V" and other ports that are using OpenGL 3.x while Windows version is using DX11. I'm not sure if any of Linux games uses OpenGL 4.x yet ... I hope at least a new versions of "Metro" would.

I trust Valve that they can help to push drivers at the level they should be and provide tools and experience to developers to make OpenGL more viable choice.

Last edited:
I've heard Civilization V is using some OpenGL 4 features if they are available.

And CDPR should really get to business and enable OpenGL 4.x support in REDengine.

Top Bottom