A survey on the English apology expressions

+
A survey on the English apology expressions

Hi!
I'm writing an MA thesis on English apology expressions... and I need your help.
If you are a native speaker of English, please answer the questions in my survey.
You can also take part in the survey, if you are not a native speaker of English, but you feel that you know the language very well :)

LINK: http://goo.gl/forms/PHy3qOyz1a

Thx!

*looks at survey*

You're supposed to apologise for this stuff?

Yeah, can't quite see myself in most of those situations, don't know what I'd say. "Oops," maybe? Probably make a joke or two, then see myself out. How does one accidentally erase a very important file on someone else's computer anyway?

Last edited:
What can I say... Oops etc. is also possible.

Can't say more - I don't want to spoil anything. Respond as in an actual conversation - let me worry about the results :)

EDIT: Let's forget about the previous version of this post :D

Last edited:
Filled in matey, i'm really not such a clumsy bastard as that survey suggests though. Didn't use any obscure sayings or owt I think, were gonna put "no use crying over spilt milk, times is hard and friends are few, least said soonest mended," etc, but I thought i'd refrain for clarities sake.

Assume high school is like senior school.

They all more seems focused on people psychology more than on the language or the composition of an apology. Like what kind of reaction would you have if this or that case happened.
I find confusing well dressed woman case. What am I supposed to say to her aside "Oops sorry ma'am"? I mean supposing that I am carrying a tray of coffee and spill it over her... well in that case I could be very sorry. Otherwise... I don't know... she could pay more attention on where she steps too.

Sorry I'm the worst person for that survey ever XDDD

I find confusing well dressed woman case. What am I supposed to say to her aside "Oops sorry ma'am"?

"Can I buy you a drink?"

EDIT: Let's forget about the previous version of this post

Too late, already submitted. Do have fun with that :)

Last edited:
HRHR you accidentally delete a file on a friends PC...

Wait you want to tell me my friend is the biggest moron ever? He disabled his trashcan, set the delete without confirmation AND didn't do proper back-ups on important work? You know what... serves him right he should learn from his mistakes.

Wait you want to tell me my friend is the biggest moron ever? He disabled his trashcan, set the delete without confirmation AND didn't do proper back-ups on important work? You know what... serves him right he should learn from his mistakes.

This kind of answer is... also possible :)

Click on the wrong button.
You must be at least 18 to participate in this survey.
Thanks I would have never guessed that, now let me click somewhere else.
(I guess I will be a very helpful participant. XD )

Or he left a root terminal open, you accidentally pressed some keys and somehow "rm -fr / [ENTER]" was typed.

I'll try the survey later.

I don't think any of this should be considered an offence. Maybe a bit annoying or unfortunate, but most things are fixable. I would say sorry to show that I am sincere and that I care about what happened. But anybody that would consider it an offence, would be an idiot to me. It is not like I did these things on purpose.

So I'm guessing "Hey Lady watch were you're going, I'm walking here!" isn't quite what you are after?

Top Bottom