Vulkan - new generation cross platform graphics and GPGPU computing API

+
On a semi-related note, in a move surprising no one(if anything it was expected) Mantle SDK has been cancelled, the spec/code won't be open-sourced like they planned earlier.

There is however a Vulkan SDK (virtually the first OpenGL SDK ever) - and if we put one and one together, that explains the lack of a Mantle SDK.

@M4xw0lf : They said it explicitly a few times already. :) AMD basically gave Mantle spec to Khronos to kickstart the design of Vulkan. So the rest is just the result of that.

Khronos Group president Neil Trevett (of Nvidia) on porting from DX12 to Vulkan:

Porting from DirectX 12 to Vulkan will be easier than porting from DirectX 12 to OpenGL

Sounds like good news for Wine, as long as new games would start using DX12 instead of DX11. Reducing complexity of the API will make it much easier for Wine to write DX12→ Vulkan translation than let's say DX11 → OpenGL 4.5 one.

---------- Updated at 03:52 AM ----------

Missed the source:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2891...tic-gaming-tech-taking-aim-at-directx-12.html

Last edited:
I just saw this interview with CDPR which includes various technical questions: http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=73

It was probably posted on the forum already, but I didn't see it, and found it just now. One of the questions there was about Mantle:

Is
The Witcher 3 going to support Mantle on the launch day or later?

That is highly unlikely. The developers of The Witcher 3 work closely with Nvidia, whereas Mantle is a competing technology developed by ATI.
It's strange that neither the interviewer nor CDPR representative knew that Mantle is now superseded by cross platform / cross vendor Vulkan (the interview was published after GDC 2015). Unless they asked those questions before that.

Last edited:
Read the initial part of the article again, it says the answers by CDPR are marked with the suffix of [RED]. That answer is not.

Last edited:
Read the initial part of the article again, it says the answers by CDPR are marked with the suffix of [RED]. That answer is not.

Good catch. But then I'm confused even more. Who is answering the questions which are not marked as [RED]? And if they aren't from CDPR how can they even answer what kind of APIs are going to be used or not?

As far as I can tell, it's not an interview, nobody is really 'answering' the questions, it's an FAQ they're creating.

As far as I can tell, it's not an interview, nobody is really 'answering' the questions, it's an FAQ they're creating.

It's pretty weird for a FAQ, since not only they answer something that only CDPR could really know, they even contradict official information (like for example about GOG key availability for those who bought other releases of the game).

It's pretty weird for a FAQ, since not only they answer something that only CDPR could really know, they even contradict official information (like for example about GOG key availability for those who bought other releases of the game).

Based on the answer they gave on the GOG key, I can only assume that if they don't know the answer, they either make a wild guess or use information from way back without making any attempt to check if it's still correct.

Top Bottom