Are mantis blades working as intended?

+
Are they really meant to be the slow dull edged derpy cousin of the katana in the current game that they are?

I'm using them cuz I like the way they look, and because I like having space for 3 guns, but I can pick a random katana up off the ground and it's just jarring how much it shreds and controls the fight compared to my big dumb clunky wrist blades now.

I'm aware there's a relic perk, but I'm not there yet. Unless it makes them fast again it doesn't solve my problem. They feel bad right now. They don't even hitstun enemies most of the time. I'm using them purely for style but it's still starting to bother me.

Edit: I have since gone to a ripper and removed the relevant cyberware, removed my blades perks, and then saved and reloaded the game. Upon reequipping everything my attack speed seems to scale now, so that problem is relatively fixed. They are not as fast as I remember but katanas are a bit slower than before by default as well as stamina having more effect on things.

The only thing left that I take issue with is the lack of any reaction enemies have to being hit by them. Is this a damage threshold that I'm not overcoming due to the lower base damage that the mantis blades have or is it an actual stagger mechanic that just either isn't working or wasn't intended for the mantis blades? Neither the strong attack nor the fast attacks seem to stop the enemy from doing whatever they are doing, making it difficult to keep up the offensive without taking shots to the face.

Katanas absolutely do force a reaction from enemies on well timed strong attacks as well as causing them to stumble around after a few fast attacks for me. Tested with the electric as well as the physical mantis blades vs the errata and a random katana I picked up during a fight with the r key.

Last edited:
Not sure, never liked Mantis Blades, but try the Katana you get from Wakako for completing her gigs. It's insanely fast, it's just a blur of attacks going off when the special effect kicks in, which is often.

Mantis blades are useful in situations like in Clouds where no weapons are allowed and also great for closing in distance.

Overall katanas are better, especially Byakko from Wakako as it lunges, greater attack speed too.

But Mantis blades get better with relic tree allowing to cover and zoom greater distances.

Mantis blades are useful in situations like in Clouds where no weapons are allowed and also great for closing in distance.

Overall katanas are better, especially Byakko from Wakako as it lunges, greater attack speed too.

But Mantis blades get better with relic tree allowing to cover and zoom greater distances.
Is that why they feel so nerfed during basic use? Because they are just meant to be a hidden blade or rely on the relic perks?

They are not nerfed, they were always slower than katanas, they were never meant to replace katanas.
You could say, now they are more improved by relic tree by giving them more dismember chance and leap ability.

They were always a "cool" weapon to have because of it's animation.
i would say 2.0 has improved basic usage as weapons scale now and base damage is good.

They are not nerfed, they were always slower than katanas.
Slower than katanas perhaps maybe but not slow. These are slow. This is not my first rodeo with the game, I have a lot of hours in it and have done a couple of playthroughs with the bug arms.

Edit: I've solved the attack speed scaling I think. Hopefully the fix persists between saves now.

Last edited:
Slower than katanas perhaps maybe but not slow. These are slow. This is not my first rodeo with the game, I have a lot of hours in it and have done a couple of playthroughs with the bug arms.

Edit: I've solved the attack speed scaling I think. Hopefully the fix persists between saves now.

Hey, you said you had solved this but never stated a solution. How did you end up fixing it?

Mantis Blades originally were more unique because only they could perform a "leap attack" or finisher move. Since that stuff is now available with any blade, there doesn't seem to be much point.

I think that's why they decided to add that Relic perk tree. Arm cyberware is kind of lacking otherwise. I still most often just go with Gorilla Arms for the Body skill check bonus and it makes Beat on the Brat so much easier, especially if I am not investing heavily in Body or blunt weapon perks.

Mantis Blades originally were more unique because only they could perform a "leap attack" or finisher move. Since that stuff is now available with any blade, there doesn't seem to be much point.

I think that's why they decided to add that Relic perk tree. Arm cyberware is kind of lacking otherwise. I still most often just go with Gorilla Arms for the Body skill check bonus and it makes Beat on the Brat so much easier, especially if I am not investing heavily in Body or blunt weapon perks.
yeah i also dont think they are meant to be more powerful than other melee weapons.... most prob more for fun & style than beeing the most effective ones. i like both mantis & monowire - for me they are fun to use, while i dont care that katanas f.e. are way stronger. i dont like the gorilla arms that much tho.... my only use for them are beat the brat as well or certain skill checks to get some iconics on low bodybuilds.

Top Bottom