Aurora and character movement, i.e., 'Downhill Skier'

+
Aurora and character movement, i.e., 'Downhill Skier'

So, I bought The Witcher today, and i have to say that I'm pleased so far. IMO, the art direction/graphics are of exactly the style that a fantasy-RPG should have. And I'm very, very impressed by what CDProjekt has done with Aurora, compared to what Obsidian did with it.Anyway, there's one thing, unfortunately, that is a clear carryover from the original Aurora:Sometime during the NWN expansions, there was a change to the engine that made the PC, when running, appear hunched-over. Some people called this the 'downhill skier' change/glitch/bug/whatever. Why it happened was never clear, but it persisted into NWN2.This phenomenon happens in Witcher, no doubt because of the engine, and it's really detracting from my enjoyment of the game. Is anyone else bothered by it?There was a player-made hack that fixed it for NWN/expansions. Just wondering if anyone else is as bothered by it as I am, enough to hold out hope for a fix/tweak that will make the PC stand up straight when moving?Thanks,Rhalle

Haven't seen it.. haven't seen it in NWN (+HotU) either, which I played online for ages, so I don't really know what you're talking about :-\

NW2 was not made with the Aurora engine. How can it have persisted ? These are two separate Engines. Are you sure your not smoking weed , errr Banana Peels ? :-\ :-\

ARGG ,You bloody evil person.It has S*** all to do with the engine.THANKYOU FOR *@#%*(R&* BRINGING MY POINT OF ATTENTION TO THIS......now i am suffering difficulty *@#%$*@R%$ IGNORING IT !maybe if you spend more time enjoying the game world instead of staring at the characters BACK!, you would not create a psuedo motion sickness for yourself.............. AND THANK YOU SO BLOODY MUCH for dumping your OCD tendencies upon the rest of us !I AM EXTREMELY @**# OFF ! .[MOD] Was it really necessary to write your post like that?

Whoa there, chill out, Blue.Anyway couls someone please post a screenie LINK (so that only the people who want to see it will see it) cause, truth be told, I'm not sure I've seen this happen... Well, he does bend a lot when he's wielding his sword but I think he's supposed to be doing that...
BlueOnyx said:
Are you sure your not smoking weed , errr Banana Peels ? :-\ :-\
Mmmm.... banana peels... *drools*

He is referring to the way the character leans forward when running. Purely some weird or bored persons point of interest.Leaning forward, the character also gives the impression of walking downwards, and if you start to notice itit becomes very hard to ignore it !!...........I am angry because i don't know if i will be able to ignore this once noticing it !. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aggravaar said:
Whoa there, chill out, Blue.Anyway couls someone please post a screenie LINK (so that only the people who want to see it will see it) cause, truth be told, I'm not sure I've seen this happen... Well, he does bend a lot when he's wielding his sword but I think he's supposed to be doing that...
Aggravaar said:
Are you sure your not smoking weed , errr Banana Peels ? :-\ :-\
Mmmm.... banana peels... *drools*
Thanks aggravaar....... obviously a name which does not really describe you ;Dand sorry moderator. :-\ :-\

Wow Blue, your tact really impresses me. I mean it. It's not often that I get the pleasure of seeing someone retract themselves so sincerely. You just may have earned my respect. ;)

Kaeldorn said:
Haven't seen it.. haven't seen it in NWN (+HotU) either, which I played online for ages, so I don't really know what you're talking about :-\
It changed in NWN sometime during the release of the (the first one, I think) expansions. The PC always moved straight up; after a patch, for some unknown reason it changed, and then they always ran slightly hunched-over.It bothered some people enough to release a hack to make the PC stand up straight.Geralt does it, and I have little doubt that it's not a sort of engine carryover. I've gotten used to it in Witcher, though, I guess.Just finished Chapter 1. Ending was awesome. The story is really good so far, BTW. :)

I tried googling this bug/glitch for 5 minutes, and I got nothing.Maybe you could shed more light on the matter? (screenshots, threads about NWN2 etc)

BlueOnyx said:
He is referring to the way the character leans forward when running. Purely some weird or bored persons point of interest.Leaning forward, the character also gives the impression of walking downwards, and if you start to notice itit becomes very hard to ignore it !!...........I am angry because i don't know if i will be able to ignore this once noticing it !. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
You see... some NPCs are simply looking the same as others. For example... Abigail looks like 2 female NPCs in Act III. Or Naiad looks like the dryad in swamps in Act II. Or Carmen looks like any other random whores. Now... I am pretty sure you noticed it, but didn't pay attention... But now... that I am telling it to you... YOU WILL NOTICE IT ALL THE TIME! :eek: You will think: "Oh gosh, this NPC LOOKS LIKE Abigail! It breaks my immersiveness! :'(" I am EVIL, muhahaha! :D ;D

Nah, close your eyes and listen to the voices... Only open them to answer. ;)Or just be like the above poster. ;D

NWN1, NWN2 and The Witcher all use the Aurora engine for most of their core animation call event mechanics. Graphics engines used in the three games are different.This issue has nothing to do with animation calls or the Graphics engine used in any of those three games. It is a choice made by the animator in terms of how the characer is animated from frame to frame. That's it; that's all. It's not a bug - it is a deliberate choice of the animator.You may not like it - but that is the answer to your question.

Top Bottom