Blood of Elves

+
Blood of Elves

I've just finished reading...and I'm going to have to read it again.. I am constantly left with this feeling of sadness, almost subliminal if you like, in the way Sapkowski writes...I felt it in 'The Last Wish' and now in Blood of Elves as well...I understand now why there is this brouhaha about Sword of Destiny..... imo Gollanz should have published this after The last Wish..I got frustrated at some of the referencing to that missing info...It's a great read...

Whisperwind said:
maybe you can read Sword of Destiny in some other language? :)
I live off the beaten track so to speak....down somewhere in the pimple of the world...I could go to a snooty upmarket bookstore where they would gladly import for me...at a hefty price....Amazon no longer do business with my country as there has been too much stealing in our POffices apparently :mad:I have seen that there has been some kindly souls doing a nice job with abridged translations from Sword of Destiny, so I have been trying to fill in the blanks that way...also the Wiki has afforded more insight...sigh :'( nothing like the 'real' words from Sapkowski tho..

Whisperwind said:
maybe you can read Sword of Destiny in some other language? :)
Your comment wasn't directed at me, but unfortunately my primary school education did not include any foreign languages. I'm of the understanding that this is typical for us. :(I personally would love to be able to read the original Polish texts but I don't see that happening. I'll just have to wait eagerly for each title to be translated to English.Speaking of that, are there big differences between the UK and American editions of The Last Wish? I'm thinking of getting both a UK and American copy of The Blood of Elves if there are.

Finished it as well recently, really liked it and the "missing" parts didn't really bother me (but I'd sure like to read them :)). It kind of works with Sapkowski's writing, that you're thrown into the world of his without so many explanations - quite different from many of today's >1000-pages fantasy writers...What really bothered me, though was the ending:
almost a cliff-hanger
. And it's not even clear if I'll be able to read the next novel. :(

Fiskrens, actually, there are "Time of Disdain" (already announced as "Times of Anger"), "Baptism of Fire", "The Tower of the Swallow", "The Lady of the Lake" ahead.
Course there'd be a cliff-hanger.
Just be patient ;)

Vindici said:
Fiskrens, actually, there are "Time of Disdain" (already announced as "Times of Anger"), "Baptism of Fire", "The Tower of the Swallow", "The Lady of the Lake" ahead.
Course there'd be a cliff-hanger.
Just be patient ;)
Great news! :beer: :beer: :beer:

I had The Last Wish and Blood of Elves for Christmas, just finished reading the latter and have to say I am extremely disappointed :mad:Extremely disappointed that is that I have finished reading these 2 great books and can't get my hands on the next one (as I'm English)!!Times of Anger is on Amazon to preorder for Oct 2009 (I take it that is the next one if the saga?)Oh well, will just have to read them all again when this comes out :D

Luckily for us Russians, Spakovskiy has long become a cult figure in fantasy literature, so reading the books in Russian is almost like reading them in Polish, the atmosphere is almost fully captured by the translation. When I moved onto Blood of Elves and Times of Disdain, I felt rather sad that
the plot had gotten so difficult, with Ciri and Geralt and Jennifer (or Iennifer, no idea how it was translated into English), and I longed for the feel of the first books, reading about the carefree adventures of Geralt and Lutick (again, no idea how it was translated). But in a way, I'm sure that Spakovskiy wanted to create this feeling.

His name is Sapkowski :).Also, the sorceress is Yennefer (both in Polish and English). The bard is Jaskier in Polish and Dandelion in English.

Thanks for the heads up on that, Ausir. :beer:So Sword of Destiny hasn't been translated, but Blood of Elves has? That's weird, 'cause my editions are two books in one, sorted by order (i.e. The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves and Times of Disdain, etc.) Why translate the thrid book before the first?

Because the first two are sets of short stories. The third book - Blood of Elves is a first book of Saga, which includes five books at all.The last wish and Sword of destiny is something before the Saga, we can say an introduction. It is good to read them before, because of some chats between main characters pertaining to adventures they had before :)

I know this thread has been pretty much dead since january but i didn't feel like starting a new thread to ask my question. Are the other versions of Blood of Elves only 7 chapters and 398 pages long or is it just the american version because the book seemed to be a bit short to me.

It is just the first of five novels. :) Times of Disdain and Baptism by Fire have more or less the same size as Blood of Elves; Swallow's Tower is significantly larger and Lady of the Lake is like two Blood of Elves.

Top Bottom