Budget gaming pc

+
Budget gaming pc

So with the Witcher 3 coming out this year I'm looking, like many other to upgrade my system. My aim was to run TW3 on at least high settings with around 1000€. Now I know its still probabely more than half a year until the game comes out, but my overclocked gtx260 is just not able to run the newer games properly, or at all (Crysis3, AC4, ..). So my question is, how did I do? :)
Mobo: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD
PSU: Corsair RM750
RAM: Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
HD: Seagate Desktop SSHD, 1 TB
Case: CM Storm Scout II Advanced

Looks like you did fine. The only thing that worries me is that we're just guessing at the hardware requirements for TW3, the CPU and GPU business is not standing still, and you can end up overspending drastically for something that's showing its age by the time the game comes out.

For those with a tighter budget constraint than yours, consider a GTX 760 instead of the 770.

Also consider a better power supply. I do not like the direction Corsair has been taking recently, and the RM750, which is made by Chicony, is a leading example of cases where they have capitalized on their good name to sell cheap junk.

rohirrim7 said:
So with the Witcher 3 coming out this year I'm looking, like many other to upgrade my system. My aim was to run TW3 on at least high settings with around 1000€. Now I know its still probabely more than half a year until the game comes out, but my overclocked gtx260 is just not able to run the newer games properly, or at all (Crysis3, AC4, ..). So my question is, how did I do? :)/>
Wait until after Witcher 3 launches, then build your system or at least wait until the next graphic architectures from Nvidia and AMD come out. I would assume that next gen AMD 8 core CPUs would do better as far as optimization goes since both consoles run on 8 core AMDs, but as for graphics card go for Nvidia to get the Physx feature. Maxwell line up(new architecture) for Nvidia is going to hit the stores in 6 months at most, so wait for Maxwell cause it is the true next gen line up. Good luck.

Shawnkh said:
Wait until after Witcher 3 launches, then build your system or at least wait until the next graphic architectures from Nvidia and AMD come out. I would assume that next gen AMD 8 core CPUs would do better as far as optimization goes since both consoles run on 8 core AMDs, but as for graphics card go for Nvidia to get the Physx feature.

Unfortunately there won't be any new AMD 8 core CPUs, so its either FX9590 now or 4 core weak APU or rather something better from Intel

The AMD FX9590 is a good cpu but its getting to hot and has a very high voltage.
If you compare it with the i7 4770k is the intel much better. Ok the AMD has a much higher clock speed 4.8 (5.0 with boost) but still if you OC the i7 just a little it owns!

madmaik96 said:
The AMD FX9590 is a good cpu but its getting to hot and has a very high voltage.
If you compare it with the i7 4770k is the intel much better. Ok the AMD has a much higher clock speed 4.8 (5.0 with boost) but still if you OC the i7 just a little it owns!
FX 9590 sucks, man. It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced, it gets too hot, and it's performance is not that impressive. I thought AMD was going to come up with something else by the time Witcher 3 launches, but it seems like they're not.

I would recommend the AMD Radeon r9 290, if you can flash it to a 290x it will be a beast for the money. The equivalent to a GTX 780

madmaik96 said:

In real applications, it usually trails Haswell, Ivy Bridge, and even Sandy Bridge Core i7's and i5's. 5 GHz sounds impressive, but so did the 3.8 GHz Pentium 4 until you got around to running applications. It's how much you do with each clock that counts.

Overpriced and not in normal retail distribution, too. Just as well. Sorry to sound like an elitist, well, no, I'm not sorry: non-engineers shouldn't be fucking around with 200W CPUs.

Alright, ty for the advice everyone. I'll just wait until the 800 series from nvidia comes out and the recommended specs from TW3.

GuyN said:
Also consider a better power supply. I do not like the direction Corsair has been taking recently, and the RM750, which is made by Chicony, is a leading example of cases where they have capitalized on their good name to sell cheap junk.

Really? I'm actually in the middle of part picking for a new rig also and corsair have always been my go to guys for PSU's.

That's lame. Don't suppose anyone has any good recommendations for a PSU that has the low power state that Haswell enjoys?

vincentdante said:
Really? I'm actually in the middle of part picking for a new rig also and corsair have always been my go to guys for PSU's.

That's lame. Don't suppose anyone has any good recommendations for a PSU that has the low power state that Haswell enjoys?

For low-cost power supplies, my first choice is Seasonic and any models that are relabeled Seasonic. Many Antecs and Corsairs are Seasonic. Second choice, Delta or Channel Well. Antec is the big reseller for Delta. Corsair is the big reseller for Channel Well.

The low end of Antec's line (Basiq) was always crap. But the low end of Corsair's line is much worse than it used to be. The rap on the RM850 is that its cooling system is badly designed and causes it to overheat unless it is loaded enough to turn the fan on.

You can look at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html to see who actually makes what for whom.

Models that support the Haswell low power state will always say so in their supporting documentation.

If you told me to go out and get a power supply right now, I would get one of these:

600-650W:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III
Antec HCG 620M
Seasonic M12II 650

700-750W:
Seasonic S12G 750 (not modular)
Seasonic M12II 750 (modular)

800-850W:
Corsair TX850M
Seasonic M12II 850

GuyN said:
For low-cost power supplies, my first choice is Seasonic and any models that are relabeled Seasonic. Many Antecs and Corsairs are Seasonic. Second choice, Delta or Channel Well. Antec is the big reseller for Delta. Corsair is the big reseller for Channel Well.

The low end of Antec's line (Basiq) was always crap. But the low end of Corsair's line is much worse than it used to be.

You can look at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html to see who actually makes what for whom.

Models that support the Haswell low power state will always say so in their supporting documentation.

Thanks. I'm looking in the range of about 600W-700W preferably, I have heard good things said about Seasonic and XFX so I'll dig deeper there.

I guess I'll show off my parts picked http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2iVel

disclaimer: Although I admit I am building this for the Witcher 3 and future games, I am having some problems with my current rig that is making me want to build sooner (my fault for buying a cheap ass case last time, also it has turned 5 years old recently and I would enjoy some new tech). The GTX 770 is a placeholder in the range I'm looking for. I'm really waiting for Maxwell before I evaluate the GPU's while building the rest of the system over time (money is tight but I don't want to skimp on certain parts again so this was the best way I decided).

vincentdante said:
Thanks. I'm looking in the range of about 600W-700W preferably, I have heard good things said about Seasonic and XFX so I'll dig deeper there.

I guess I'll show off my parts picked http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2iVel

disclaimer: Although I admit I am building this for the Witcher 3 and future games, I am having some problems with my current rig that is making me want to build sooner (my fault for buying a cheap ass case last time, also it has turned 5 years old recently and I would enjoy some new tech). The GTX 770 is a placeholder in the range I'm looking for. I'm really waiting for Maxwell before I evaluate the GPU's while building the rest of the system over time (money is tight but I don't want to skimp on certain parts again so this was the best way I decided).

On that site, the XFX models (P1-(650X,750X,850X)-XXB9) look like the best bets. These are Seasonic-made and the same as (except for the higher price tag for the Seasonic paint) the Seasonic SS-(650,750,850)-AM models.

I have older Seasonic S12II 620W and M12II 520W units. These are still available but are not Haswell-capable.

GuyN said:
On that site, the XFX models (P1-(650X,750X,850X)-XXB9) look like the best bets. These are Seasonic-made and the same as (except for the higher price tag for the Seasonic paint) the Seasonic SS-(650,750,850)-AM models.

I have older Seasonic S12II 620W and M12II 520W units. These are still available but are not Haswell-capable.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the reviews and connectors of those ones as well. I probably gave myself away above but this is actually my 2nd rig and I still have the newbie jitters :p/>/>. Just being cautious and trying to avoid potential problems which is why I was wondering about what you said with corsair.

Adding the XFX 650W it comes to just above £1000 which should be fine with my buying plan. Pick the parts now and buy them as I can afford them :p/> http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2iXyd

Those power supplies (they're all the same basic Seasonic M12II design) are semi-modular (the P1 and P4 cables are not modular, but every installation requires these anyway). In cases with a bottom-mounted power supply (like the Cooler Master HAF XM you chose), the P4 cable can be a bit short, and you won't have enough slack to run it behind the motherboard panel. That's the worst I can say about them.

GuyN said:
Those power supplies (they're all the same basic Seasonic M12II design) are semi-modular (the P1 and P4 cables are not modular, but every installation requires these anyway). In cases with a bottom-mounted power supply (like the Cooler Master HAF XM you chose), the P4 cable can be a bit short, and you won't have enough slack to run it behind the motherboard panel. That's the worst I can say about them.

I guess one cable running in the front wouldn't be terrible if I routed it well and if I am forced to do so. I was just looking at some similar builds and the issue hasn't been brought up yet with the HAF-XM specifically. Actually the XFX p1-650W is recommended a lot with most of these builds so you hit the nail on the head I think. I'll keep looking of course. I'm going to start buying in January after christmas spending dies down and new year sales are going so I have plenty of time.

I want to thank you for all your help though, it was good to catch the PSU issue early and it has relieved me somewhat just to talk about it for a bit with someone. Just out of curiosity do you think it's a good gaming build? I have cut some corners but I don't want to go too far.

vincentdante said:
I guess one cable running in the front wouldn't be terrible if I routed it well and if I am forced to do so. I was just looking at some similar builds and the issue hasn't been brought up yet with the HAF-XM specifically. Actually the XFX p1-650W is recommended a lot with most of these builds so you hit the nail on the head I think. I'll keep looking of course. I'm going to start buying in January after christmas spending dies down and new year sales are going so I have plenty of time.

I want to thank you for all your help though, it was good to catch the PSU issue early and it has relieved me somewhat just to talk about it for a bit with someone. Just out of curiosity do you think it's a good gaming build? I have cut some corners but I don't want to go too far.

I think it's very good. If money is a concern, I've noticed that the GTX 670 is sometimes available at a deep discount. There is little difference between the 670 and 760. The 770 tends to cost more, though it is a substantial improvement.

rohirrim7 said:
So with the Witcher 3 coming out this year I'm looking, like many other to upgrade my system. My aim was to run TW3 on at least high settings with around 1000€. Now I know its still probabely more than half a year until the game comes out, but my overclocked gtx260 is just not able to run the newer games properly, or at all (Crysis3, AC4, ..). So my question is, how did I do? :)/>

you did a good job, this one can carry for at least five years if you are alright with console level graphics.

Top Bottom