Cheers to good old Salgari...

+
Cheers to good old Salgari...

Folks, you dont need to know, but today is the 100th anniversary of Emilio Salgari's death, great adventure writer of the late 19th Century. He was the creator of ruthless Sandokan, a Malasian pirate/prince who battled against British Imperialism and the lesser known "Black Corsair" another pirate who sought to avenge his familiy in late 17th Century Caribbean...I was raised with Sandokan cool novels as a kid, and remember them quite fondly. :) Salgari was a "larger than life" character, very well known in Italy for more than seventy novels, but squeezed to the death (almost literally) by his evil employers, that forced him to write novels for very little money... He never achieved greatness of fame like contemporary Jules Verne, but his attachment to fantasy and exotic adventure made him even forge whole passages of his "Autobiography" in which he claims he really met some of his fictional creatures, like Tremal-Naik (one of Sandokan's croonies in his novels). So, I raise a cool vodka glass to Mr. Salgari, wherever he mighjt be... :)

Salgari's work is little known in English, but he properly should be known in the US as the grandfather of the "spaghetti Western". His tales of heroic pirates were an inspiration to Sergio Leone, who revived the Western with his scruffy, complex, morally ambiguous, sometimes piratical heroes.So a toast, not in vodka, but in whiskey :)

lol, you know Salgari? How cool. Btw, Italian tv produced a couple of tv series based on his novels back in the seventies, starring the indian actor Kabir Bedi. Speaking of which, a friend of mine met the guy in Los Angeles some years ago, he couldn't remember the actors name but greeted him with "Hi, Sandokan right?" At which Bedi bursted into laugh. Theres another writer that I used to read obsessively as a kid, Karl May. He was the german Emilo Salgari, best known for the novels set in the Wild West and in the Middle East, and two protagonists, Winnetou and Kara Ben Nemsi. Germans organize Winnetou festivals to this day, with people cosplaying his characters. Several movies were wade on Winnetou in the seventies, mostly filmed in ex Yugoslavia.

Top Bottom