[Phantom Liberty Spoilers] Reed: 'Too damn late', what does it mean?

+
T-too... damn late...
Today, the game somehow left me with a gray Overture, so Reed got to say the words. Word, he doesn't say those words when gunned down too quickly.
Me being me, I can't help trying to put myself in his shoes and understand why he would say that. I haven't found much online, so this forum is the perfect place to start it up.

Well, one thing is sure, I would say -- those are words of regret. A terrible state of mind to die with. The question is what does Reed regret then.

In my gunslinger mindset, it's "pulled out the gun 'too damn late'". But that's not Reed's mentality. He's a long-haul player, known for occasional swift and effective moves.

One answer I found on reddit is that he died "too damn late", i.e. that he regretted he didn't die seven years ago. That makes more sense. But it still itches me a bit, since he isn't the type to give up without achieving the goal. In this corner, I'd sooner expect him to say "damn you". Maybe, just maybe facing death he accepted his defeat as the one last one-off? It is aligned with his mantra "you play grown up games, you face grown up consequences". But, still... for one, maybe it's just my impression that he doesn't sound convinced when he says that on both occasions (especially re Song, while on the rooftop with Myers) and there's the part about "deep denial" (see below), which covers that type of rationalization too.

Next. What if he realized that he indeed was in "deep denial" (mentioned after the other 'Somewhat Damaged' route) and he realized "too damn late" that he was pulling things down the wrong path all along. I want to believe this one. It fits with all the pieces the way I understand them. But still does not sound like Reed's patriotic convictions.

Not sure if he really believes that only the government can save Song. But let's say that he does (he says so too!). Maybe his regret is about being unable to save Song. It fits with his last concern before the showdown. Also, do I see it right that he is looking at Song while saying that? Bullseye! It would also fit with other pieces, though then that is really a focus on then and there rather than looking back at his life -- which is also conceivable. Maybe he didn't think it mattered how he lived and died, as long as his crew was safe. It still fits in with all the pieces, it's what he already went through once (died for his team). This interpretation might be it, actually. I give it the top score so far in my book.

Though, that's still a terrible thought to die with... that he ultimately failed Song (his team member) in the end.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom