Corrupted Save issue

+
I have an unusual glitch at the moment where if I go to Megabuilding H10: Atrium, where V's original apartment is located, my FPS will drop to around 6. Upon leaving this area, any quick save/manual save I do becomes "damaged" and is unable to load. This issue started before update 2.01, but was slightly different. As I explained my saves will become corrupted and FPS will drop to around 6 when going to the Megabuilding, whereas before my FPS would drop to around 30 and no save file corruption occurred. I believe the recent update caused this which is interesting as one of the reasons for that update was to prevent corrupted save files.

I am on PC and have the same problem I removed all mods and did a fresh install, but it did not work. It's funny if you walk to the window and look out the frames do stabilize for some time but the moment you turn well, it drops again I did not have this problem in patch 2.0 and I have the same problem where some of my saves a do go corrupt and I can't play the game because my progress cant get saved

hello similar problem with save files after latest update 2.01. Even tried deleting all saves and starting game from scratch but all saves get corrupted on win 11 pc but on a pc with win 10 there's no problems.

Last edited:
We may have separate issues. What caused my problem was the Chimera Core item you get at the beginning of PL - if you choose to pick it up. I'll be succinct but basically this item seems to break your save files by "bloating" them upwards to 20 MB! This item is what causes the FPS to drop in V's apartment and placing it on the table is what screws with your save files.

I'd stay on windows 10 though if I were you. And for now do NOT pick this item up at the appropriate point in the DLC!
Post automatically merged:

I am on PC and have the same problem I removed all mods and did a fresh install, but it did not work. It's funny if you walk to the window and look out the frames do stabilize for some time but the moment you turn well, it drops again I did not have this problem in patch 2.0 and I have the same problem where some of my saves a do go corrupt and I can't play the game because my progress cant get saved
Thanks for the reply. Yes, what causes this, from what I've gathered, is the Chimera Core item you can pick up at the beginning of Phantom Liberty after the Boss fight.

Did you place this item in V's apartment? The item being in your inventory seems to be what causes the FPS issue, and placing it on V's table is what corrupts your save files. What happens is that placing it down potentially "bloats" your save file. My screwed up saves are now around 20,579 MB... I can still play with them but anytime the saves go over 20,600 MB it corrupts and cannot be loaded. At least in my specific case.

I gave up on this character/playthrough (lost over 90 hours), so I've decided to start the Expansion Fresh on an old 100% completion save. This time I decided to NOT pick up the Chimera Core and can confirm that my saves are the size they should be - around 7,000 MB. Don't pick up this item would be my advice to everyone now.

Can you tell me what the size of your saves are, the ones that become corrupt?

hello similar problem with save files after latest update 2.01. Even tried deleting all saves and starting game from scratch but all saves get corrupted on win 11 pc but on a pc with win 10 there's no problems.
We may have separate issues. What caused my problem was the Chimera Core item you get at the beginning of PL - if you choose to pick it up. I'll be succinct but basically this item seems to break your save files by "bloating" them upwards to 20 MB! This item is what causes the FPS to drop in V's apartment and placing it on the table is what screws with your save files.

I'd stay on windows 10 though if I were you. And for now do NOT pick this item up at the appropriate point in the DLC!

Last edited:
my save file is 6 or 9MB and no I have not placed it I used it to craft a mod

unless its the placeholder on the table that does this

unless its the placeholder on the table that does this
Huh, so you never placed the core on the table, your saves are normal size, and you still get random corruptions? Do your saves get corrupted at a certain size?

Picked up the core, played through PL, crafted a mod, placed it on the table.
No savegame size issues, still about 7MB. Win11.
What I did notice visiting locations I played some time ago is loot still lying around. There may be an issue of loot not despawning and thus gradually bloating the save.

What I did notice visiting locations I played some time ago is loot still lying around. There may be an issue of loot not despawning and thus gradually bloating the save.
Maybe but myself a many others have confirmed that the Chimera core is causing the bug. To know if you will be affected by this bug your FPS will drop in V's apartment, mine was around 6 FPS. After this you saves bloat.

For myself, the only place I have epic lag is V's apartment and it was only after the new patch 2.01. I completed PL before 2.01 I have not placed the core or at least I'm sure I did not since I crafted a mod as far as I know you can only do one or the other place or craft. I do not have this problem with my second character save.

I noticed I was experiencing this issue only after 2.01, not sure if the trigger was that or something else as I don't often visit the apartment.

Today I completed all the Phantom Liberty endings and since those bring me to the apartment, I just decided to place the Chimera Core just because I had the option (I had previously already done this and taken it back) and the lag just went away that instant - tested saving a game after and it was not getting damaged.

Other things that I've noticed about this issue is that previously when the lag was happening, if I visited the apartment real quick and got out before the lag got to like 2 fps or whatever, I could save afterwards just fine after getting out and it would not be a damaged save. However if I waited for the lag to get real bad and then left the area and the lag went away, every save after that point would be damaged.

I also tried picking the chimera core back up and that brings the lag back, then putting it down again fixes it.

Hopefully this helps CDPR to find the cause and fix it

I noticed I was experiencing this issue only after 2.01, not sure if the trigger was that or something else as I don't often visit the apartment.

Today I completed all the Phantom Liberty endings and since those bring me to the apartment, I just decided to place the Chimera Core just because I had the option (I had previously already done this and taken it back) and the lag just went away that instant - tested saving a game after and it was not getting damaged.

Other things that I've noticed about this issue is that previously when the lag was happening, if I visited the apartment real quick and got out before the lag got to like 2 fps or whatever, I could save afterwards just fine after getting out and it would not be a damaged save. However if I waited for the lag to get real bad and then left the area and the lag went away, every save after that point would be damaged.

I also tried picking the chimera core back up and that brings the lag back, then putting it down again fixes it.

YES!!!!!!! I can confirm placing the item does remove lag it happened instantly thanks Abnotus need to do some test saves and play a bit to see if my saves are fine now.

YES!!!!!!! I can confirm placing the item does remove lag it happened instantly thanks Abnotus need to do some test saves and play a bit to see if my saves are fine now.
K so my saves still get damaged even with the lag going away after placing the core but with regards to the lag yes it does go away after placing the core so my saves break regardless the lag or no lag.

K ill be honest not sure if this is related but I noticed there was another item I could place (statue) next to the core after that my saves work 100% sofar

Screenshot 2023-10-11 141141.png

K so my saves still get damaged even with the lag going away after placing the core but with regards to the lag yes it does go away after placing the core so my saves break regardless the lag or no lag.

K ill be honest not sure if this is related but I noticed there was another item I could place (statue) next to the core after that my saves work 100% sofar

Screenshot 2023-10-11 141141.png
so no more lag and saves work 100% ill report back after some time played

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just wanted to share my experience with save corruption and possible solution for now.
I am playing on PS5, new character after 2.0 patch, started new game.
Everything was working fine for quite some time (not counting UI bugs or not able to switch to arms cyberware, etc. this issues are annoying but not as huge as save corruption), have 60+ hours of play time on this character.
Finished Phantom Liberty mission when you get Active Chimera Core, picked core up, but didn't craft weapon mod from it and didn't placed it in V H10 mega building apartment.
Wasn't getting any issues with performance in V apartment (I love to go there sometimes to stash Iconic weapons, go to sleep, etc.)
Continued my game after patch 2.01, no issues with saves corruption or performance in V apartment.
But then, suddenly my saves got corrupted, right after mission with Panam when Aldecados changes camp location. I wasn't been able to quick save, or manual save after this mission. Closed the game, restarted, and my saves now corrupted.
I managed to download older saves from ps+ cloud, finished same mission and this time all worked correctly.
But, I was wrong, not all worked correctly.
Now my fps is going down when I am near V table in H10 apartment, and then game crashes. If I am placing Active Core on the table FPS goes back to normal, but if I am saving after this, my save file becomes corrupt.
I managed to solve this (at least I hope), you need to craft weapon mod from Active Core before you go near H10 building, just fast travel somewhere away.
Then you go to V H10 apartment, and place Core on the table (yes, I have mod crafted from Core but I still able to place it on the table).
Save after this, and now everything should be back to normal.
Hope this would help anyone having same problem.
I also reported this to CDPR.
Corrupted saves issue should be fixed in 2.01, if you believe patch notes :shrug:

View attachment 11369143

so no more lag and saves work 100% ill report back after some time played
well saving files corrupts again not sure why lag no lag don't care if I cant even save my progress

So I figured out what is making the game lag in V's apartment 100% its the hologram of the core on the table you do not have to place it at all just walk upon to it until the hologram appears and you will see, you will get lag if you walk to it again to make it disappear the lag does go away so no need to put the core on display to make the lag go away here is a vid I made look close on the table you will see once it shows up the lag starts and go away the moment the hologram disappears

So I figured out what is making the game lag in V's apartment 100% its the hologram of the core on the table you do not have to place it at all just walk upon to it until the hologram appears and you will see, you will get lag if you walk to it again to make it disappear the lag does go away so no need to put the core on display to make the lag go away here is a vid I made look close on the table you will see once it shows up the lag starts and go away the moment the hologram disappears

and yes once the hologram is triggered saves do get corrupted

Last edited:

Yeah unfortunately my save is already so large and I set the core down, crafted mod, so can't pick it back up to test anything. Just decided to ignore the core on one of my other saves and have had no issues with FPS in V's apartment or corrupted save, so I can quite certainly say its the chimera core causing all of these problems.

Top Bottom