FFVII going to be remade

+
haha yeah, i have a few mates that are really excited about this ala:

but i'm not really that into it, i never really played the series initially and then i never got into it later, I guess i just missed that gaming saga. It will not be a coveted title of mine even if it is amazing and mind blowing, my time is devoted else where. maybe one day i will check it out tho :)

This is a pretty big deal to me. Final Fantasy VII is THE game that compleatly, and I mean COMPLEATLY, change me into the gamer I am today.

All my gaming habits and tendencies, be they good or bad, be it spending hours making sure I have found every single thing and quest I can on a section of a map, my natural level of grinding being as high as it is ("normal gameplay" for me consists of anywhere from 10-50% grinding, grinding which I am not aware of that I am doing), grinding to get the money I need to make sure every person in my party has all the best gear and/or magic from an area befor I leave it, being able to spend every moment from I wake up - till I go to bed up to 16+ hours late (with some pauses for food and bathroom and such of course)- playing a game, my saving habits being as bad as they are (saving in a huge number of different saves, and often, very often, naming saves as well for different things if possible... and quicksave spaming on top of that), not to mention my tendencies for a huge amount of savescumming every now and then (especially when I am in a "want a perfect run" mood... "1% chance to hit? Team is dead from a failure to hit? Challange accepted!"), amongst a lot of other things with my gaming habits and tendencies... all of them... comes from me finding and playing Final Fantasy VII back in 1997. 1997 is in my mind one of the best years of my life partly thanks to FFVII... also, 1997 can be changed to 1979, which is the year I was born.

It is a game that due to sheer nostalgia, bias, rose-tinted glasses, being placed on a pedistal, and of course the game actually being very good to begin with... will pretty much always be placed as my nr 1 favorit, and best, game of all times... even if there are games since which I have felt where just as good, if not better... and even though I am compleatly aware of why it is as high on my list as it is. If anything FFVII is to some extent not part of a top list for me anymore... it "just is"... just like Highlander "just is" one of my favorit movies of all times... etc. It is why my top 3 games actually consists of 6 games... to give other games a chance to be in my top 10 list... otherwise a huge amount of REALLY good games will fall outside of my top 10 (I have after all played games for 25 years this christmas).

So yeah... this is a pretty big thing for me, and pretty exciting as well. Large part due to the chance to get to see (and possibly play) the game made again with almost 20 years worth of technological advancements in the computer and gaming industry. Even if I have no problems with games with low graphics in todays standards, and I do keep going back to certain old games (and some new games as well) with "archaic" graphics)... I do still enjoy seeing and playing games with really good, state of the art, graphics.

But it is also at the fact that new generations of gamers are going to get to experience the game as well, and maybe possibly have a simmilar kind of experience that I had... because due to the age of the game, and due to the advancement in technology and graphics, and due to how large parts of these new generations which has not experienced FFVII yet are ("if it looks bad it must be a bad game" kind of mentality)... they will have a chance to get to experience the game for the first time.

Of course, I would like for them to keep most of the things in the game the same, and just tweek things to make them work well or better, and of course a heavy graphical rebuild of everything so that it might look, and in most part play, more like the quality of for example FFXV seems to have... but for them to keep the turnbased combat system of the original, again with tweeks only.

But that part, the turnbased combat that FFVII had, might not happen... that might be one of the things that went away the fastest when they started working on the FFVII remake... which if that is the case would be a shame. But I don't think I would fault them for maybe not going that way, and maybe more going for what seems to be the type of combat style that FFXII, XIII, and XV, have... because even if turnbased games have been making a comeback in the last several years, I am not sure the people who like turnbased RPG pc/console games are in any kind of majority.

But one xan hope, maybe they do take a chance and stick with turnbased combat for the remake. We shall see.

Riiight. The one with Cloud whatshisface.

Yeah, I think I played it. It was okay, kind of...okay. Neat ideas, though.

Calistarius - I totally feel your sentiments there, I walked a different path but the same one, mine was built by danger dave, diablo, nfs and doom, they shaped my childhood more then any other. notable mentions might also be dig dug and alley cats.

I would like to try the final fantasy world one day tho, just gotta set some time aside for it i think. I would also actually really dig the turn based system. I loved Age of wonders which was a great turn based system probably borrowing from ff

Calistarius - I totally feel your sentiments there, I walked a different path but the same one, mine was built by danger dave, diablo, nfs and doom, they shaped my childhood more then any other. notable mentions might also be dig dug and alley cats.

I would like to try the final fantasy world one day tho, just gotta set some time aside for it i think. I would also actually really dig the turn based system. I loved Age of wonders which was a great turn based system probably borrowing from ff
*nods* There are of course other games that also helped shape me as a gamer, but FFVII was the big one... the following games, and some previous games as well (since I have played video games since 1990), are not to be underestimated when it comes to their effect on me.

Top Bottom