Gaming for 30 years and Oda is the most poorly-designed boss fight I've come across.

+
Long time since I have played but that is how I did him as a nutrunner build, though the fight janked out big time he was clipping through the scenery and got stuck, was very anticlimactic.

I found Oda's difficultly depends a lot on your build. If you go Sandi and melee, he's really easy. Stealthy handguns & rifles build, not so much.

I know I'm going to be barraged with the chorus of "git gud" [...], but the Oda fight is just plain bad gameplay design.

I'll spare you the whining about my dozen or so efforts to kill him, but after getting wrecked multiple times by the combination of stealth and passive health regen, I can only conclude that whomever designed the fight has never played a video game before. My second to last attempt before I managed to drop him saw me get him to 2% health (playing my first playthrough on hard of course), only for him to pop into stealth, then disappear and jump off into some corner somewhere. He absolutely refused to make an appearance and by the time I hunted him down and hit him with a lucky shotgun blast, he had managed to recover all the way to 59%.

Even after all the "improvements" CDPR has supposedly made, the lack of polish and playtesting in this game is just blatant.

So which is it in the end, bad gameplay design, or too high a difficulty level vs what you have equipped (or how you play the fight)? Because if we're talking about difficulty, I can think of at least a cyberpsycho hunt which is even a bit more "engaging" than Oda, at high difficulty of course.

Honestly sounds like a skill issue, not using the tools you have to defeat him.
There are scan grenades you could have used to keep track of him
Also, I've used regular explosive grenades, just watch for the damage and you find him. Like fishing, really.

As an ex-Quaker, equipped with a double-jump and a railgun, err, an Overture, Oda was an easy prey at the hardest difficulty. He barely grazed me fore he fainted.

Soz, choom!

He's definitely not the best but claiming the most poorly designed boss in 30 yrs is a bit ridiculous. A wild exaggeration because he's a better boss than Adam Smasher. I don't like the "Get Gud" thing ppl do either, it's not about that. CDPR bosses in general don't have a hard difficulty curve, it's just a matter of learning the bosses mechanic or maybe you attempted the fight a bit too early before you have the abilities needed to get the result you want.

Last edited:
There is an Oda-like obese man in Prince of Persia's (1989) sixth level who was actually annoying to fight, speaking of 30+ years of gaming.

greetings and salutations...

i just uninstalled the game cus of this. i am a 40 years old gamer too but this is complete madness. that vengeful retreat with homing shots was so much for me. melee was ok, dodge, counters with monocable etc was ok, doable. Yet that vengeful retreat and smart gun made me remove it. It was my second through and wanted to give it a try with its most recent 2.0 patch at hard but i simply failed. I read some comments like ''dodge melee, dont let him heal.'' and such...Guys, what u suggest is like, ''click left mouse button if you'd like to shoot or right button to block''... As soon as you cripple him hes like Einstein and fires the smart gun, 4 hits, bye. You gotta hide behind those stupid walls of cloth, you lose your chance to hit him and he regains his movement and melee again, one mistake, boom. Poorly designed stuff.....I had 20 tech, 17 int, 10 body, 4 cool and 10 the other stuff...

All in all, I cant express enuff how happy i am that i did not waste any kind of money on that DLC, cant even imagine what i might gonna experience...

I honestly respect those who say that its easy, its prolly cus of katana use or better stats and gear or both...But never ever had any trouble with my first play at normal. There is something really wrong at hard imho...

best regards...

I honestly respect those who say that its easy, its prolly cus of katana use or better stats and gear or both...But never ever had any trouble with my first play at normal. There is something really wrong at hard imho...
I just beat him few minutes ago, in very hard difficulty and it took me less than 2 minutes to put him down. Level 41 melee/katana (Tech 20/Reflex 20), Oda didn't have a single chance to fire a bullet.
I'm sorry to hear that, but it was an easy fight, like he always was since release. Not sure it will be as easy with your build anyway (no real "fighting skills" outside of Quick Hacks so if you're not even a powerful netrunner, it should be difficult).

Top Bottom