GIG: Bring Me The Head Of Gustavo Orta

+
I'm wondering if the Gig: Bring Me The Head Of Gustavo Orta is either bugged or simply has a badly designed ending.

Basically after sneaking into Gustavo's apartment and talking to him, we learn that Martha was shot by 6th Street members (gang of her father) and ended up in a coma. And right in front of Gustavo is a screen showing that he is actively monitoring Martha, who is comatose in the hospital.

After V convinces him to leave Night City so he can live on and be there for Martha when she recovers, V leaves the building and gets a call from Padre saying that Gustavo Orta died by suicide. Like... what???

So I thought alright... he faked his death and he'll meet Martha once she recovers. BUT... during this conversation I am actually watching the minimap and Gustavo's NPC blip on the minimap turns from a CIRCLE into an X just as the holocall ends. And once I go up to the apartment, he is actually dead in a pool of blood with the exact same items as he would be if you neutralize him without talking.

So what is going on? Is this a bug or a really badly designed quest ending? It just makes no sense because so far every other gig target I spared would simply despawn when told to leave the city, yet Gustavo literally turns into a corpse infront of my very eyes once the mission ends.

Last edited:
I mean I know the story of Romeo and Juliet, but their story does not imply here whatsoever. The only relation it has to the story is that they are lovers from families that are at war with one another.

Because Martha isn't dead, she's in a coma and there's a good chance she may wake up in the future. And V tells Gustavo that if she pulls through he won't be any good to her dead, to which he agrees. So this implies he loves her and wants to leave the city so he can be with her in the future when she wakes up.

But then immediately after we leave the building he turns into a corpse. Just makes no sense whatsoever, especially because we can see his NPC blip turn into a corpse on the minimap.

It's the only gig in my 320 hours of current playthrough that left me scratching my head. I have no idea whether it is just a bug or simply not properly designed.

Him killing himself makes no sense whatsoever story wise. And if he is supposed to fake his death, then he should just despawn instead of end up as a corpse.

Indeed it's not exactly like Romeo and Juliet :)
And anyway we would have to ask the Devs directly why they did it like that, but that's how I see it (which is just my point of view) :

- Like Juliet, Martha is not dead but it's as if. To quote Gustavo : "she's a vegetable". So I believe he don't even expect that she'll wake up one day.
- Gustavo is not just a "random" Valentino, he's one of the gang's leaders and a relative of the head of the gang, Campo Orta. So even if he seems to agree with V, running away is probably not an option... He probably wouldn't want to be remembered as > Remember Gustavo Orta ? Oh yeah, the former Valentinos boss who left Night City like a coward because of 6 Streets !

So instead of leaving Night City and his rep (which is important for a dude like him), he prefer to end his life :)
(knowing that Martha father certainly won't let it go anyway. So if V spare him and if he stay in Night City, it would be another merc who will come afterwards, then another one, and so on until he die)

Gustavo is not just a "random" Valentino, he's one of the gang's leaders and a relative of the head of the gang, Campo Orta. So even if he seems to agree with V, running away is probably not an option... He probably wouldn't want to be remembered as > Remember Gustavo Orta ? Oh yeah, the former Valentinos boss who left Night City like a coward because of 6 Streets !

As opposed to "remember Gustavo Orta, the guy who offed himself"?

Nah I just don't buy it as it heavily contradicts his character and lore, not to mention it does not feel cohesive with the story whatsoever. Especially because he has two messages that state him having future plans for both Martha and the 6th Street.

- The message that is looted off of him is him contacting a ghost operative to basically start some severe trouble for the 6th Street.
- And the message on his terminal is him contacting a woman to hack into the hospital so he can watch over Martha.
- And he actually has a screen right in front of him on the wall showing a direct feed of Martha while she is sleeping in the hospital.

So for him to kill himself when he is in fact watching over her and has all these future plans for payback against 6th Street is completely against the character and lore. And not to mention that doing so completely contradicts the player's choices too. The whole reason for these hidden optional objectives is to avoid killing a gig target.

A similar situation is during Gig: An Inconvenient Killer, where we have a hidden optional objective to convince Jack Mauser to leave the city, despite being wanted dead by three different parties, one of them being the fixer who gave us the job in the first place. If Jack Mauser can leave Night City, then surely Gustavo can too for a while.

My belief is this quest is just bugged as he is supposed to fake a suicide and leave Night City, yet for some reason the game kills him completely and thus causes heavy contradictions both with the story and player choices.

Last edited:
As opposed to "remember Gustavo Orta, the guy who offed himself"?
Not sure that "officially", he offed himself...
There are plenty of messages around Night City which say "Vengaremos a Gustavo Orta". It seem weird that Valentinos want to avenge someone who offed himself, isn't it ?

And not to mention that doing so completely contradicts the player's choices too. The whole reason for these hidden optional objectives is to avoid killing a gig target.
But V can't always decide the fate of all peoples. A little bit like : "Why V can't save Evelyn..." or during the GIG (Backs Against the Wall), there is nothing that V can do to save the dude life.
My belief is this quest is just bugged as he is supposed to fake a suicide and leave Night City, yet for some reason the game kills him completely and thus causes heavy contradictions both with the story and player choices.
If you think it's a bug, feel free to send a ticket to the support, you'll receive an answer :)

Unfortunately your point about Evelyn or the Corporal does not really correlate as both those characters have a consistent build-up leading to their demise.

Evelyn took her own life due to all the horrible things she went through. First she was a doll, then got remotely hacked, then raped, then barely put together by Fingers before ultimately being given to Scavs for their XBD recordings. She was traumatized to such extreme that she had to trigger a virtu with Judy to survive, but even that was not enough and she eventually takes her own life.

As for the Corporal, he is a war veteran suffering from PTSD and cyberpsychosis due to the war and being denied veteran privileges, so he went mad and his only reason to live is to kill the Corpo politician who made it happen. V reasoning with him only makes him see that killing the politician will change nothing, so he loses his only reason to live and offs himself.

So both these characters have a consistent build-up leading to their demise.

Gustavo Orta's story on the other hand is built towards his love for Martha and payback towards the 6th Street. He is even willing to leave Night City just so he could be with her when she wakes up. But then out of absolutely nowhere... literally and officially dead.

If you haven't, simply watch the video I posted. It literally shows in this order;
  • Me reasoning with him to leave Night City and him wanting to do it so he can see Martha again
  • Then Padre says he is dead by his own hands out of nowhere with zero build up
  • Then at 02:15 you can see him officially die on the minimap ( X marker )
  • And going up there only confirms he is dead
So it's not about deciding fates or saving lives as I have no issue with characters dying, it's simply about story and character consistency, which unfortunately this particular gig completely lacks because it physically kills him in the world. I already posted a bug report before I even made this thread, but wanted to see if anyone knows what exactly is going on with this gig.

So many people have made threads about this gig on Reddit and other places because it is so confusing due to its illogical outcome that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom