Gta vs cyberpunk

+
The cops in this game are mechanic to punish civilian kills, and a prop. They are not a primary game loop. The vehicle AI in the city is designed to simulate real world city traffic at a surface level. Its mostly a prop.

the vehicle AI I'm gta is designed to let you drive around at high speeds, not be true to the general feeling of driving in urban CA.

That's my whole point. If you are not focusing in something, don't sell your product remarking that specifically.

A remaster of San Andreas would be far much better compared to Cyberpunk on PS4 at this point. I wish they would just fix the game fully. It's a shame that such a good storyline and awesome missions are going to waste because of the bad graphics and errors.
I'd love to see San Andreas remastered I loved that game

That's my whole point. If you are not focusing in something, don't sell your product remarking that specifically.

the product was never sold as a gta in the future. Open world has nothing to do with cops and car chases. Open world means you can explore the world relatively freely, and there is a lot of content to be found outside the main narrative

merely having police officers existing, or cars , doesn't mean you should add a cops and robbers game loop on par with a game whose entire purpose is cops and robbers fantasy

merely having police officers existing, or cars , doesn't mean you should add a cops and robbers game loop on par with a game whose entire purpose is cops and robbers fantasy
No, that is true. It is also true that it is perfectly reasonable to expect a game that is set in a city to have the basic trappings of a city. Police officers drive cars. They Patrol. I really can't understand how some can so easily excuse the poor implementation of police in this game on the one hand, then use the argument about the game being too "next gen" for the "old" consoles on the other. The police response was clearly not finished and what is in the game is pretty minimal and poor. The game deserves better.

the product was never sold as a gta in the future. Open world has nothing to do with cops and car chases. Open world means you can explore the world relatively freely, and there is a lot of content to be found outside the main narrative

We all know how it was sold.

No, that is true. It is also true that it is perfectly reasonable to expect a game that is set in a city to have the basic trappings of a city. Police officers drive cars. They Patrol. I really can't understand how some can so easily excuse the poor implementation of police in this game on the one hand, then use the argument about the game being too "next gen" for the "old" consoles on the other. The police response was clearly not finished and what is in the game is pretty minimal and poor. The game deserves better.

next Gen or old consoles has nothing to do with choosing which features to prioritize.

next Gen, and old consoles most has to do with raw computing issues, like fps, resolution, amount of assets in game memory.

Game development is not an infinite space where you have unlimited time, resources, and management. You have to prioritize, and possibly sacrifice, depending on the situation.

The game would be better with better police, but the gain is minimal, because you really aren't supposed to have combat encounters with the police that don't significantly impact your whole life in the cyberpunk world

The game would be better with better police, but the gain is minimal, because you really aren't supposed to have combat encounters with the police that don't significantly impact your whole life in the cyberpunk world
No, that is simply an excuse for a feature that wasn't finished. Deciding that basic features that are missing or barely implemented are not "core" parts of the game seems to be a common defense of this game. It was and still is marketed as "the next generation of open worlds". Why would you be happy to set the bar so low? Sex with companions and nudity are not really core gameplay elements yet I am seeing the same people that dismiss the lack of basic open world or city simulation features as not being important often prioritize such things as being desperately needed.

You're serious, you are still on the police system :(
We all know it's very basic, it's the most basic system possible. But it will be improve later (i'm sur). But for now, it is not the most important for CDPR.
That's all.
Wait and see :D

There are cops and V is most definitely a robber. Plenty of stuff was robbed by V in the main story.
V is a merc and the NCPD are a corrupt underfunded private force that outsources difficult jobs to mercs. The only reason they're after you for trying to steal the car in the street kid prologue is because it's a high profile corpo's car probably paying for a police response in their insurance...... and they let you go because they don't actually care.

Lore wise it wouldn't make sense to have an active police force. (What's there should however be implemented properly)

Gta is awesome, but it's a very different game setting, meant to be a satire of the gun-ho American system with a large dose of Smoky and the Bandit style cop chases.

Neither is realistic, in the real world, people get killed, someone calls the cops they turn up 10- 20 minutes later. Detectives find the killer....eventually.

For leave the police system (yes, it's basic, we know)
For me (and maybe me only), the real difference between these two games is (in addition to the sandbox type of GTA):

All the quests in Rock Star games in general serve to add things in gameplay.
-you go fishing with Jack marston > now you can fish.
-you go deliver merchandise with Trevor > now airports is aviable.
-you do a mission with Franklin who you need shotgun > now shotgun is aviable.
For me it's ennoying as hell. The quests seem to me to be there only to unlock things.

In Cyberpunk, all the quests serve the story and only the story.
(Anything to unlock, maybe sometimes just a weapons, that all).

Maybe i'm alone to prefer the Cyberpunk approch, but for me it's just great :)

Edit:
Sorry, i forget another little point :)
replayability.
-Not too bad on cyberpunk (if you want play another path, another build...)
-Close to nothing on the Rockstar games. Finish a quest with x headshot or in less than x minute for a gold medal, it's not my cup of tea (luckily there are things to do next to the story, without that...)
(like all what i said, it's just my own opinion and fortunately it's not shared by everyone)

Last edited:
No, that is simply an excuse for a feature that wasn't finished. Deciding that basic features that are missing or barely implemented are not "core" parts of the game seems to be a common defense of this game. It was and still is marketed as "the next generation of open worlds". Why would you be happy to set the bar so low? Sex with companions and nudity are not really core gameplay elements yet I am seeing the same people that dismiss the lack of basic open world or city simulation features as not being important often prioritize such things as being desperately needed.

the joy toys are actually extremely simplified presentation of that type of system, less developed than the ncpd by far. And thats fine, because although joytoys are necessary prop for the lore and story, they aren't that important as a gameplay design. And the majority of people can accept that.
the same holds true for the ncpd.

You are deciding a police system is a basic feature, there is no standard that says any open world rpg needs complex police systems.

You are also deciding what the requirements of "basic" are. There is no standard accepted specification for what a "basic" system looks like.
I would say what we have now with the ncpd is a basic level of the feature. They fight crime, investigate suspicious activity, react to small crimes in their presence. Outside of their sight, only attacking civilians will have them hunt you, You can escape them.

and the bar is not low. To me this was better than GTAV, better than Skyrim. What it did well, it did extremely well. You don't need to be the best at everything to be a great game. IMO you severely underestimate how ambitious the game was, and the things they did accomplish.

You are deciding a police system is a basic feature, there is no standard that says any open world rpg needs complex police systems.
No, CDPR created a city with a police force. It is then on them how well it is implemented. Personally, I play as a "good guy" and wouldn't be drawing the attention of the old filth, sorry I mean police officers, but that is not the point. I find it baffling how some will try to excuse this. The game itself makes a big deal about the NCPD and how the game launched is unlikely how the police would have been implemented had the developers had time to finish their work, so this just amounts to making excuses on CDPR's behalf.

No, CDPR created a city with a police force. It is then on them how well it is implemented. Personally, I play as a "good guy" and wouldn't be drawing the attention of the old filth, sorry I mean police officers, but that is not the point. I find it baffling how some will try to excuse this. The game itself makes a big deal about the NCPD and how the game launched is unlikely how the police would have been implemented had the developers had time to finish their work, so this just amounts to making excuses on CDPR's behalf.

Any believable story with a basic civilization needs to have within its lore a concept of police/law enforcement. That is not an optional thing really.

there are tons of games with police, cops, guards, and security that don't heavily interact with gameplay. By your specific standard any Rpg game set in a civilization that has police needs to have a robust AI system, with pathing and tracking. This is not a realistic expectation, this would be a specialty of a specific genre of game. The real truth? in a realistic city, the cops would almost never interact with a crime within 5 minutes, unless they were already watching. The whole concept of gta type police mechanics is a gamefied fiction to encourage the primary gameplay loop. Its a fantasy cops and robbers game.

The real way ncpd would interact with a criminal. would be showing up at their general known locations(or tracking them with tech) with superior force and arresting or killing them. probably hours or days after commiting a crime. This would be horrible within this gaming framework. V would die in prison or in a shootout when they went home, or to see Vik or Mama Welles, probably with no memory of what specifically they did that caused it. The only way to have cops actually discourage players from wanton killing, and show some token existence of police consequences to open crime, is pretty much the way they did it.

1) it needs to happen within a very short time of the infraction, so the player knows what caused it
2) it needs to have no real benefit, and actively obstruct the player
3)It needs to have a high chance of ending the game, because if it does not, there is no long term in this game.

Unless they were trying to build a cops and robber fantasy gameplay, direct conflict with the police needs to be quick, and end the game quickly. Building complex mechanics that take time and lead to incarceration or death 90% of the time would just be bad game design.

Even if they had the technology and resources to add those type of mechanics, it would only really make sense if gangs and enemies, and maybe smaller corps used it.

It's the most basic police system, no one can't denied that. But it's not finish, that all (time/money/decisions, who know).
I tell myself that it's better than nothing at all. And police in Cyberpunk, it's really not the central part... :)
One day, with patience, it will happen, I'm sure ;)

You seem to be deliberately missing the point. I'm not asking for a fully realized system of law and order, I would like to see some actual police cars patrolling to go with the sirens I hear. The Police were clearly an aspect that wasn't finished. You are suggesting that, first, what is in the game represents CDPR's original intentions and best efforts and second, any suggestion that it isn't up to snuff and could do with some serious work is a call for the game to be made all about the police response. You seem to go to extremes just to defend the position that aspects of the game that clearly weren't finished are not only finished, but perfectly acceptable for a "AAA" title. It just seems that some will excuse this game's shortcomings no matter how wafer thin the arguments are.

I agree with the sentiment behind this, but the main fault with this argument is that it's comparing Cyberpunk with GTA as the thread title implies.

While in reality the main comparison should be the Deus Ex games, which to this day I'm struggling to remember if there ever was any wanted system in that game series at all.

Which is the issue with expectations vs result.

Addendum, this is not at all an excuse for the poorly implemented system.

You seem to be deliberately missing the point. I'm not asking for a fully realized system of law and order, I would like to see some actual police cars patrolling to go with the sirens I hear. The Police were clearly an aspect that wasn't finished. You are suggesting that, first, what is in the game represents CDPR's original intentions and best efforts and second, any suggestion that it isn't up to snuff and could do with some serious work is a call for the game to be made all about the police response. You seem to go to extremes just to defend the position that aspects of the game that clearly weren't finished are not only finished, but perfectly acceptable for a "AAA" title. It just seems that some will excuse this game's shortcomings no matter how wafer thin the arguments are.
First off, the context of the thread is in comparison to gtav, if you didnt mean the police system to be closer to gtav, my fault, however its understandable in this thread

2nd AAA doesn't mean infinite resources, lets be honest, this was clearly a hefty effort by most of their studio over the course of 5 years. And people looking at Xbox and ps4 said the game is already demanding the limits of what the game can handle in terms of streaming resources with their physical Hdds, and processing.

Also I'd say that the streaming resources issue, and the high amount of resources required in a vertical city with NC population make patrolling vehicles a much more complex issue than it may seem. Especially if a cop car can easily lead to a large confrontation with police. That said. who knows, with more time, if its a programming priority, it is probably somewhat achievable by some means.

Is it that important for this game? maybe. Its possible if they can solve it they might be closer to other systems they did want to do. To me though, specifically giving police this functionality would probably be more trouble than its worth. Gameplay wise, I'd rather that type of mechanic be given to a force you can actually win against. Especially since in person police(in game) are often over aggressive even with small offenses.

Top Bottom