How I feel about provision costs...

+

DC9V

Forum veteran
Hi!

the "value" in this graph is a personal estimation, purely based on experience.

What do you think? Is it accurate, or do you think that I underestimate the midrange?

When I made this graph, these were some of the cards that I had in mind:
4-prov: Squirrel, Kikimore Workers, Fish Slapper, Pellar, Fangs, Crow Clan Druid/Preacher...
5-prove: Raging Bear, Witch Apprentice, Maxii, Hamadryad, Sly Seductress...
6-prov: Parasite, Dorregaray, Gigascorpion Decoction, Fallen Knight, Selfeater...
7-prov: Apiarian Phantom, Glynnis, Crones, Rat Catcheress, Xavier Moran, Gord...
8-prov: Mandrake, Rockslide, Birna Bran, Ermion, Bribery, John Natalis, Whispess:Tribute...
9-prov: Defenders, Yen's Invocation, Vilgefortz, Vivaldi Bank...
10-prove: Heatwave, Whoreson Junior, Melusine...
11-prove: Scenarios, Keltullis, Mammuna, Sunset Wanderers, Oneiro...

GWENT - provision costs and value.png

DC9V

Forum veteran
so by your graphic the 4p cards value more than 5-6-7 and 8?
e.g. Mammuna: If she would be able to consume gold cards like Rat Catcheress [7p] (given that base power is at 11 or lower) or Golyat [8p], it would play for less points than consuming Kikimore Worker [4p]. Aen Elle Conqueror [4p], or Lesser Witch [4p].

DRK3

Forum veteran
I do like the initiative to do something like this, i've had the impulse to do something similar from time to time.

First, i have to point out OP should be crystal clear what the graph represents - the X-axis is clear enough (provision cost), but the Y (value) not so much. And i think it will mislead some people unless clarified . i think @DC9V meant 'value/prov cost', because if it was just value, it would always go up, only the angle would vary.

So, with this assumption, i think most veterans and pro players would agree on a similar curve, with the less value per prov. on the mid-provision cards (6-9), that's one of the reasons why metadecks are so polarized, built with 7-9 high provision cards and the rest are tutors, thinning, solid bronzes and the occasional mulligans fodder.

Personally, most of my favourite cards are in this mid-provision range, but i admit some validity in their lower value, because quite often they require a lot of setup to reach their potential. So my curve would have the same shape but "softer" (lower highs and higher lows).

DC9V

Forum veteran
I do like the initiative to do something like this, i've had the impulse to do something similar from time to time.

First, i have to point out OP should be crystal clear what the graph represents - the X-axis is clear enough (provision cost), but the Y (value) not so much. And i think it will mislead some people unless clarified . i think @DC9V meant 'value/prov cost', because if it was just value, it would always go up, only the angle would vary.
Yes, it's intended to be value per provision cost, but also with possible combos in mind.
So, with this assumption, i think most veterans and pro players would agree on a similar curve, with the less value per prov. on the mid-provision cards (6-9), that's one of the reasons why metadecks are so polarized, built with 7-9 high provision cards and the rest are tutors, thinning, solid bronzes and the occasional mulligans fodder.

Personally, most of my favourite cards are in this mid-provision range, but i admit some validity in their lower value, because quite often they require a lot of setup to reach their potential. So my curve would have the same shape but "softer" (lower highs and higher lows).
Does this look more accurate to you?
GWENT provision costs _adjusted01.png

This graph encompassing the gwent library is good to show how the cards rate as a whole, but it might have more meaning if it was broken down by each faction, with a separate one for neutrals, to show not only where value/provisions deficits come from, but from what faction(s) as well. It could be that 8 provision cards are valued so low because a specific faction(s) is weighing down the average with its subpar results.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Does this look more accurate to you?
Well, that one is too "soft"... almost an horizontal line.
For me, it would probably be something inbetween the 2 graphs you presented, but you dont have to represent it for me, and also im sure others would disagree and present their own curves.

I usually find it much easier to find a 4 or 5 provision card that works great for it's cost, then to find cards in the 7-9 provision range that I can say "fits perfectly for it's cost".
There are just so many cards that play as 8 for 8 or 9 for 9 and that's just unimpressive when I have 5 prov cards (which can match those points). But there are also many unimpressive cards in the 10-12 provision range like 2 Ifrits, Regis, Regis: Bloodlust, Geralt: Aard, Phoenix, Kambi, Sessentesis etc...

DRK3

Forum veteran
I usually find it much easier to find a 4 or 5 provision card that works great for it's cost, then to find cards in the 7-9 provision range that I can say "fits perfectly for it's cost".
Usually, the cheaper bronzes, the 4-5p, are the easiest to classify according to their value, while the expensive golds can be tremendously valuable but yet hard to evaluate their worth.

But there are also many unimpressive cards in the 10-12 provision range like 2 Ifrits, Regis, Regis: Bloodlust, Geralt: Aard, Phoenix, Kambi, Sessentesis etc...
The Ifrits are indeed a bit lackluster (although i think one of them was buffed recently).
Regis can definitely be worth its cost (its max potential is 47pts, higher than 99% of cards in the game), but very hard to pull off and very matchup dependant, and perhaps even hard to get enough value on average for its cost.
Regis Bloodlust could be super vaulable, but only against Madocs or Lippy Cerys, and the 5p banish bomb does the same.
Geralt Aard is just awful and Nivellen is almost always better for movement.
Phoenix is still overpriced, even after the buff.
Saessenthessis value is its immunity, making it good in unitless decks where you need "safe points". Also, could have value for Harmony.
Kambi (this whole comment was an excuse to defend Kambi :ohstopit: ) can be seen as just 4pts for 10p... Or it can be a wincon, if played as finisher, discarding huge finishers and even blocking them from using leader, ive won so many games because of it, and its dependent on the meta, it shines when the top tier decks rely on huge finishers (like Gord)

Saessenthessis value is its immunity, making it good in unitless decks where you need "safe points". Also, could have value for Harmony.
I meant the neutral Saessenthessis: Blaze version, lol. It's so weak that you forgot it existed. :D
Yeah Ifrit and her did get a meaningless buff that's akin to trying to put out a forest inferno with a bottle containing 0.5 liters of water.
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom