is cyberpunk nietzschean or hegelian?

+
If we take endings into account it is more about if individual success (fame and money) is more worth it than deep personal relationships.

Only works if Panam, Judy and Aldecaldos > every other person V ever met in NC

Only works if Panam, Judy and Aldecaldos > every other person V ever met in NC

If we dismiss the Arasaka ending where you just go back to earth to die as a nobody (same as you started), you 've got 2 options on how to spend your final 6 months before you die (presumably if you do not choose to become code).

-Return to earth and spend the time you 've left as a Night City legend with fame and money
-Spend it with people you love and love you, without fame and money

The game clearly wants you to choose on what is more important. Letting Johnny live in your body is also a form of sacrifice based on the deep personal connection you have created with him.

If we dismiss the Arasaka ending where you just go back to earth to die as a nobody (same as you started), you 've got 2 options on how to spend your final 6 months before you die (presumably if you do not choose to become code).

-Return to earth and spend the time you 've left as a Night City legend with fame and money
-Spend it with people you love and love you, without fame and money

The game clearly wants you to choose on what is more important. Letting Johnny live in your body is also a form of sacrifice based on the deep personal connection you have created with him.
That's exactly my issue with it. If you interpret the Sun ending as picking fame and money and the Star as picking meaningful relationships, any connection V has in NC is automatically thrown under the bus.
V can only choose to spend time with the Aldecaldos and Panam/Judy. River, Kerry, Viktor, Misty, Mama Wells, they're all in NC. There is no option to actually choose the people who "you love and love you" in the ending.

There's good video posted on forums and discussion here (heavy spoilers): https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...nally-thought-spoilers.11074310/post-12783023

Video is very worthwhile to watch regarding OP's question and it's easy play Sartrean take in your mind too while going trough the video.

Game sure have a good use of Greek mythology. I explained it here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...nally-thought-spoilers.11074310/post-12806027

Can't remember a damn about Heidegger, I saw Marx also mentioned but it's a dead end. For purposes to deconstruct the game world, I think going to John Stuart Mill instead would be something that could actually lead somewhere, as game world is alternative future from our reality and split was about 1990.

In general, what people can get from game may depend from point of view. How much we think it's about us, or something else.

I would say Nietzche. V's motivation to become the ultimate, legendary solo is the impetus for the whole story.

Edit: On second thought I don't know actually...can it be both? It can be Hegelian because one ending has the character coming to a realization - the bigger picture of what they actually desire.

Top Bottom