Lord of the rings RPG

+
I just wanted to throw an idea out there and see the response, what would the excitement levels be for an lotr rpg similar gameplay to Witcher but with cyberpunk customization

Based in the 2nd age before the battle of the last alliance, can choice to be a dwarf, elf or dunedain, played in 3rd person with romance and dialogue options. The story basically plays through how each of the 3 each handled the upcoming darkness with the final battle your apart of it. Being able to travel to each of the main locations of middle earth i.e rivendell, fornest, mirkwood etg

Another option would be to do it during the 3rd age about when the witch king started to destroy arnor, either leading up to the fall of fornost or you trying to help rebuild your ppl after it's fall, in this scenario though you'd be able to customize but dunedain would be the only available race and you would be limited to only arnor

I admit it's not perfect just a rough idea but lotr is such a massive potential for an amazing rpg, we got elden ring and Witcher but nothing for the greatest fantasy franchise in the world, true we got lotro but that's outdated, limited to PC and tbh out of all the RPGs while its good you don't have as much control as other RPGs.

Please provide thoughts and hopefully cdpr will also see this and consider it (I know they won't and it's wishful thinking but still)

hopefully cdpr will also see this and consider it (I know they won't and it's wishful thinking but still)
They do not own any rights to the IP, so it is not possible for them to do it.

Apparently, there was a licensed LoTR CRPG in the works over 20 years ago, but it was abandoned.

Maybe there will be one some day. At this point, unless something causes a fresh wave of interest in the setting and world, it seems unlikely. Then again, you never know.

I just wanted to throw an idea out there and see the response, what would the excitement levels be for an lotr rpg similar gameplay to Witcher but with cyberpunk customization

Based in the 2nd age before the battle of the last alliance, can choice to be a dwarf, elf or dunedain, played in 3rd person with romance and dialogue options. The story basically plays through how each of the 3 each handled the upcoming darkness with the final battle your apart of it. Being able to travel to each of the main locations of middle earth i.e rivendell, fornest, mirkwood etg

Another option would be to do it during the 3rd age about when the witch king started to destroy arnor, either leading up to the fall of fornost or you trying to help rebuild your ppl after it's fall, in this scenario though you'd be able to customize but dunedain would be the only available race and you would be limited to only arnor

I admit it's not perfect just a rough idea but lotr is such a massive potential for an amazing rpg, we got elden ring and Witcher but nothing for the greatest fantasy franchise in the world, true we got lotro but that's outdated, limited to PC and tbh out of all the RPGs while its good you don't have as much control as other RPGs.

Please provide thoughts and hopefully cdpr will also see this and consider it (I know they won't and it's wishful thinking but still)
Seeing what happened with Cyberpunk, I'd prefer that CDPR didn't touch the LoTR franchise 😅

Seeing what happened with Cyberpunk, I'd prefer that CDPR didn't touch the LoTR franchise 😅
I would prefer them over other companies and true CP was a massive screw up that has proved them can't be trusted and no better than the other companies they once mocked However there's no denying that CP is good now, Witcher 3 is still an amazing game and they are one of the few companies left that can make a good story based rpg with romance opinions, deep characters and butterfly affect plus who else it left who can actually make a good lotr rpg these days and do it justice, options are limited

I would prefer them over other companies and true CP was a massive screw up that has proved them can't be trusted and no better than the other companies they once mocked However there's no denying that CP is good now, Witcher 3 is still an amazing game and they are one of the few companies left that can make a good story based rpg with romance opinions, deep characters and butterfly affect plus who else it left who can actually make a good lotr rpg these days and do it justice, options are limited

Obsidian, Larian Studios, or BioWare (thinking about their Mass Effect trilogy ... not Andromeda lol).

There are still dedicated people and devs out there, though hard to come by and even harder to get an IP, and all the capital investment to make said game.

Plus, one studio's vision of Middle Earth will no doubt differ from the source material and annoy people what want it more lore accurate.

Just look at Amazon and the disaster of a "story" called Rings of Power :ROFLMAO:

People want to adventure in Middle Earth, however that only exists in the pages of Tolkien's books, and anyone else’s attempt's will always fall short .. especially if they have to appease shareholders and the current cultural climate of any specific point in time, now or the future.

Though LOTR is probably a legal (and idealogical) minefield at this point, I'd be up for a Cyberpunk-scale treatment of MERPS, dunno if I'd be as excited for it as Shadowrun or something like Ravenloft though.

I think Embracer owns the video game rights to Middle Earth stuff right now?

Speaking of; anyone remember this game?

Imagine Final Fantasy X but LOTR and a storyline woven through the plot of the Jackson movies. Had an "evil mode" where you could even play as the Balrog in Moria and fight Gandalf.

Obsidian, Larian Studios, or BioWare (thinking about their Mass Effect trilogy ... not Andromeda lol).

There are still dedicated people and devs out there, though hard to come by and even harder to get an IP, and all the capital investment to make said game.

Plus, one studio's vision of Middle Earth will no doubt differ from the source material and annoy people what want it more lore accurate.

Just look at Amazon and the disaster of a "story" called Rings of Power :ROFLMAO:

People want to adventure in Middle Earth, however that only exists in the pages of Tolkien's books, and anyone else’s attempt's will always fall short .. especially if they have to appease shareholders and the current cultural climate of any specific point in time, now or the future.
I'll give you they make good games especially Larien but would want an rpg with a 3rd person playthrough similar to Witcher 3, I don't know enough about the 2nd to judge but bioware I've lost faith in, even stressing about ME4

True but that's why it would be about a time not very spoken about, e.g imagine getting rwtok perspective from an arnor soldier that becomes something special, something non canon but just follows events or just fills in blanks but not amazon levels of blanks becuase no one wanted that. What they did was criminal

True the books will forever be the main source but there's no denying, lotr is one of if not the best fantasy franchise there is yet there just isn't one rpg that's actually ground breaking for all consoles
Post automatically merged:

Imagine Final Fantasy X but LOTR and a storyline woven through the plot of the Jackson movies. Had an "evil mode" where you could even play as the Balrog in Moria and fight Gandalf.
Can't speak for much of the other stuff you mentioned as I don't fully understand it but I'm more talking about a rpg with butterfly affects, romance options, customization, dialogue control and 3rd person gameplay

Also as for the last bit they kinda already did that in lord of the rings conquest

If any company were to do a Lord of the Rings RPG I would prefer it be Larian. A Baldur's Gate 3 version of LOTR would be great.

So basically a 'family friendly' BG3.

If any company were to do a Lord of the Rings RPG I would prefer it be Larian. A Baldur's Gate 3 version of LOTR would be great.

So basically a 'family friendly' BG3.
Only issue I got with that is that I wouldnt like having a narrator explain most of the story (prefer MC to have voice actor priority) plus personal preference prefer 3rd person but won't deny that larian would do an amazing job but I sadly doubt they would be considered, then again doubt cdpr would be either

Only issue I got with that is that I wouldnt like having a narrator explain most of the story (prefer MC to have voice actor priority) plus personal preference prefer 3rd person but won't deny that larian would do an amazing job but I sadly doubt they would be considered, then again doubt cdpr would be either

Not considered? By whom?

They already had a pretty awesome reputation as developers prior to BG3 but their reputation is through the roof right now. BG3 has caused a 40% rise in revenue for Hasbro and Wizards of the coast. Estimations of sales numbers are at 21 million+... on Steam alone. It's also showing no sign of slowing down as it is still #3 global top seller on Steam three months after release.

BG3 is a smashing success both financially and critically. Anyone owning any kind of story rich IP would be absolutely bonkers to not at least consider Larian for a game - they've proven their worth.

It's also not about being considered. It's about who owns the rights to. As of this moment it's the Embracer group. Who also has it's own stable of video game development studios. Whatever LotR games we will see will come from one of their studios.

I'm not really interested in a hypothetical RPG based on LOTR. It would be going backwards in a sense. Almost all of the high fantasy RPGs people play today are the result of generations of game designers ripping off Tolkien, but also adding and modifying things to make a more enjoyable gaming experience than you'd get out of a game that strictly followed the rules of Tolkien's books.
D&D, Warhammer, and Pathfinder all have Orcs, Dwarves and Elves, but they also have a wide variety of other races and monsters, and they have clear and concise rules about how magic works and stuff like that.

Top Bottom