Only way to make an RPG where choice matters

+
For me "choice matters" is probably on the top list of what I would like to see in a RPG game, and despite many companies uses this as a selling point for their games, it really never turns out to be case. Maybe in certain minor aspect of a game or like in regards to an ending, but overall it doesn't.

So couldn't help thinking about how do you actually do this, because thinking about a game like CP if you should be able to change everything throughout the story the game would be huge and also the quest line almost impossible to keep track of by the storytellers while still making sure that the story even make remotely sense.

Therefore the only way I can see that you would be able to do this, is if a RPG doesn't have a specific main quest. But rather a much more generic one, so if we imagine that the whole intro to CP lasted up until the point where you are stuck with Silverhand, whether that is simply shown through a cinematic or whatever. But after this your only main quest description is, "Figure out how to solve the Silverhand issue" and at this point you are just sat lose in Night city and you as a player would have to gather information that could help you, from wherever you as a real person can think off, by trying to gather clues from random gigs, people you know by doing missions, informations found of shards, hacking and simply using your own brain and obviously with clues from the introduction, rather than being told exactly what and how to do it.

Because as I see it, that way the developers could make X numbers of ways to solving this, which might be completely independent of specific characters. Meaning that in one solution Dex might help, but if he gets killed for whatever reason, that option is no longer available, however the information he might have had, could be known by another person or stored on a data shard, and if you can't find that. You will simply have to find other clues, which might lead to a completely different character, which have nothing to do with the solution that Dex might have led to.

To me this would have several benefits, the replayability would be much higher as each solution leading to an ending would be much more different than following a scripted path. It would also require you as player to think about solutions, paying attention to what people told you, what were written on shards, computers, books etc.
It would make it so no NPC in principle needed to be essential, as information from them could be found elsewhere, which means that their behaviour could be a lot more extreme than they are now, in the sense that in one game you might say something that makes them help you, and in another they might end up trying to kill you, resulting in you having to kill them.

So is wondering whether people think that would work? But also would you consider having to figure out things on your own more entertaining than the current "Mass effect / CP" way of doing RPGs?

Last edited:
Top Bottom