RED Holidays 2023 Contest - Holiday gifts in The Continent!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Holiday_Contests_16x9_EN.png

Unleash your creativity and let the festive spirit of The Witcher guide your imaginative journey! :ohstopit:

Select a duo from The Witcher games universe and tell us about the holiday gifts they'd exchange, diving into the "why" behind each choice. This should be written in English and within 2000 characters (including spaces) and can be embellished with visuals for a richer portrayal of the gifts' essence.

• In this task you have a chance of winning a Dark Horse figurine from The Witcher and a goodie bag!
  • You have time until December 7, 17:00 CET.

Complete contest rules can be found here:
[CONTEST] RED Holidays 2023

Don't forget you can also participate in this contest on our official Discord channel!

Check out other tasks:
RED Holidays 2023 Contest - Holiday postcard for Mama Welles!
RED Holidays 2023 Contest - Holiday screenshot adventure!
RED Holidays 2023 Contest - Edgerunner’s Holiday Decoration!

Last edited:
Ok, it looks like I am the first person to post, so here it goes:

It’s been two years since Vesemir “left” Kaer Morhen for good.

After a lot of hustle, sarcastic comments and jokes Eskel managed to convince all remaining witchers and brothers of arms that survived battle with Wild Hunt to honour all fallen and meet in castle for Christmas.

“Damn” thought Geralt “now I have to bring gifts for everyone….”

“Ok, let’s think” he said out loud
“Yen - that’s simple - her favourite perfume” he wrote it down on piece of paper
“Jaskier - I am sure I can find some old elvish books in a castle once I am there. Who’s next?…. Oh yes, Lambert….” He smiled.

Christmas Morning.

Everyone is exchanging gifts. Suddenly Geralt feels firm grip on his shoulder that spins him round.

“Geralt you old moose, that’s for you!” said Lambert giving him rolled up bundle of fabric. After unrolling it witcher realised it’s a black dress. Used black dress. There was still hay stuck to it, probably from Kaer Morhen stables…

“Hehehe, you know so you don’t have to borrow Yennefer’s when we get drunk tonight”. Said proudly Lambert with smirk.

“Thank you? And that’s for you” Said Geralt and passed a small book to his friend.

“Poems and limericks by Otto Harmoy” read Lambert out loud surprised.

“Open it” said Geralt smiling slightly.

Hand written words on first page read “Lambert, Lambert what a…..”

In my opinion Geralt and Lambert have typical “brothers” relationship. Exchanging gifts would be just another reason for banter to them two. But deep down they love each other and both gifts relate to memories of situations when life for both of them was easier and a little less bitter.

Somehow, Geralt and Ciri found out about the existence of the CDProjekt online store - https://eu.gear.cdprojektred.com/collections/the-witcher.

Due to the upcoming holidays, this is where they decided to buy surprise gifts.

Ciri bought Geralt a brand new wolf school medallion, because the one he was wearing was slightly worn.

Geralt, on the other hand, bought Ciri a figurine of himself so that he could always be with her!

They were both very pleased with their gifts!

I think the best people from Witcher to exchange Christmas gifts are: Dijkstra and Vernon Roche. Dijkstra will gave to Vernon an ointment for his ass pain because he's a patriot but fu*ker, and Vernon would give Dijkstra a Snickers because he behave like a diva xD
IMG_20231206_014530.jpg

The duo from the Witcher universe in my entry is Count Beledal and his disabled daughter Clarissa. They are having a correspondence exchange about inviting Geralt over for Christmas to their home and how his visit and his friendship are the best Xmas gifts for the little girl.

The chat takes form of a series of limericks. Enjoy a little bit of homemade poetry, chooms and Merry Xmas to all at the CDPR!!! :)

1. Beledal

Oh Clarissa, the daughter of mine,

The treasure of my life so fine and divine,

A pack of pictures for Xmas I am sending you

With vile creatures for you to review,

In hope you forget for a moment about your broken spine.

2. Clarissa

Oh daddy, I am so happy from you to hear,

News from your travels never fail to cheer,

The pictures are so captivating,

Centipedes are creatures so fascinating,

How did you manage to capture them so clear?

3. Beledal

It’s all thanks to Geralt, my good choom,

A witcher by trade, you heard of them, I presume?

He tracked the beasts for me in a jiffy

And made some of them cold and stiffy,

While making sure I am not for them to consume!

4. Clarissa

Papa, I am so happy you have such a friend,

Strong and wise, on whom you can depend.

Would you bring him over for a Xmas meal?

I want to hold his swords of silver and steel.

A best present? His friendship on me for him to extend!!!

5. Beledal

I am nearly on the doorstep, my little one,

With Geralt ready for some family fun,

He will tell you about Ciri, his daughter dear,

A girl like you whom he lost and seeks in fear.

Will you seat with him and watch winter sun?

6. Clarissa

Oh papa, I am in the world the happiest gal,

As the White Wolf will be my best pal,

I will listen and watch everything he wishes,

And share with him Christmas dishes,

His presence here will be the gift truly royal!!!

Last edited:
eg.png

:coolstory:Eskel and Geralt :disapprove:

Two witchers of the school of the wolf. Not only sharing same brotherhood, but also are close friends since childhood that even others think they are brothers. Growing together, they have common memories. Geralt could give as present to Eskel a bottle of strong drink, something like vodka or liqueur, just as Esker likes. But not just a drink from closest tavern, but well made drink, based on honey, so they both could remember how Geralt with Eskel tied captured forest bumblebee, when were kids, and laughing hard while watching its antics. This could others make a laugh of silly drunk movements both would do.
But Eskel could give as present to Geralt a rare ingredient for alchemy or crafting, like dragons scale. Eskel is equally skilled as Geralt, only less famous, so he is fully capable of retrieving such rare ingredient, and share it with his good friend. Both are kind person and Geralt would assist his fellow witcher friend if needed even without expensive gifts.
Both those gifts would be in use, while waiting winter to end in Kaer Morhen.
ForEskel.png
ForGerald.png

Attachments

• eg.png
    eg.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
I will let Keira Metz speak on my behalf. ;)
We both agree that Lambert and Triss present exchange would be rough...
Text version below.

lambert & triss presents.jpg

Lambert,

It goes without question that there is a serious matter we must address as soon as I am back.

I understand that being privy to Geralt’s complicated love-life, you did not have a reason to acquire a positive attitude towards sorceresses – and I can very well deal with that myself. I also understand, that there is nothing You can do about your personal sympathies. I would advise you to speak in a more measured terms next time. If possible. Back to the reason why I decided to write you this letter. What I fail to understand, is what transpired during the meeting with my, regardless of everything, your opinion included, friends.

When I told you to prepare gifts for them, I did not, in my wildest thoughts, expected you to do so guided by your prejudice. What sort of foolery possessed you into thinking that gifting Triss a jar of scar-smoothing salve would be an appropriate choice? You are not fond of each other, I have been made aware of that more times than I care to count. It shouldn’t be hard for two people of your age to put your differences aside. It’s time to act with kindness, not with all the tact of a drunken sailor. There is an endless list of trinkets one could gift to a woman – except for sweets perhaps. You know how Triss cares about her figure. You really didn't need to show your best qualities here, since it has affected me as well. I don’t do shame – and I burned with it for the rest of the dinner. Their disapproving looks and, worse perhaps, their thoughts - I have not endured something like this since leaving Velen.

I also think the perfume Triss got for you, with the apt name of “BRUTAL” was very poignant. She could have done better, but I have a feeling, she knew exactly what to expect from you. Or maybe, she decided that causing someone’s consternation over a gift is simply an essential part of the Yule.

I will be returning home on the day after tomorrow.
Your Dearest,
Keira M.

cdp_red_entry_witcher-duo.jpg

In the icy grip of Kaer Morhen's halls, Lambert and Eskel found themselves alone during Christmas. With nothing but snow and silence around, they decided to break the monotony and try out this human tradition of exchanging gifts.

Lambert, always up for mischief, pitched the idea. "Hey, Eskel, heard about this human thing called Christmas? They give each other presents. Let's give it a shot."

Eskel, intrigued, agreed. "Presents, huh? Why the hell not?"

So, off they went, scavenging the castle for gifts. Lambert, being his dramatic self, stumbled upon a corset in one of the few Yennefer’s remainings.

"Check this out, Eskel. Figured it might add some flair to your usual attire. You'll look badass."

Eskel raised an eyebrow, but a smirk betrayed his amusement. "You're nuts, Lambert, but thanks, I think."

Not to be outdone, Eskel had a plan for Lambert's gift. Knowing Lambert's cooking skills were less than stellar, he went for the practical route. Noodles, goulash, and a bottle of top-notch mead.

"Here you go, Lambert. Maybe now you won't set the damn kitchen on fire every time you cook," Eskel quipped.

Lambert laughed, accepting the gift. "Well played, Eskel. Might just save me from starvation."

With a corset in hand and culinary delights exchanged, Kaer Morhen felt a bit less lonely. Amidst the echoes of their laughter, the two friends discovered that even in the solitude of winter, the spirit of Christmas could warm the coldest corners.

And so, in the snow-covered halls of Kaer Morhen, Lambert and Eskel celebrated an odd but memorable Christmas, proving that even witchers could find joy in the simple act of giving and receiving.

Ciri's present.png
Geralt gift.jpg

Geralt sat in a chair neighboring a cheery, firelit hearth. He motioned Ciri to sit opposite of him.

Ciri accepted the invite while handing him a bundle. “Feels like things are changing. Don’t know why or if for the better, but they are. I wanted to show things between us won’t though, no matter what.”

Geralt turned the bundle in his fingers as his eyes fell on a handsomely constructed coin purse: it was made of high-quality materials, expensive dyes, and an ornate stitching sat on its front. It was a practical gift, and one he appreciated since his was terribly worn.

Three figures nestled against one another in a stitched picture on its face. Ciri, Yennifer and the Witcher. Red strands started on an independent journey from each person, and were sewn into a wild trek all over the coin purse much like marking a voyage on a map, until all three strands ended on the bottom, in a singular gold dot. Even in the end, it seemed like Ciri still held hope for a future where fate kept them together.

“Things always change, Ciri. Histories are rewritten and we make choices that shape the future in ways we don’t expect. The lands change, people change, and everything in between. We’ve changed.” Geralt emphasized as he handed her a couple of bulky, timeworn journals.

The covers were faded beyond repair. Most of the pages were torn or shabby as she flipped through them. They held memories and stories; some she’d almost forgotten. Old monster contracts they’d fulfilled with a small piece from each creature. Pressed flowers or greenery from lands visited. Feathers. Songs, poems and tales told around campfires. Polished, thin stones. A coin from a winning toss. Old maps that marked past trails. Personal messages. Wise lessons written to her by the Witcher himself. She never knew he had saved it all.

“Despite changes, I hope I’ll always remind you of home.” Geralt murmured.

She’d heard that expression before. It’s always about the people, not the place. This was the true gift. A home.

When Ciri decides to spend winter in Corvo Bianco, she discovers a problem:

What on earth will she get Yennefer as a gift?

She racks her brain as she rides through Toussaint, where the falling snow is turning the vineyards a brilliant white. It’s been so long since she spent winter with Yennefer and Geralt; she wants this to be special. But try as she might to think of a gift, her mind remains blank. By the time she reaches Beauclair, it’s already evening. When the sun sets, the shops will close and Ciri will have missed her chance. She needs to think of something fast.

What would Yennefer like…perfume? No, this shop doesn’t sell lilac and gooseberry scents. A new dress? But all these gowns look the same to her. What if she bought something ugly by accident? What about…wine? Yennefer does enjoy – no, what is she thinking, Yennefer lives on a vineyard now! That would be pointless!

The sun is starting to set, and Ciri is starting to panic. She’s trekked all around Beauclair and only has numb hands to show for it (her gloves are worn down, she needs a new pair). In a final act of desperation, she visits a jeweller and buys the first silver necklace she sees. It costs every penny from her recent contract, and it looks fancy. Surely this will do?

When she finally reaches Corvo Bianco, the snow has become a blizzard. B.B. ushers her inside, where Yennefer frets about her frozen hands and Geralt fetches her a warm brew.

“Here. This is for you.” Yennefer passes her something wrapped in silk and ribbon. Ciri unties the bow, unveiling a beautiful pair of black fur gloves. Just what she needed.

“Oh, thank you…” Ciri passes her the necklace. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t think of anything – and, ugh, this is so gaudy and not your style at all, and –”

“It’s perfect.” Yennefer smiles.

“Really?”

“Yes. Because you bought it. So whenever I wear it, I shall think of you.”

Ciri smiles, and hugs her mother. Spending winter with her family – she really couldn’t ask for a better gift.

This a story about Ciri & Galahad, with some other fimilar characters. I wasn't sure if 2000 words was the minimum requirement, but I'll post the full short story under this one. Please read the bottom context for more info. Thank you and enjoy the short story!

==============================================
The Witcher 3: A Holiday Tale

The halls of Kaer Morhen were nicely decorated for the Holiday party, festive music filled the halls. Hours later after talking, laughing with friends and family, feasting on a hot delicious cooked meal, sharing stories of battles won next to the fireplace, exchanging gifts under a largely decorated pine tree... Ciri and Galahad walked away from the noise. "I wanted to give this to you" Ciri handed Galahad a cloth wrapped sword. "Ciri, this is...it's incredible! ...How did you find this?" he asked, shocked. "Well, I acquired it a year or two ago, by a certain Witcher and when you said you were looking for an ancient sword, I just knew it was the one you were looking for." Ciri said with a smile. Galahad, impressed and amazed he said, "I have something for you too."

He handed her a small wrapped box with a tied bow on it. Ciri opened the box to reveal a beautiful glowing necklace. "It's one of the most precious necklaces in the world." She pulled the necklace out of the box and was intrigued by its beauty. "I had this necklace made specifically for you, if we were to see each other again that is." The necklace had a long gold chain with a Celtic love knot pendant. Two small jewels in each of the hearts, representing two lovers. There were spaced out small colored beads, round the whole chain. Galahad holding Ciri's hands with the pendant, "You see the two jewels in the pendant? Its part of The Holy Grail and the beads surrounding it are part of The Knights Round Table. It glows because it has strong magical healing powers." Ciri almost in tears, started to say, "Galahad I can't acce--" he puts a finger over her lips "shhhh, don't ruin the moment." He puts the necklace around Ciri's neck, he then points upwards, in the archway above them hangs mistletoe. Ciri throws her arms around Galahad and kisses him. Yen nudges Geralt and points over towards the archway, where the young couple were kissing. They both grinned and Geralt took Yen by the fireplace and kissed her passionately.

And that was one of the best Holidays they ever had.

401314621_856918039245112_843253458394557805_n.jpg

406041354_876610370841786_2956842394351716247_n.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20231207_081519_Video Player.jpg

=======================================
(The Full Story)
The Witcher 3: A Holiday Tale

It was cold and Ciri was fighting a Fiend. She was gathering gooseberries for Yennefer to make her favorite perfume. Ciri managed to smash the Fiend into the mountain, she thought the battle was over, she headed towards Kaer Morhen. But, before she could even turn around, the Fiend had knocked her to the ground, she raised her hand up as if to protect herself, she thought she was a goner until a tall man stabbed the beast in the chest. It let out a loud cry with its last breath. A hand reached out to Ciri, she knew it was a familiar face.

"Galahad!" she exclaimed, as she reached out to take his hand. "Ciri" he said in a deep voice, helping her up off the ground. "What are you doing here?" Ciri asked. "Well, I was out looking for a rare sword, said to be a very powerful ancient sword, until I heard a loud crash in the distance, that's when I came to investigate and that's when I saw you. It looked like you might have needed a hand" he said as he gave Ciri a tight hug. "Thank you Galahad, I thought I was a goner there for a minute. I'm glad you came to investigate", she laughed. They both chuckled amused they both found each other once again.

"So, what were you doing out here?" Galahad asked. "Oh, I'm out here, just gathering some supplies for a gift I'm making Yennifer, you know with the Holiday season coming up" she said. "Well, you should be more careful, those fiends are sneaky creatures" as they both walked towards the sunset. "Yeah I know, Vesemir used to say the same thing. Hey, would you like to come over for our Holiday dinner? There's going to be a big feast there Geralt and Yen will be there and a few friends" she asked. He thought it over and though he was nervous he eventually agreed. "Yeah you know, that sounds great. I've been on the search for this sword for a while now and I could use a good home cooked meal" he said. Ciri had the biggest smile on her face. "Let's head there now then before it starts snowing." she said as she was getting on her horse. Galahad got on his horse and together they rode off to Kaer Morhaen.

It was a few days ride back to get there, they stopped to camp a few times. There Ciri crafted Yennefer's perfume gift and stuck it in her satchel. She already had Geralt's gift, a very rare Gwent card she won in a High Stakes Tournament, she knew he'd love it. The next day, they finally made it to Kaer Morhen where Geralt was waiting for her, leaning against the outside door. "So, what took you so long? And accompanied by this stranger." Geralt said, smirking at the two of them. "Geralt, you remember Galahad?" she asked laughing. "Sure do, who could forget someone who helped our Ciri." Blushing, Ciri said, "Well, looks like he did it again." Geralt impressed said, "Oh really? What was Ciri up to this time?" Galahad explained what had happened, as they all walked inside. Snow started to fall as they walked inside. You could over hear Geralt saying, "Looks like you two just made it before the snow."

The halls of Kaer Morhen were nicely decorated for the Holiday party, festive music filled the halls. Hours later after talking, laughing with friends and family, feasting on a hot delicious cooked meal, sharing stories of battles won next to the fireplace, exchanging gifts under a largely decorated pine tree... Ciri and Galahad walked away from the noise. "I wanted to give this to you" Ciri handed Galahad a cloth wrapped sword. "Ciri, this is...it's incredible! ...How did you find this?" he asked, shocked. "Well, I acquired it a year or two ago, by a certain Witcher and when you said you were looking for an ancient sword, I just knew it was the one you were looking for." Ciri said with a smile. Galahad, impressed and amazed he said, "I have something for you too."

He handed her a small wrapped box with a tied bow on it. Ciri opened the box to reveal a beautiful glowing necklace. "It's one of the most precious necklaces in the world." She pulled the necklace out of the box and was intrigued by its beauty. "I had this necklace made specifically for you, if we were to see each other again that is." The necklace had a long gold chain with a Celtic love knot pendant. Two small jewels in each of the hearts, representing two lovers. There were spaced out small colored beads, round the whole chain. Galahad holding Ciri's hands with the pendant, "You see the two jewels in the pendant? Its part of The Holy Grail and the beads surrounding it are part of The Knights Round Table. It glows because it has strong magical healing powers." Ciri almost in tears, started to say, "Galahad I can't acce--" he puts a finger over her lips "shhhh, don't ruin the moment." He puts the necklace around Ciri's neck, he then points upwards, in the archway above them hangs mistletoe. Ciri throws her arms around Galahad and kisses him. Yen nudges Geralt and points over towards the archway, where the young couple were kissing. They both grinned and Geralt took Yen by the fireplace and kissed her passionately.

And that was one of the best Holidays they ever had.

400632152_758438546280882_6859623206430253809_n.jpg

===========================================

For some context, I was conflicted on whether to have Ciri with Galahad or Hjalmar, but because the books end with Ciri and Galahad, I went with him for this story. The sword in the story, you might think of as Aerondight. I was uncertain whether to say it was indeed that sword, but it was the one I had in mind. For the reason, I thought, after Geralt settled down, he would no longer need the Aerondight sword, so he would probably give it to Ciri, but even though Ciri could definitely use it, she also has very strong powers and I think in Ciri's position, giving her love interest, Galahad, the best sword to defend himself with would be something Ciri would do. In the end, I think Ciri would most-likely inherit Geralt's Wolf necklace. In this short story, the gifts were very intimate gifts to each other, to symbolize the love they share and the future they hold, that is the "why" part. Happy Holidays to everyone at CD Project Red!

406657417_325217070271767_6881656951106807083_n.jpg

A more restful sleep might yield a kinder fate, reasoned Kambi, if there is any reasoning to be had in a golden fowl. In either case, a gift of potentially added restful slumber he grants his fate-entangled companion Hemdall, who in turn is passively giving the gift of a stay of execution. Maybe when the time comes, the added benefit of a darker shut eye perhaps might put him in a better mood than initially prophesied.

hemdallkambifinalsignedresized.png

(Had to choose my favourite cards from GWENT :p:beer:)

Last edited:
Zoltan and Jaskier had many adventures together. For me, they are the best couple of pal. They both have real Slavic Witcher practical gifts for each other. Jaskier will give Dwarven Spirit and Zoltan will give Temerian Rye. It should be remembered that both of them expect that their gift will be opened, so that they can taste it xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom