Rumor: Microsoft interested in purchasing AMD

+
The agreement as it stands is actually a renegotiation, so it has history to take into account. It was renegotiated after Intel charged that AMD's spinoff of GlobalFoundries breached the original agreement (which licensed Intel's IP to only a producer of x86 chips; AMD by spinning off GlobalFoundries became fabless). Intel will again charge that a buyout of AMD constitutes a breach rather than a transfer of ownership. Because no buyout (and certainly nothing so big as AMD) occurs without some of the target being spun off, broken up, or discontinued, Intel will once again be able to mount an argument that a court will not simply disdain. The matter will end up being settled (as it should be) by a renegotiation between Intel and the new owner, again on terms very favorable to Intel.

---------- Updated at 12:09 PM ----------

Once again, there are no substantiated rumors of an actual buyout. Many candidates, including Microsoft, Samsung, Qualcomm, and AMD partner BLX IC Design, have been mentioned; the Microsoft claim is merely the most often repeated (repeating a rumor falls short of being confirmation). AMD has not announced an intent to sell, nor have they retained consultants who specialize in mergers and acquisitions. Instead, they have announced plans for future development that only an entire, independent company would undertake.

So I do not believe there is foundation to rumors of an AMD buyout. There is not interest in the stock such as accompanies buyout activity, there is not any announced or implemented action to sell the company, and there are buyers who are at best only plausible.

Apparently more rumors surfacing that Microsoft is interested in purchasing AMD.

This website fudzilla.com, sounds like a website that jokes or just spreads lies or something, but apparently it has a decent reputation.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38725-microsoft-interested-to-acquire-amd

Interesting, but still nothing of substance except an unverifiable claim that M$ and AMD are in "talks".

AMD is certainly in need of capital to remain a going concern and therefore a buyout target. But for anybody, including M$ or Intel, to want them is still a supposition.

I don't see AMD entering into something that would have them lose their identity completely but then again who knows . I do know AMD is building a new chip plant I don't remember where though so either way they plan on moving on .

After divesting themselves of all their foundries, business being poor enough that their former subsidiary GlobalFoundries is laying off. and being chronically short of capital, the possibility of AMD building a new plant (which is about as expensive as a small war) boggles the mind. Any foundation for that statement would be interesting to see.

Last edited:
I think that was Fab 8.2. it was supposed to cost $14.7B that AMD certainly didn't have. GlobalFoundries, which is no longer anything to do with AMD, (AMD sold their stake; the Emir of Abu Dhabi owns it all) has not completely discarded plans to build it. AMD is completely out of the chip business. All their product is made under contract.

Last edited:
I think the media around here hasn't completely caught up with the news then . The article I was thinking of was from July and GlobelFoundries and AMD were talked about as if one . The plant in Malta , NY is GlobalFoudries then , Marcy NY landed AMS and GE .
It would be nice to know what is going on with AMD unless what they are planning is to sell their rights to their new APU to microsoft .

Well, it's at least in part wrong. GlobalFoundries and AMD are entirely separate entities. There may be reporters who are not aware of the divestiture. AMS (Austria Micro Systems) is indeed the one behind the Marcy plant.

AMD doesn't publicize moves early. But they must be sold in one piece to avoid a quarrel over the standstill agreement with Intel.

Top Bottom