Sniper rifles shooting through highway support beams is dumb

+
On a gaming level, making sniper rifles capable of firing through any substance is just not fun, because, it makes cover useless and forces the player into a head-on engagement. Limiting choices.

On a realism level? not only would it take a very, very, very hefty round to be able to pierce any concrete/metal combo, including highway support beams. But, if guns could do that in night city? With all the violence, a) no one would be safe... anyone important would instantly be sniped through walls. And B- ALL THE BUILDINGS WOULD COLLAPSE because the support beams would be Swiss cheese.

I hope this decision is rethought :)

On a gaming level, making sniper rifles capable of firing through any substance is just not fun, because, it makes cover useless and forces the player into a head-on engagement. Limiting choices.
Or just push players to study a bit the areas before engaging an open combat and to take care about snipers equiped of this kind of weapons first. Or take care of them even before engaging other enemies by using alternative ways, like Quick Hacks, stealth approach or maybe with sniper rifles too. So if you choose to start a fight without being aware that there is a sniper which can shoot on you through walls, that's a choice and probably not the best one ;)

Last edited:
I agree that shooting thru walls takes all the FPS fun out of the FPS and you sidestep all the "find the angles", timing and cover tactics. I mean you may as well be standing in an open field with blinders on your face right? But honestly I never found myself in a situation where I was shot dead by unseen snipers. Maybe I was careful to take them out before alerting everyone of my presence or I moved too much (love the leaping katana kills) for them to get a bead on me... :shrug:

So I just never got too frustrated with it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought only charged tech weapons could shoot through walls? Plus it's pretty situational. I ran tech weapons once and barely ran into circumstances where shooting through walls was useful.

aybe I'm wrong, but I thought only charged tech weapons could shoot through walls?
Yes, but (regular) Grad sniper rifles can too. But it's pretty much a portable tank gun :)

On side note, when enemies with tech sniper rifles will shoot on you, there is a "light beam" which is displayed several secondes before they shoot. So you have a bit of time to move, at least a bit of time to try to do something.

Personally I never relied too much on shooting through walls because I always roleplay my V as mindful of the fact that there's a much greater risk to hitting civilians. So I only ever used the tech in very specific spots (most of the city makes it way too irresponsible to use IMO).

E.g. I'll use the Widow Maker at the Scav beach to rapidly level up tech (once the crowd leaves).

"SNIPER RIFLES SHOOTING THROUGH HIGHWAY SUPPORT BEAMS IS DUMB"

Guessing that's probably because the game doesn't know what you're shooting through. You can also shoot underground targets straight through the mesh.

It should be down to bullets/slug type.
An irl gun nut of NC should be able to mod Overture to do the same.

Top Bottom