So whats your opinion on current state of path tracing and RR?

+
I recently build a new rig with 4080s so was super excited to finally try CP77 at max settings with path tracing. Eventhough it looks amazing I must say I am a bit dissapointed with the technical state of path tracing and respectivelly RR also.

The things I noticed most are:
1. Black blocky artifacts on some objects as you get closer to them (think its some of the LOD transition bug with path tracing enabled) and can be at least patialy resolved with some draw distance mod (the LOD transition not happening so close, so its less noticable).

Here is a video:

2. Shadows on trees and foliage are somehow broken. Seems like the PT draw distance for shadows/lighting on trees and foliage is very weak and the transition for some baked ligting to PT happens very close to the player and the transition is very agressive and distracting.

Again a video:

3. Some of the "cloth" like objects in the world are broken and flickering from its apperance to a blocky black as it moves to the wind. Not very often you come at one of those, but its extremely distracting when you do.

4. Really bad ghosting, especially with moving cars and around NPCs. At some areas its not very noticable, but in some (like the megabuilding where V apartment is) the ghosting is crazy.

5. Still quite a bit of shimmering and visual artifacts (still its better then with RR off)

6. The left edge of the screen can get bugged with PT sometimes. Creating other noise or black line (ghosting) as you move camera.

7. The game can get very dark sometimes in the interiors. (brigthness setting not doing anything with this, had to install a night vision mod to see in certain areas lol), some kind of real eye adaption should be implemented. Like evein irl when you go to a pitch black room your eyes eventually adapt to the darkness and you can see around. Something like that would be appreciated if implemented to the game.

8. RR can get somehow blurry (oily) at times, which is a bit weird since it should increase visual fidelity.

Even with all those issues listed above I still think its worth it though. The overall visual improvement over regular RT (and of course no RT) is crazy and it looks amazing. Shame it has so many issues, which can get really distracting sometimes and immersion breaking. Hopefully this could be adressed in some future patches, eventhough CDPR stated they are basically done with the game, I hope some bugfix and technical improvements of the game will still be coming our way.

So anyways, what is your take on the PT and RR right now? You think its worth it or not? And do you think we can expect some fixes from CDPR in the future or not likely anymore?

Ray tracing is so pretty I rather lower other graphics settings so my graphics card doesnt choke. Maybe path tracing is buggy, but its new technology. Programmers will learn...

It doesn't look much different (if any) from the common RT, or even without it.
Though, beware, settings in Cyberpunk 2077 are bugged, too often it won't apply what you set, and it just does its thing.

I think it's great in further making things feel like part of a single world, with colours bleeding from one surface to another etc. Particularly what it does to eg objects in bounced sunlight.

As I play at just over 1080p I don't use DLSS because the loss of detail even at quality just isn't nice, and DLSS sharpening at that resolution is still pretty unsightly (and doesn't, anyway, restore the lost detail), so I can't use ray reconstruction. But when I've tried with DLSS, RR has looked the icing on the cake.

Compared to plain raytracing, I've found it essentially impossible to go back. The subtlety of the lighting effects makes raytracing look crude by comparison.

Strikes me as unlikely they'll patch it fully or at all since it was announced simply as a technology preview of an emerging technique.

Last edited:
I use native 1440p resolution. I do not like DLSS. Tried quality setting. In motion everything is little bit blurry. Sharpening has 1 sec delay.

Like the OP I also upgraded to a 40-series card but honestly I MUCH prefer regular RT to path tracing. To me, the lighting is way more cinematic most of the time (I mean during scenes). Although sometimes I even have to turn certain RT settings off for a few specific moments, like when talking to Claire at the vantage point (her hair shadows look ridiculous in that scene).

Last edited:
Top Bottom