[SOLVED] - Out of memory issue when getting in the vicinity of Badlands/Rancho coronado dam after 2.11 update

+
Per title. My sanity is long gone as I'm getting reproduceable crashes in the same game area that was inspected from any possible angle, both on foot, in any vehicle or by fast travel (pic for "border of no return" that leads to immediate CTD below)
20240212024345_1.jpg

The crashlog says the following
Code:
Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.5022294  P4CL: 6565293  Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Release
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression:
Message: Out of Memory! Failed to allocate 40 bytes with alignment 8.
File: E:\R6.Release\dev\src\common\redMemory\src\systemOOMHandlerBreak.cpp
Line: 37

"uptimeSeconds":341
"stopThreadID":4820
"exceptionCode":0x80000003
"processID":25724
... and so on

This happens exclusively on 2.11 update, never happened on any previous version of the game, both on modded and fully vanilla.

Things I've tried to troubleshoot:
- Disabled any CPU overclocking
- Disabled GPU undervolting and OC software
- Disabled XMP and reset bios to default
- Installed all OS updates, all motherboard and peripheral updates, even gone as far as flashing updated firmware for LAN and some peripherals
- Messed with page file - increased it manually (up to 70gb); set a second page file on a secondary SSD; disabled OS drive page file by leaving the one on 2nd SSD
- Disabled unnecessary software running in autorun of background
- Tried last 6 GPU driver versions including latest 551.46 hotfix
- Verified game files (30+ times)
- Ran the game at lowest possible settings and resolutions
- Reinstalled the game from scratch (7 times)
- Disabled all overlays and Windows Game mode
- Ran "Mod remover" mod to remove the mods when I had them
- Reinstalled the game completely, which means I've uninstalled the game via Steam, nuked the remaining folder, CDPR and Redengine folders in %Appdata%, DirectX cache and Nvidia driver caches.

System specs:
i9 11900k
32Gb RAM
RTX 4080
Windows 11 Pro

Now here's the catch. I still have my game save from 2.1 while I was standing on the dam. I can load it just fine and interact with the game like usual, fast travel anywhere etc. But as soon as I'm leaving this border (pic above) and come back immediately - I'm having CTD with the same crash log.
I really need help solving this, the game is unplayable after this latest update.

I've attached full latest crashlog, the working save on a dam and the save for an immediate CTD reproducing.
Ticket #38863 has been created earlier with no positive results so far

Attachments

• Latest crashlog.zip
    6 MB · Views: 10
  • CTD up front in 5 meters.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Save on the dam from 2.1 that loads just fine.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Well, just a guess but it seem very familiar to an issue someone else encountered not long ago... The game crashed each time he approached Lizzie's bar.
It was because he used once a mod which affect an NPC in the Lizzie bar. So each time he got close to the Lizzie bar and so, the game has to load the area, the game crashed.
I could be wrong, but if I remember, it was tie to the save file, so no matter if he removed/uninstalled mods or completely reinstalled the game, the game keep crashing around Lizzie's bar (not sure how he fix it or even if he fix it...)

My guess would also be that one of your mods altered something within your save file.

Mod remover does not scrub your save from what mods may leave in there. In other words, after a clean install if you load your previously modded save, you are most likely not back to a vanilla state even if you don't reinstall any mods.

Outside of mods, there really isn't any reason for you to be experiencing this. Especially considering you went through pretty much every option short of nuking your computer entirely (which I highly doubt would do any good). Considering how large the area is, if it was some bigger issue with the game, others would be reporting this easily reproduceable crash.

So, yeah, it sucks but my guess would really be that some mod(s) modified something in your save and it isn't playing well with 2.11. At which point your options are pretty limited... rollback to 2.1 if you can since it worked well back then or start over.

Note that I'm not saying there no other possibilities but in my experience this is the most likely explanation. If you're running a completely clean install right now, it may be worth starting a new save with no mods and then just rushing to the point where you can go there and test it out. If a completely clean save/game does not crash, that'll answer that.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
The thing is while I started to believe that something borked my save file, they appear to be working just fine for guys from CDPR who tested those on their end. I followed the latest suggestion to start a new game by skipping to Phantom Liberty and went into the problem area as soon as initial dialog stopped. And I crashed, in the very same places I've tested before on older saves this like overpass exit to the dam from the south, bridge road from the north and west from a small construction site with cyberpsycho event in it.
The thing is all my saves worked fine and I followed CDPR's recommendation to start anew after 2.0 update dropped. I've played on 2.01, 2.02 and 2.1 just fine. It's the 2.11 update that broke something important that refuses to load a "cell" within dam vicinity :(

„Start a new Game“ is just like „we don’t have a f*cking clue what’s going on“ - it’s their standard advice after every patch… yet something people want to hear the last on an AAA game patch…

„Start a new Game“ is just like „we don’t have a f*cking clue what’s going on“ - it’s their standard advice after every patch… yet something people want to hear the last on an AAA game patch…

True but it was worth a shot. But if they know save files can be corrupted by some mods or even their updates - this should be their top pritority to patch, not adding car color changes, and as an afterthought, it's seems suspicious to me my crashes might be connected to that BFC 9000 weapon spawn implementation they've added in 2.11, I mean it's within the same area after all.

True but it was worth a shot. But if they know save files can be corrupted by some mods or even their updates - this should be their top pritority to patch, not adding car color changes, and as an afterthought, it's seems suspicious to me my crashes might be connected to that BFC 9000 weapon spawn implementation they've added in 2.11, I mean it's within the same area after all.

While I fully agree that they should work out what has historically caused their updates to corrupt saves and fix it, the same cannot be said for mods.

Modding has always been an "at your own risk" deal and it's unrealistic to expect any developers to adjust their patches to fix specific mods that cause issues. They can try to add some protections and redundancy to reduce the chances of crashes and if I recall correctly CDPR did do that in one patch. Even in Bethesda games, with development built around modding, it's quite easy to permanently corrupt a save with mods.

Anyway, with that said, there is something unique on your end causing this because it works on CDPR's end and so far no one has reported this problem and this is a huge area. That's where things gets incredibly difficult because you've tried pretty much every reasonable thing you could already.

I assume you're not on GOG and can't roll back to test if it also started behaving this way on 2.1? It feels like something you would already have done if you could.

Start a new Game“ is just like „we don’t have a f*cking clue what’s going on“ - it’s their standard advice after every patch… yet something people want to hear the last on an AAA game patch…
I don't think so... As far as I aware of, 2.0 is the only game version about which CDPR suggested it would be better to start over according of the amount of changes the update introduced.
Modding has always been an "at your own risk" deal and it's unrealistic to expect any developers to adjust their patches to fix specific mods that cause issues. They can try to add some protections and redundancy to reduce the chances of crashes and if I recall correctly CDPR did do that in one patch. Even in Bethesda games, with development built around modding, it's quite easy to permanently corrupt a save with mods.
Yeah, anyone who mod a game (whatever the game), should be aware that there is always a little risk to do so (to break your game, to screw your saves,...)
And taking care of mod issues/problems is probably very far to be CDPR's top priority...
But if they know save files can be corrupted by some mods or even their updates - this should be their top pritority to patch
Well, if you mod your game, you're pretty much on your own ;)
Note: using mods may lead to unexpected, incorrect behavior of the game and their effects may be kept in save files.

As mods are community-created content, we cannot provide support for any one particular mod. To attempt fixing the modified game and remove any installed mods, try to perform a clean installation of the game using the instruction here.

If this doesn’t help or if you don’t want to remove the mod, we advise reaching out directly to the mod's creator for assistance.

I don't think so... As far as I aware of, 2.0 is the only game version about which CDPR suggested it would be better to start over according of the amount of changes the update introduced.

Yeah, anyone who mod a game (whatever the game), should be aware that there is always a little risk to do so (to break your game, to screw your saves,...)
And taking care of mod issues/problems is probably very far to be CDPR's top priority...

Well, if you mod your game, you're pretty much on your own ;)

What's even the point ? I mean I've stated that I've modded my game but even with a fully nuked vanilla version of the game on a clean New Game save I still have the exact same issue, even though it worked just fine on previous 4 versions of the game which means it's uneffected by any mods, conflicts or even game settings - everything has been purged before latest reinstall. :rolleyes:
Post automatically merged:

While I fully agree that they should work out what has historically caused their updates to corrupt saves and fix it, the same cannot be said for mods.

Anyway, with that said, there is something unique on your end causing this because it works on CDPR's end and so far no one has reported this problem and this is a huge area. That's where things gets incredibly difficult because you've tried pretty much every reasonable thing you could already.

I assume you're not on GOG and can't roll back to test if it also started behaving this way on 2.1? It feels like something you would already have done if you could.

Yes, I'm not on GOG, I have a Steam version. I've tried downgrade to 2.1 through Steam depot before and it was working fine. But then again, anything CDPR changed in the particular part of the map affected its asset loading that results in memory corruption, albeit in such unique situation as mine. Also I just got a reply from a frined of mine, the only mod he ever used was the one removing the glitch animation when opening inventory, and he's getting crashes at the exact same location, even after he removed this only mod, and the guy has completed the game several times before but it's crashing for him on 2.11 as well. There should be some pattern that can be reproduced but I don't know where to look.

Last edited:
What's even the point ? I mean I've stated that I've modded my game but even with a fully nuked vanilla version of the game on a clean New Game save I still have the exact same issue, even though it worked just fine on previous 4 versions of the game which means it's uneffected by any mods, conflicts or even game settings - everything has been purged before latest reinstall. :rolleyes:
Well, it's quite surprising that anyone else encountered the same issue... at least anyone else on the forum :rolleyes:
Surprisingly, someone encountered a very similar issue not long ago, issue which was due to a mod (Rita Wheeler Romanced, if I remember)

Per title. My sanity is long gone as I'm getting reproduceable crashes in the same game area that was inspected from any possible angle, both on foot, in any vehicle or by fast travel (pic for "border of no return" that leads to immediate CTD below)
View attachment 11383441

The crashlog says the following
Code:
Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.5022294  P4CL: 6565293  Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Release
!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression:

"uptimeSeconds":341
"stopThreadID":4820
"exceptionCode":0x80000003
"processID":25724
... and so on

This happens exclusively on 2.11 update, never happened on any previous version of the game, both on modded and fully vanilla.

Things I've tried to troubleshoot:
- Disabled any CPU overclocking
- Disabled GPU undervolting and OC software
- Disabled XMP and reset bios to default
- Installed all OS updates, all motherboard and peripheral updates, even gone as far as flashing updated firmware for LAN and some peripherals
- Messed with page file - increased it manually (up to 70gb); set a second page file on a secondary SSD; disabled OS drive page file by leaving the one on 2nd SSD
- Disabled unnecessary software running in autorun of background
- Tried last 6 GPU driver versions including latest 551.46 hotfix
- Verified game files (30+ times)
- Ran the game at lowest possible settings and resolutions
- Reinstalled the game from scratch (7 times)
- Disabled all overlays and Windows Game mode
- Ran "Mod remover" mod to remove the mods when I had them
- Reinstalled the game completely, which means I've uninstalled the game via Steam, nuked the remaining folder, CDPR and Redengine folders in %Appdata%, DirectX cache and Nvidia driver caches.

System specs:
i9 11900k
32Gb RAM
RTX 4080
Windows 11 Pro

Now here's the catch. I still have my game save from 2.1 while I was standing on the dam. I can load it just fine and interact with the game like usual, fast travel anywhere etc. But as soon as I'm leaving this border (pic above) and come back immediately - I'm having CTD with the same crash log.
I really need help solving this, the game is unplayable after this latest update.

I've attached full latest crashlog, the working save on a dam and the save for an immediate CTD reproducing.
Ticket #38863 has been created earlier with no positive results so far
Found something that might give you a clue. It's a month old.

"Game crashes during Nocturne Op55N1
Modding
Whenever i go to take the gun and pills at Viktor's, the game crashes. Contacted GOG suport, waiting for response.

Expression:

Yes i use mods but when i disable those i loose all items. Did anyone had something fimiliar and managed to fix it ? I found some older post with this saying to delete 2 folders, done it but didnt help. Lowered all settings, capped at 30 fps, updated graphic drivers, still nothing. Played in october to check if could have the secret ending and passed that part no problem back then. Also is there any CET comand to skip current part of the quest, not to finish it completly. Finishing the quest in CET makes you stuck in clinic. Have 32 gigs of RAM and 3070Thanks in advance

For people with same issue i managed to separate the mod which was causing it. Night City Interactions https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/5519 i had it not updated and looks like i havent used this mod ingame before so i didnt had the crashes. Looks like this animation/interaction is using assets from this mod or mod is using this animation. Anyway for anyone who have the same problem, there is a solution"

Yes, I'm not on GOG, I have a Steam version. I've tried downgrade to 2.1 through Steam depot before and it was working fine. But then again, anything CDPR changed in the particular part of the map affected its asset loading that results in memory corruption, albeit in such unique situation as mine. Also I just got a reply from a frined of mine, the only mod he ever used was the one removing the glitch animation when opening inventory, and he's getting crashes at the exact same location, even after he removed this only mod, and the guy has completed the game several times before but it's crashing for him on 2.11 as well. There should be some pattern that can be reproduced but I don't know where to look.

As @LeKill3rFou pointed out, the fact that a mod is about X does not mean it won't affect A,B,C and K too. I can't count how many times I've had mods cause trouble that immediately look like they're outside of the scope of what the mod does affect. If we're being honest, the only thing two things in common between you and your friend's situation are the crashes and the fact that you're both running modded save/games.

CP2077 is moddable but it is not mod friendly. You can remove mods but the overwhelming majority of them will leave traces in your save file. This is not a Bethesda game with a plugins that are largely self contained type of situation. Further to that, even vanilla CP2077 is fairly fragile. Any change is risky.

With that said, you did say you started a new save, skipped to PL and still experienced this. I assume that was done following a clean install, including removing every residual file, and no mods installed afterwards? If that's the case, then you may be on to something but I just did the same thing. Started a new game, skipped to PL, drove to the area, drove up and down the whole place. Went up on the damn and drove off the cliff into the badlands then came back into the area. Then went to Japantown and back to the area. Not a single crash. I've used mods in the past but this install is clean.

I'm not accusing you of lying about the clean save/game or implying your friend isn't on a clean/game, I'm merely saying that if there is some pattern that causes this, it's such a freak occurrence that all I can say is good luck to anyone trying to figure it out.

Found something that might give you a clue. It's a month old.

"Game crashes during Nocturne Op55N1
Modding
Whenever i go to take the gun and pills at Viktor's, the game crashes. Contacted GOG suport, waiting for response.

Expression:

Yes i use mods but when i disable those i loose all items. Did anyone had something fimiliar and managed to fix it ? I found some older post with this saying to delete 2 folders, done it but didnt help. Lowered all settings, capped at 30 fps, updated graphic drivers, still nothing. Played in october to check if could have the secret ending and passed that part no problem back then. Also is there any CET comand to skip current part of the quest, not to finish it completly. Finishing the quest in CET makes you stuck in clinic. Have 32 gigs of RAM and 3070Thanks in advance

For people with same issue i managed to separate the mod which was causing it. Night City Interactions https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/5519 i had it not updated and looks like i havent used this mod ingame before so i didnt had the crashes. Looks like this animation/interaction is using assets from this mod or mod is using this animation. Anyway for anyone who have the same problem, there is a solution"

This was interesting, I've looked up and I see I had this mod installed a long time ago on a previous playthrough, but not on a recent one. So I reinstalled it and uninstalled "in the safest way" as said in the description. Unfortunately this didn't help either. But still was worth a shot

As @LeKill3rFou pointed out, the fact that a mod is about X does not mean it won't affect A,B,C and K too. I can't count how many times I've had mods cause trouble that immediately look like they're outside of the scope of what the mod does affect. If we're being honest, the only thing two things in common between you and your friend's situation are the crashes and the fact that you're both running modded save/games.

CP2077 is moddable but it is not mod friendly. You can remove mods but the overwhelming majority of them will leave traces in your save file. This is not a Bethesda game with a plugins that are largely self contained type of situation. Further to that, even vanilla CP2077 is fairly fragile. Any change is risky.

With that said, you did say you started a new save, skipped to PL and still experienced this. I assume that was done following a clean install, including removing every residual file, and no mods installed afterwards? If that's the case, then you may be on to something but I just did the same thing. Started a new game, skipped to PL, drove to the area, drove up and down the whole place. Went up on the damn and drove off the cliff into the badlands then came back into the area. Then went to Japantown and back to the area. Not a single crash. I've used mods in the past but this install is clean.

I'm not accusing you of lying about the clean save/game or implying your friend isn't on a clean/game, I'm merely saying that if there is some pattern that causes this, it's such a freak occurrence that all I can say is good luck to anyone trying to figure it out.

There can't be any residual files because they're stored in Cyberpunk 2077 folder subfolders. It was nuked along with both folders in %appdata%. The only thing I haven't tried yet is turning off cloud save feature and wiping all save files before starting a new game. This is what I'm intended to do now

There can't be any residual files because they're stored in Cyberpunk 2077 folder subfolders. It was nuked along with both folders in %appdata%.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by "removing residual files"

The only thing I haven't tried yet is turning off cloud save feature and wiping all save files before starting a new game. This is what I'm intended to do now

It's worth a try.

Theoretically, your save shouldn't affect your game unless you load it but at this point, what have you got to lose?

Try it, let us know if it works.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by "removing residual files"

Anything the isn't removed by Steam uninstall feature where the folder and some files still exist. Like D:\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\... .

It's worth a try.

Theoretically, your save shouldn't affect your game unless you load it but at this point, what have you got to lose?

Try it, let us know if it works.

Just tried this. Was welcomed by a dialog telling about analytics collection feature upon booting the game. I've loaded Phantom Liberty shortcut and went to this pain area of mine -> got CTD while driving the overpass near the dam.

This was interesting, I've looked up and I see I had this mod installed a long time ago on a previous playthrough, but not on a recent one. So I reinstalled it and uninstalled "in the safest way" as said in the description. Unfortunately this didn't help either. But still was worth a shot
When you cleanly reinstall the game, do you also remove the CD Projekt Red game save folder? Can be found here.
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red

The reason I ask is that any new save created in a preexisting CD Projekt Red folder with saves that had (faulty) assets or mods in them, will automatically inhered the (negative) effects that those assets/mods had delivered in the previous saves.

That is I'm guessing, due to this uncanny inconsistency in the Red Engine where it fails to spawn/despawn game assets, with UIs like the boss' healthbar, status ailments, relic effects persisting throughout the game, main jobs, side jobs, gigs, skills, perks, vehicles, NPCs not unlocking, starting, running or completing.

Can also try this. It originates from CDPR Support.

"Please try to reinstall your GPU drivers. To do so completely follow these steps:

Download the newest drivers for your GPU using the following link https://www.nvidia.pl/Download/index.aspx?lang=en, but don't install them yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller from this link -> https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.

Next, please, follow the instruction below.

1. Delete:
REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
2. Make sure that DirectX12 shader cache is not corrupted. To do so right-click on the hard drive where the game is installed. In the General Tab click Disk Cleanup and mark the DirectX shadercache tickbox. Unmark any other tickboxes and start the clean-up.

3. Restart your PC and launch the game. See if it helped."

Last edited:
When you cleanly reinstall the game, do you also remove the CD Projekt Red game save folder? Can be found here.
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red

The reason I ask is that any new save created in a preexisting CD Projekt Red folder with saves that had (faulty) assets or mods in them, will automatically inhered the (negative) effects that those assets/mods had delivered in the previous saves.

That is I'm guessing, due to this uncanny inconsistency in the Red Engine where it fails to spawn/despawn game assets, with UIs like the boss' healthbar, status ailments, relic effects persisting throughout the game, main jobs, side jobs, gigs, skills, perks, vehicles, NPCs not unlocking, starting, running or completing.

Can also try this. It originates from CDPR Support.

"Please try to reinstall your GPU drivers. To do so completely follow these steps:

Download the newest drivers for your GPU using the following link https://www.nvidia.pl/Download/index.aspx?lang=en, but don't install them yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller from this link -> https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.

Next, please, follow the instruction below.

1. Delete:
REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
2. Make sure that DirectX12 shader cache is not corrupted. To do so right-click on the hard drive where the game is installed. In the General Tab click Disk Cleanup and mark the DirectX shadercache tickbox. Unmark any other tickboxes and start the clean-up.

3. Restart your PC and launch the game. See if it helped."

Yes, that's exactly what I've done. Yesteday I've moved the entirety of C:\Users\username\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red folder elsewhere and launched the empty game with no saves, it still crashing in the same area.
We ofc don't know for sure what CDPR has changed in the latest update, but that little smth literally broke the game.

OK. Looks like I finally found a solution. Idk how or why but my installation always gone corrupted smh it seems. Like I said I've redownloaded the game multiple times and verified game integrity multiple times. I went off the usual route this time and looked up online which files were updated in 2.11. Then I compared the sizes of each folders and decided to wipe Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\ep1 one. Then I verified game files again with Steam loading up the folder back. Now the game works just fine ffs.

Huge thanks to everyone who tried to help :howdy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom