SPAAAaaAaAAaAaACE!!!

+
SPAAAaaAaAAaAaACE!!!

I recently picked up the Deep Space source book, and I am wondering how common its' use is, and how soon I should introduce its' rules and setting. As it stands now I am probably looking at a few months (minimum) before I take players to the vast expanse of space, but I am wondering if that will be enough or even too much. To say the rules for space are complex is an understatement, and I don't want to run the risk of turning them off it by introducing it too soon. But the setting is very appealing and could make for some cool encounters. I know the rules say that taking the campaign to space should be a one-way ticket, but I am wondering if anyone else has parts of missions take players to space briefly. Is it worth it? Do the effects of zero-G based maladies make it too risky?

As for taking the campaign to the vast expanse for any considerable time, should this be done before or after the 4th corporate war?

i was part of a team that got strong-armed into going to space once... the team universally hated it. don't get me wrong, there were a couple cool moments involving standing on a habitat module and firing an RPG at a rather large ship, but on the whole I'd recommend against trying to send them up for "just one job". there's really no plausible explanation for edge-runners getting sent into orbit when there are usually people up there that could do the job AND know how to operate in the environment already. people on the crew got "space sick" and were basically useless for the run, and we essentially had to strip search one of the solos because we were afraid she would smuggle a slug thrower aboard and kill us all via hull breach.

in the end we fulfilled the bare minimum of the contract by taking the thing to the place and then bunkered down rather than take part in the "war" like we were expected to. after about 5 sessions, we ended up liberating a ship we barely knew how to operate and announced we were going back to earth or would die trying... about that time our contact let us know our shuttle ride back to terra firma was waiting at the nearest spaceport. 5 out of 5 edge-runners surveyed agree, FUCK SPACE!

that said, if you can come up with a logical reason for them to go there and WANT to be there... your mileage may vary. some even say it is THE place

Space, if run properly is extremely interesting, and dangerous.
If your players are not detail oriented they'll absolutely hate it. You can't just grab a space suit and put it on ... well you can ... if you're suicidal. It has to fit YOU and you have to know how to check the seals and the environmental systems, how to move in low/zero-g, and any damage to that suit - ANY DAMAGE - and you're in a world of hurt, do you know what to do to hopefully survive?

Call me weird but the danger of space and all the shit you have to keep track of to stay alive looks awesome. Reading the section on radiation got me excited to run a session or two IN SPACE.

Ways to die in space:
1: Being exposed to a radiation blast from a solar flare without being in a shielded area
2: Being exposed to a radiation blast from a solar fare without being in an area shielded enough
3: Being exposed to a radiation blast from a solar flare while in a shielded area
4: Being exposed to a radiation blast from an enemy particle beam
5: Being exposed to a radiation blast from a friendly particle beam
6: Being exposed to a radiation belt (which is almost everywhere in orbit!)
6: Cancer. (Because you were exposed to radiation)
7: Brittle bone disease from Zero-G
8: Weakened immune system from Zero-G
9: Dehydration from Zero-G
10: Heart disease from Zero-G
11: Muscle atrophy from Zero-G
12: Colliding with a wall in Zero-G
13: Loss of oxygen to the brain due to recycler failure
14: Loss of oxygen to the brain due to suit malfunction
15: Loss of oxygen to the brain due to puncture in space suit
16: Loss of oxygen to the brain due to puncture in the hull
17: Loss of oxygen to the brain due to puncture in your skull
18: Starvation due to being stranded (either in a derelict ship, or an over capacity storm shelter)
19: Getting shot with illegal bullets
20: Getting shot with a gyro jet
21: Getting shot with lasers
22: Getting shot with missiles
23: Getting thrown out the airlock
24: Getting stabbed
25: Atmospheric reentry failure
26: Collision with meteor
27: Having your life support systems shut off by the Martian Ghoul
28: Cryogenic failure

And that's just to name a few. SOOOO many ways to die in space.

yep, the environment itself is actively trying to kill you 24/7, like south central with the added chance of depressurization. the only place i can think of that is as bad would be a run on an undersea "research" facility... which i also did as a character, but that PBEM fissled out before anybody could get stuck behind a bulkhead and drown :( too bad, seeing as i was the "corp" and thus the only one packing heat... was gunna make them respect my authoritah, oh well.

Just picked up the 2nd Chrome book and I am going through the section on full cyborg conversions (love the designs by the way) when I happened across the one designed for space. Seems a tad overpowered to me, if basically negates the majority of the dangers of space. Suddenly you are immune to radiation, EMP, hull breaches, Zero-G maladies, and more!

well keep in mind that's a big chunk of change to shell out for just one guy... corps hate spending more than they need to. for each of those bodies that goes into orbit, why not send along 3 or 4 braincases and let them cycle out, then you get one high dollar body spread across 4 drones to keep it humming 24/7. but what happens when you're not in the hot seat? if your corp has any heart whatsoever they'll make a VR for those not on shift to fuck around... and if they have a cold shrived heart that VR will include micro-transactions! could also be a work around, since your undocked brain-case won't get all that nifty shielding ;)

also, if you're sending them to space, hunt down a copy of MOON (2009). you're welcome ;D

Top Bottom