Starfield! Spaaaaaaace...ladders.

+
Interesting, I just realized that the space ships that land on the planets are not sperate cells from the game world but are actually giant repositionable mashed together 3d structures. Like if you took a player built home from fallout 4 and added rockets to it.
Yep. I try not to look at them too closely, or I see LEGO Starfield.

SO for the Pc crowd i learned that Nvidia drivers has some Starfield issue... Resizeble bar is disabled for example, game ready drivers my A**. You can enable it by using nvidia profile inspector and going to Starfield profile/5 - common/enable rBAR and selecting 0x000000001(first one) in rBAR options and 0x00000040000 (first one) rBAR size limit. Seem to run a bit better for me after this.

SO for the Pc crowd i learned that Nvidia drivers has some Starfield issue... Resizeble bar is disabled for example, game ready drivers my A**. You can enable it by using nvidia profile inspector and going to Starfield profile/5 - common/enable rBAR and selecting 0x000000001(first one) in rBAR options and 0x00000040000 (first one) rBAR size limit. Seem to run a bit better for me after this.
Bethesda/Microsoft had some strange arrangement with AMD in which they pretended that Nvidia didn't exist. Either the agreement was short, or Beth/MS said screw it, because they're fixing the Nvidia stuff and implementing DLSS.

But, I have finally figured out the real defect with Starfield. There are no space tunes. No Freestar Radio or Rangers' Reports; no UC public channel with recruitment advertisements and updates on the war against the bugs; no Crimson Crooner live at the Kryx; no Neon New Wave; no Coast to Coast AM with Barrett. So many missed opportunities.

But, I have finally figured out the real defect with Starfield. There are no space tunes. No Freestar Radio or Rangers' Reports; no UC public channel with recruitment advertisements and updates on the war against the bugs; no Crimson Crooner live at the Kryx; no Neon New Wave; no Coast to Coast AM with Barrett. So many missed opportunities.
I guess yes, but Bethesda keep it realistic :)
I encountered a guy from Settled Systems News Network (SSNN at New Atlantis) on a space station, who explained me that he had to come on the space station himself, because regular communications by radio waves would take years to reach New Atlantis.
So for example, if you would be at Akila City and would be able to listen a radio from New Atlantis, what you would hear would have been broadcasted about 25 years ago (radio waves move at light speed and the distance from New Altantis to Akila City is about 25 light years).

I guess yes, but Bethesda keep it realistic :)
I encountered a guy from Settled Systems News Network (SSNN at New Atlantis) on a space station, who explained me that he had to come on the space station himself, because regular communications by radio waves would take years to reach New Atlantis.
So for example, if you would be at Akila City and would be able to listen a radio from New Atlantis, what you would hear would have been broadcasted about 25 years ago (radio waves move at light speed and the distance from New Altantis to Akila City is about 25 light years).
ehhhh? I don't think it's about realism, man. It's just something they didn't do. There are local radio broadcast at all the major settlements with reports regarding the players actions and politics. I'll grant them some of the lore that some technology was lost here and there from the war, but the lack of radio stations is a bit striking.

Not to mention that, outside of companions, the open world NPCs are probably the worst I've seen in an open world game. They saw what CDPR did and said "hold my beer".

ehhhh? I don't think it's about realism, man. It's just something they didn't do. There are local radio broadcast at all the major settlements with reports regarding the players actions and politics. I'll grant them some of the lore that some technology was lost here and there from the war, but the lack of radio stations is a bit striking.
Yes there are local radios. But be able to listen Cydonia/Akila/Neon/New Atlantis radios/news on your ship wherever you want, like on the other side of the galaxy, make no sense...
Not to mention that, outside of companions, the open world NPCs are probably the worst I've seen in an open world game. They saw what CDPR did and said "hold my beer".
I agree, NPCs are not better than in Cyberpunk... :giggle:

Last edited:
Yes there are local radios. But be able to listen Cydonia/Akila/Neon/New Atlantis radios/news on your ship wherever you want, like on the other side of the galaxy, make no sense...
Why not? We send radio signals out into space right now? I know there's the whole retro nasa punk this with lofi tech where and there, big knobs and clacky keyboard - but that doesn't exclude radio frequencies. Could easily headcanon it's on some delay if you really wish, but I think radio stations on the ships more than makes sense.

Why not? We send radio signals out into space right now? I know there's the whole retro nasa punk this with lofi tech where and there, big knobs and clacky keyboard - but that doesn't exclude radio frequencies. Could easily headcanon it's on some delay if you really wish, but I think radio stations on the ships more than makes sense.
Hum... Because radio waves move at light speed. Which is incredibly fast, but in view of the distance between stars, it's rather slow... Like I said, if you send a message from New Atlantis using radio waves, at Akila they will receive the message only 25 years later.

Take a look on the milky way, the little yellow dot, it's the furthest extent of radio signal broadcasts since... well, since humanity ever emit radio signals. In short, if someone/something is outside of this dot, they never heard any human TV program or any radio yet.
Capture d’écran 2023-09-18 à 11.05.28.png

So listening recorded tunes or at least listening a radio in its own system (like New Atlantis radio, in Alpha Centaury system), it seem fine, but outside, nope... way too far.
That's why it was fun that Bethesda created a dialogue especially to point out that the guy had to come in person in the space station, because transmission are far too slow and if not, the news would be... outdated by years.

Yea radio in space is probably impossible unless you wait 25 y for it. Heck even Mars is 20 mins away for light from us... kinda makes it hard to communicate. Guess they could grav jump it somehow just like ME did with quantum entangelment..

Yeah and I can't say I ever really enjoyed Bethesda's radios.

"THIS IS THREE DOG"

Do we really want more of that?
By god, Art Bell will broadcast into the empty void of deep space and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
Post automatically merged:

Hum... Because radio waves move at light speed. Which is incredibly fast, but in view of the distance between stars, it's rather slow... Like I said, if you send a message from New Atlantis using radio waves, at Akila they will receive the message only 25 years later.

Take a look on the milky way, the little yellow dot, it's the furthest extent of radio signal broadcasts since... well, since humanity ever emit radio signals. In short, if someone/something is outside of this dot, they never heard any human TV program or any radio yet.

So listening recorded tunes or at least listening a radio in its own system (like New Atlantis radio, in Alpha Centaury system), it seem fine, but outside, nope... way too far.
That's why it was fun that Bethesda created a dialogue especially to point out that the guy had to come in person in the space station, because transmission are far too slow and if not, the news would be... outdated by years.
This is just an absurd extrapolation. You're getting hung up on whether or not there should be radios in the space ships as if it's a matter of realism - we're flying spaceships in a video game for crying out load! :) If we're going to split hairs on realism; I would be more concerned with invisible moons casting light on the surface of a planet, or landing on patch of said planet when it's clearly in starlight but the map generating into late hours of night.

This is just an absurd extrapolation. You're getting hung up on whether or not there should be radios in the space ships as if it's a matter of realism - we're flying spaceships in a video game for crying out load! :)
I don't know if absurd is a fair word to use. You'd think if a loophole was discovered to navigate cosmic scales with manned spaceships in a reasonable timeframe then a similar provision would exist for communications though.

This is just an absurd extrapolation.
Yea i kinda have to say its physical reality, the games are the absurd one if theres anything that is :D. i kinda like that they aimed a bit for realism tbh. Most start systems are pretty realistic. Space flight is not but gravity and so on are. They could do it like every star system has a channel but that would leave em with like 400 songs needed or something -.- and 100 djs.

I don't know if absurd is a fair word to use. You'd think if a loophole was discovered to navigate cosmic scales with manned spaceships in a reasonable timeframe then a similar provision would exist for communications though.
Not mandatory :)
While ships use energy to power their onboard grav-drive to fly through space (yes, not realist, but they have to fins a way for players to travel between stars^^), radio waves can't use a similar systems.

In fact even Mass Effect point out a similar issue. Ships can use Mass Relay to reach far points of the galaxy, but comunications face the same issue, i.e have a quite long delay of travel. On the SR-2 the illusive man "solve" this issue. You can communicate in real time thanks to the ship's quantum entanglement based communications array. But it's limited to one point to another point only.

Yea i kinda have to say its physical reality,
You're missing my point if that's your argument. I'm not arguing against the reality of sounds travelling through space because I don't care about reality. We're already zipping around the galaxy at several dozen light years per second, where we deal with clones, semi-sentient robots, a wide range of alien wildlife, and various factions - the conclusion of which is
that we transit the center of the multiverse and exit the other side with a slick set of new armor and an entirely alien craft as if reality itself had bestowed these upon us as a gift
in a video game, it's not a stretch to say there could be radio stations when hails from other ships or the checkpoint performaing a contraband check are instantaneous. At any rate - there are no radios now so I don't see them ever being implemented in any official capacity so it is what it is. It's not about realism but what's believable btw. If the stretches this game takes with regards to other material are more than acceptable, and they are to me, I think it's a bit of a back flip to get hung up on this and argue it's absence was for realism's sake.

Not mandatory :)
While ships use energy to power their onboard grav-drive to fly through space (yes, not realist, but they have to fins a way for players to travel between stars^^), radio waves can't use a similar systems.
Yeah, I still don't see it. If you can do it with a ship housing a person you can likely accomplish it with communcations much easier. It may not rely on electromagnetic radiation (radio waves) but there are many ways to encode and transmit information.

Yeah, I still don't see it. If you can do it with a ship housing a person you can likely accomplish it with communcations much easier. It may not rely on electromagnetic radiation (radio waves) but there are many ways to encode and transmit information.
But the limitation remains the speed of light which a a kind of wall and despite to be incredibly fast, remains very slow comparing to the size of space :)

Bethesda decided what level of realistism they want to stay "believable", which is subjective... A bit like most of the planets don't home life, which is very realist. But almost and at least, one planet on each system home life, which is totally unrealistic. I simply pointed out that there is a dialogue is the game specially about that (and Mass Effect decided at time, to follow the same system... Ships can move faster than light, while transmissions can't).

Beside, they could have implemented a kind of "radio system", but in a different way. Like a bunch soundtracks (or even play lists) that you can buy on each major city, musics you can play whenever and wherever you want on your ship or on feet while exploring. Realist, believable and convenient.

We're already zipping around the galaxy at several dozen light years per second, where we deal with clones, semi-sentient robots, a wide range of alien wildlife, and various factions
Well we dont have that now. The game is 300 years in the future, while i dont think we will have all those things cloning and semi sentient robots will probably exist by then. Alien wildlife probably exist now we just havent found it, IF we could zipp around like that im guessing we would find some life.
in a video game, it's not a stretch to say there could be radio stations when hails from other ships or the checkpoint performaing a contraband check are instantaneous.
No its not but its based on our universe with some libertys taken, especially the grav drive since they kinda have to have us travel between stars. I dont think the no radio stations are because of realism either but it would make sense if that was the case. I kinda think tehy skipped the radio because of the "feel" of space tbh. its supposed to be a bit empty and silent, having radio blaring would probably be a bit weird.

But the limitation remains the speed of light which a a kind of wall and despite to be incredibly fast, remains very slow comparing to the size of space :)
And yet, the ships can violate it. Granted, when I hear the term "Grav Drive" the bubble boy concept immediately comes to mind. Most of the very possibly hallucinogen induced adventures pondering up ways to circumvent light speed are founded on similar trickery. Can't accelerate an object to light speed? Well, fine then. We're gonna move the space. Suck it Physics.

Anyways... My intent wasn't to suggest they'd use a method to make radio waves propagate eclipse light speed. It's more applying whatever principle they use for the ships to the radio waves, or whatever they use for communication, in some manner. Obviously that'd depend on how our spacefaring heroes and villains in Starfield are cheating the speed barrier.

Beside, they could have implemented a kind of "radio system", but in a different way. Like a bunch soundtracks (or even play lists) that you can buy on each major city, musics you can play whenever and wherever you want on your ship or on feet while exploring. Realist, believable and convenient.
Yeah.... at least something like this would make sense if one cannot jam to some tunes while forcefully boarding an innocent merchant ship and taking all their shit. Upload the music to the ship. Play the music from the ship. Magic... Or technlogy... Potater, Potatoe....

After digging in I'm ready to say my piece.

TLDR; 8/10. A strong showing with some serious errors that prevent it from reaching greatness in general, it's great for me but it's got real issues and I won't give it a pass out of affection. I'll try to rapid fire the bad as I've gushed in detail in previous pages about the things I love in the this game, and there's plenty that I do love.

Loading screens. I fully understand star to star travel being handled this way, I can even accept it being preferable to actually waiting hours to traverse within a star system, but all the time? Every elevator, nearly every interior, nearly every cave, every ship, every dungeon, etc, etc. Enough already...

Abysmal open world NPCs. Worse than 2077 at launch by far, absolutely terrible and I don't even feel like going into the details. Lazy AF, they didn't even bother. They may be the worst ever, as in worse than GTA 1, period. Starefield indeed.

No unique weapons. Sadly Bethesda simply used reskins of other weapons for the unique guns this time around. Major disappointment and a step back from previous works. I would need to check, but they may not even come with unique traits. Bummer.

Can't strip enemies down to their jimmies. I always love that what you saw was what you got with Bethesda games, and it's a minor detail that added low effort (maybe not perhaps) immersion to the experience. A real step back for the studio imo.

I expected characters to have lacking expressions and indeed they do for the most part, so dealing with it wasn't something that got to me but it deserves mentioning. Companions are typically covered, and thankfully best girl Andreja was well taken care of to the point it's almost as if an entirely different studio was responsible for her. Otherwise... well, you know what to expect.

Performance is a head scratcher. inb4 "systems tho". Yes, I'm aware there's a lot going on here, but how taxing this game is on my 4090 when it looks like this? No, not by a long shot. Maybe if the game always looked as good as it does during conversations but it's not even approaching that by a country mile. It's a game that looks like it's 10 years old at many points but runs like one due for release in 10 years, much like Elden Ring. Sometimes the game looks brilliant, and other times it looks like real ass. Awful contact shadows.

Bugs - I haven't had a single crash, but the game isn't without bugs. Worst of which being a nasty bug that deleted my best gear when stored in the armory displays. Seems to be a bug with the Deimos 2x1 Armory specifically, otherwise most bugs are hilarious and/or immersion breaking at worst in my experience, and I mean very immersion breaking sometimes. You may have to negotiate a bug here and there, but nothing has sent me back to desktop thus far.

EDIT: Ship destruction is a bit disappointing. I would have expected at the very least some kind of height map decals on the ruined parts or burnt textures - but no. The ship explodes and pristine pieces fly apart like legos.

It's a Bethesda game, the biggest one yet and in the best state(stability wise) at launch, with a notable improvement to writing and character development over previous titles, and by a wide margin I might add. Several of the faction and companion quests exceed much of what Deus Ex has done(yes I said it) in terms of character depth, real moral dilemma, and philosophical implications I never expected from the likes of Bethesda. Well f*cking done! It's also a real treat to hear Beau Billingslea (Cowboy Bebop) once more, and brilliantly cast as a washed up scoundrel of a scientist.

If there's one thing in this game that sets a new bar it's the companions. Seriously, the companions and their stories are great - the commentary from them based on your actions, the setting, the conflict, the story beat, conversations with other characters, etc, etc is thorough, down to me going back and doing random early game quests long before I could have ever even potentially have a companion. They comment on damn near everything, and the relationship dialogue has been spot on.

An example would be approaching the climax of the game - my video game spouse made a comment about what could be and where things are going, I responded by asking if her comment was about the issue or 'about us' and her response was "can't it be about both, etc, etc?". I tell you right now, that is exactly the kind of thing a intimate lover, specifically a woman if we're being honest, would say in a similar position because I've seen arguments my brother has with his wife go down that road. Something of this nature carried on when
I decided to return from the unity. She was sitting in a co-pilot chair staring at the console. She continued staring at the screens, not looking toward me, and asked why I came back. She didn't look up once and spoke in a detached tone - She was happy to know I was back but didn't accept the reality entirely, believing that it was fleeting and sooner rather than later I would step through the unity again and be gone for good.
Absolutely authentic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom