Tyranny

+
Tyranny

[video=youtube;yc-WqIRNDKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc-WqIRNDKY[/video]

tyrannygame.com

Last edited:
HAH! And just a few days ago I was hoping for an RPG that lets me play as an evil guy.

The last cRPG in which I remember playing an evil guy was Neverwinter Nights Hordes of the Underdark. It was this dude ...

... and the epilogue basically said that my character proved to be more wicked than the demon he defeated.

:pride2:

... And as my evil consort, my character had the dark elf Nathyrra ...

Good times.

Here's some screenshots linked for y'alls convenience:

I think the artwork looks beautiful, dare I say better than Pillars of Eternity.

Here's hoping they do go all out on the 'evil' part and don't shy away from letting the PC do the most atrocious and vile things imaginable. Rape, pillage and burn, torture, eating babies, strangulating puppies, disrespecting the elderly, all that stuff.

What good is the premise of a world where evil won if you're just allowed to role-play the 'lawful evil' or 'neutral evil' character but not the completely insane, nihilistic misantroph or the extremely cruel, cold-blooded sadist?

More details on Tyranny are supposed to surface next week when the embargo on further coverage lifts, according to pcgamer.com.

Last edited:
I'm loving what I'm reading, I just hope they can pull it off. It's so boring playing the hero all the time and sometimes you just want to throw back your head and laugh maniacally. :evil:

Tyranny brings out Obsidian's dark side

It's good to be bad: first impressions of this devious RPG.

Tyranny isn't the story of a village boy/girl thrust into greatness, embarking on some seemingly hopeless quest to avenge a loved one, recently slain at the hands of The Bad Guy.

No, in Tyranny, The Bad Guy has already won. And you helped him.

"Not only were you on their side," says lead producer, Matthew Singh. "You were actually one of their leaders. You don't start out as your average farmboy that's picked up a rusty dagger for the first time, murdering rats in a sewer. You start this game with a position of authority."

Pillars of Eternity may have been the Baldur's Gate 3 we'd been waiting for, but I'm glad that Obsidian is ready to try something different here. I've saved the world plenty of times and I think I'd quite like to play a character who's version of 'evil' extends to a little more than pushing that fella out of a window in Mass Effect 2.

That being said, it's still a little unclear as to what your goal will be within the world of Tyranny. I was shown a brief demo in which the player arrives at a village to help maintain order, in the name of your boss, Kyros the Overlord, although I got the impression that this was at a fairly early point in the game's storyline.

This village didn't have a great time during the initial subjugation of the lands and is badly scarred by magical energies, which prevent the locals from doing useful things like growing crops to feed your armies. You're tasked with resolving this problem and we were shown a couple of ways in which that could play out.

Interestingly, the state of this village and how you choose to go about your task seems to be heavily linked to a series of decisions you make whilst creating your character.

"Depending on the choices you make there, you're actually shaping the world you're going to play in," explained Singh.

From what I was shown, this changes just how badly the magical energies in this area have ravaged the town and also your own relationship with the faction that controls it: a group known as the Scarlet Chorus.

So first time around, the player walks into the village and uses their authority to free the prisoner and then hand him over to their allies, the Scarlet Chorus, and most people think this is a good thing. Well, other than the local townspeople, who feel like you're continuing to subjugate them, but I imagine that comes with the job.

At this point, the developer loaded up a second save file, in which the player's decisions had already led to part of the village falling away into a large, magical ravine. Nice one, player. Aside from that, the setup is relatively familiar: there's still a prisoner to deal with and an angry mob of townsfolk. The Scarlet Chorus are also still in control of this region, but importantly, they're now considered a rival faction. You both work for Kyros, but you don't get on so well.

Anyway, this time the player walks into the village, immediately murders the prisoner and in doing so, triggers an encounter with the Scarlet Chorus. One thing I really like here, by the way, is that in both situations the player receives the relevant experience. You're not being unfairly rewarded because you want to play a character that avoids confrontation and I think that will lead to a much better role-playing game.

"Your character's going to grow their skills as they use them, both in combat, but also in our conversations," said Singh. "In a lot of RPG systems, you may feel that if you're not in combat, you're no longer growing your character, which might discourage you from making interesting choices. We didn't want that to happen here."

This idea that players shouldn't be encouraged to make choices that they don't find interesting seems to extend to the combat as well. You're not locked into a certain class type in Tyranny and I was promised that a warhammer-wielding, full-plate armour wearing, battle mage is absolutely a viable character build. But more than that, we were shown how party members can unlock 'companion combos', once your character has built up a relationship with them. These combos are especially powerful, with one example having the player throwing an archer buddy into the air, who then proceeds to rain arrows down on their opponents. These look like important abilities, which is why I was delighted to hear the developer explain that they can be unlocked either through friendship, or through hatred. Once again, we're promised, you won't be penalised for the role you want to play.

And that's exciting! I'm eager to experience the story of a character that's a little more complex. Morality shouldn't always come to down to black and white decisions, or for that matter, red or blue.

Tyranny sounds like it might understand that. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to shake the skepticism that comes with hearing about RPGs that promise ambitious branching narratives and true player agency, but then again, this is Obsidian we're talking about. This is a team that's proven they still understand why people fell in love with the roleplaying genre in the first place and now, I guess, it's time to see if they can keep it moving forwards.
eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-22-our-first-look-at-obsidians-next-rpg-tyranny

Tyranny is a shorter, tighter, stranger Pillars of Eternity as played by the bad guys

What to do as Obsidian once you’ve finished up your eagerly anticipated, massively funded, hugely successful fantasy RPG? Well, do it again, but turn it entirely on its head. Where Pillars of Eternity is dozens of hours long, Tyranny is planned as a leaner experience. Where Pillars had a standard selection of spell-casting, armour-wearing or dagger-wielding classes, Tyranny lets you build your own. While in the former you play as, at least in theory, a hero of the people come from humble origins, Tyranny casts you as the inquisitor to an evil overlord who has already conquered the land, a promotion you earned after serving as one of his generals. Everything you might assume about a high-fantasy RPG is changed - but under all that it’s still the same familiar combat engine, the same party-based questing, and the near-infinite paths of dialogue trees, optional engagements and decision making.

For more along those lines, here’s the best RPGs ever made.

The shift is most immediately obvious in the art style. While Tyranny has that same isometric angle and a familiar interface, both the way the world is conveyed as well as its actual setting are very different. It’s more stylised, pushing out of the semi-realistic medieval Europe that has served as fantasy’s home for so long, towards bigger weapons, flashier magic and an early Iron Age tech level.

“We thought [Pillars] was a really gorgeous game but we wanted to go in a different direction on this one,” explains lead producer Matthew Singh. “We took a stylised approach to both our characters and our environments and gave it more of a mediterranean feel, which we thought would give us a unique world. In addition, we wanted to get away from the settings that you're used to so instead we actually [put] it towards the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Iron Age. It was a very brutal time and it helps us tell the stories that we want to about human greed and corruption, so we thought it was a cool place to do it.”

In effect, this leaves you with an ostensibly similar-looking game, but with totally different details. Nowhere is this more true than in combat. With all concept of standard classes done away with and a sprinkling of more high-intensity action, almost nothing familiar remains beyond the basic setup of a few warriors viewed from above. You improve skills by using them and that feeds directly into levelling up your character, akin to the Elder Scrolls games. This can go in any and as many directions as you like, so you’re equally as capable of making that classic glass cannon, robe-wearing mage as you are a battle-hardened, shield-wielding cleric or something weirder.

“We've taken the core combat system [from] Pillars of Eternity and built on top of it in interesting ways,” explains Singh of this more advanced system. “We talked about how people really enjoyed building their relationships with their companions in our games and we wondered if we could figure out a way to bring that into combat. To do that we've introduced some new abilities that we're calling companion combos, these are some pretty devastating [moves] that you can get to either open combat in an effective way or change the tide of battle.

“They have you and one of your companions doing something together. You gain these abilities by building reputation, building your relationships with these companions and even if you have a relationship where your companion loves you or despises you, you get different abilities. [There’s] one called Death From Above, with this ability the player channels energy [and] punches the ground, launching their companion into the air and while they're in the air they have the opportunity to rain arrows from above.”

These combo abilities will exist between a huge variety of possible companions and all the different permutations of feeling. The example I saw did some fairly extreme damage, and they’re definitely pitching towards these being one-use per combat, rather than spammable skills. However, it’s not only relationships with individuals that will govern what skills you have access to. As part of the classless system Obsidian have built, factions will bestow skills and abilities as you improve or sacrifice reputation with them. In our demo, we’re introduced to a triplicate of opposed peoples - the townsfolk of Plainsgate, a conquered region that was once lush farmland, a regiment of the army called the Scarlet Chorus and the race of Beastmen that cohabit this area of the world.

It’s a complex series of relationships, and we see it play out in two vastly different ways. In the first, we’ve become good mates with the Scarlet Chorus. They like this incarnation of the Fatebinder - the in-universe name for the judge, jury and executioner role you take, who Singh likens to Judge Dredd - and want help in recruiting one of the Beastmen, improving the relationship between the two factions and continuing a quest chain focused on unlocking the magic of the land. The villagers, meanwhile, want to kill the Beastman for trespassing and generally not being a human.

There’s immediately a huge number of ways to solve this. We can try to explain to the townspeople why we need to take the Beastman. We can kill him for their favour and piss off our army mates. Our authority as an agent of Kyros, the aforementioned top nasty man, is unquestioned - they might not like us, become aggressive even, but they will do what we ask up until we actively attack them. In this version, we make the Scarlet Chorus very happy by freeing the Beastman, but taking the blame from the villagers ourselves. It makes the commoners even angrier at us, but doesn’t affect their relationship with the army. A (relatively) happy ending.

The scene is reset with a load. This time not only are our relationships different, but the land itself is totally altered. Due to some decision made in this save file, the same location of a dusty village is rent through with a massive crevasse of magic energy. This comes from one of Tyranny’s most interesting additions to the genre: when you create a character, you also create the world they inhabit and history they enacted. How brutal was Kyros’ army as it marched the land? What exactly were you in charge of? Singh puts it like this:

“As part of the character creation system we want you to decide how those events played out and depending on the choices you make there you're actually shaping the world that you're going to play in, you'll get a very different experience. We've made different choices through the conquest of the world that has actually heightened the magic here even further, so much so that the town of Plainsgate has actually been split in two. A giant ravine has cracked through the land, the earthquakes are more violent and parts of the village have fallen in, so by the decision we've made we have actually changed the world in a meaningful way.”

This also means the oh-so-friendly Scarlet Chorus no longer like us. This particular group are hostile but unprepared to fight, and still respect our position and power, meaning we can call their bluff on attacking us with a little intimidation, making them retreat. It wouldn’t be a modern, western RPG without a nice bit of chatting to dissuade combat, but Tyranny goes about it a little differently. If you manage to threaten, convince or otherwise dissuade opponents from active, killy combat, you’ll still get a collection of combat skill upgrades, as well as any ones from the social abilities you used to avoid.

Singh says that this is to avoid problems they’ve seen in other classless systems. “We want you to play the game the way you want, make the interesting decisions you find in this game and not feel penalized for it. [Otherwise], you may feel that if you're not in combat then you're no longer growing your character, which might discourage you from making interesting choices and we didn't want that.”

Once the Fatebinder arrives at the same imprisoned Beastman from before, the townspeople are still angry that he exists and the Scarlet Chorus still want to recruit him, but they also attack us immediately while the villagefolk scatter, a little braver than their comrades from before. Between the character combo mentioned earlier and a new magic system that allows for unique spell creation, it’s a one-sided affair. Despite a main character focused on sword and shield, our protagonist is still capable of unleashing a massive ball of lightning, custom-made to take out large groups.

In the end the Beastman dies, killed by our hand to help out a fourth faction we’re aligned with in this playthrough. Singh says that this means we’ll experience a whole different follow-up to this and many other areas of the game. This is part of why a single campaign might be a bit shorter than you would expect from an RPG in 2016. Instead, your run will likely be vastly different to mine, and your second as different again.

“Our testing team is certainly upset with us,” laughs Singh. “We've built this to be a very reactive world and we want it to be meaningful in that way, and if you want you can play through this game multiple times and start seeing different aspects of the world that you may not have before. We did want to focus on a game people could actually complete.”

The plan is to get Tyranny out the door before the end of 2016. The promise is a world where every decision is massive, and you won’t feel limited until you’ve explored it many times. It wants to be morally grey, casting you as at best an ex-bad guy and challenging you to make your own path. While it may not be 80 hours long, it’s just as ambitious - and promising the kind of multiple-paths and choose-your-own-adventure stuff we’ve been after for years. I hope they do go all in on the multiple routes and create a lean, entertaining RPG that lets you play how you like but wraps it all up in a manageable timeframe - shorter games aren’t better, but this sounds like something new and exciting in a world where there’s plenty for the time-rich to chew on.
pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-new-obsidian-game

Tyranny preview: Obsidian's branching bad guy RPG is made to play over and over

Freedom of choice

Last week Obsidian dangled the smallest scraps of a new project: Tyranny, a new isometric CRPG built in the Pillars of Eternity engine. A world where the battle between good and evil already took place, and evil won.

Pretty light on the details, eh? Luckily we got a half-hour demo of the project at GDC. The key takeaway: Tyranny might share the same engine as Pillars of Eternity, but that’s about all. This is a wild project.

You’re going to miss it all

Pillars of Eternity was built in the vein of the old Infinity Engine games—Baldur’s Gate and its sequel, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, et cetera. Loooooooooong RPGs, with some amount of player freedom within the confines of a fairly rigid plot.

Tyranny is not that. Talking to Obsidian, it sounds like Tyranny is actually more like...Alpha Protocol? Yes, the flawed-but-sort-of-brilliant third-person shooter Obsidian released in 2010. Bet you didn’t expect that to be relevant to an isometric CRPG.

Alpha Protocol was a bold experiment in branching storylines, though. Small details, changed by an errant word here, an incidental choice there. It’s this spirit which makes its way into Tyranny. Our demo focused on one little area: The village of Plainsgate. Or is it Halfgate?

As with most RPGs, the first thing you do in Tyranny is create your character. This isn’t some farmer-in-rags though, or an escaped prisoner. In Tyranny, you play as a “Fatebinder,” which Obsidian’s Brian Heins described to us as “kind of like Judge Dredd.” Said Heins, “You get to bring your brand of justice to the people you meet and you have the full weight of armies backing that authority. People don’t mess with you unless they think they can stand against you.”

But as part of creating your Fatebinder, you’re asked to make certain decisions which set the state of the world—events that occurred during the aforementioned war between good and evil. Thus the Plainsgate/Halfgate conundrum.

We played the same small section of the game through twice. In one, the village of Plainsgate was occupied by foreign armies, dusty but resplendent with its Bronze Age architecture. The various crises central to Tyranny’s plot had taken a toll on Plainsgate, but it looked like a pleasant-enough place. Your typical Infinity Engine city, really.

Flip to a different saved state, and Plainsgate became a very different place. It was the same town except, oh yeah, a massive chasm ran through the middle of the town and took half the buildings with it. Halfgate.

Again, according to Obsidian this is because of a choice made during character creation. Literally half of the town, and presumably some of the game’s quests, were removed.

Now, maybe Obsidian simply showed us the biggest, flashiest example in the game and everything else will pale in comparison. But Plainsgate/Halfgate is already more reactive than anything in Pillars of Eternity, and it seems like modularity is key to the whole experience here.

Factions, for instance. Factions in Pillars of Eternity don’t really do much. Being aligned with the Crucible Knights or The Dozens can be advantageous for certain quests, but doesn’t really change the way you play.

“Reputation in Tyranny is not just about whether a faction likes or hates you,” says Heins. “It also changes what abilities you have as a character. Sometimes, choosing to piss someone off will work out better for you in the long run than keeping them as a friend.”

This dovetails with Tyranny’s classless leveling system—more commonly known as “That system in the Elder Scrolls games.” Use a skill—be it sword fighting or talking to others or what have you—and you get better in it.

Every system demoed to us seemed designed for a game you replay—not just once but multiple times. And if this were a Pillars-sized, forty-to-sixty hour RPG I’d say that was crazy. Who has time for that?

But it’s not. Breaking with tradition once more, Obsidian says Tyranny is probably somewhere under or around twenty hours. In other words: It’s Alpha Protocol sized. Something you’re actually likely to replay.

Listen, I loved Pillars of Eternity. I had a great time with it, and it brought back fond memories of playing Baldur’s Gate fifteen years prior. Hell, it made its way onto our Game of the Year list for 2015.

Tyranny seems a great deal more experimental though, and it has me fascinated. Now that we’ve played the obligatory Infinity Engine throwback game, I’m excited to see Obsidian using its isometric tech for something wholly unique. Something that’s not constrained by prior notions about “what the interface should look like” or “what arc the player should follow.”

Oh, and I’m totally opting for Halfgate. Sure, I might miss out on some quests, but the village is amazing with a hole ripped through the center. Look for Tyranny at the end of 2016—barring the usual Obsidian delays, of course.
pcworld.com/article/3046896/software/tyranny-preview-obsidians-branching-bad-guy-rpg-is-made-to-play-over-and-over

---------- Updated at 02:43 PM ----------

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Obsidians new baby, i´m really looking forward to it and hope it does well...because a Pillars of Eternity 2 wouldn´t hurt either.

In all honesty, i´m immensely happy that we saw the return of isometric RPGs ^.^

[...]In our quest for more juicy Tyranny details, we’ve roped game director Brian Heins into giving us the skinny on the titular tyrant, Kyros, the player-controlled Fatebinder, and what it means to be an Iron Age Judge Dredd.

Players will jump into the probably expensive boots of a Fatebinder, a lackey of the seemingly immortal leader of a globe-spanning empire, Kyros. Even god-like rulers need a helping hand from time to time.

“Kyros’ empire is a large, sprawling one that covers the known world,” Heins explains. “One person can’t directly control and micromanage everyone, so Kyros has lieutenants called Archons, people who are very powerful, and one of those Archons is your boss, who created the Fatebinders to resolve disputes between the different Archons and the groups that report to them: the armies, the mage guilds and the bureaucrats who run the empire.”

So instead of being an aimless adventurer, you’ll be an employee of the ruler of the known world, solving disputes and dishing out justice, more Judge Dredd than Bilbo Baggins. And this important role will be reflected in the quests.

“We want the quests to reflect your status in the world,” Heins says. “You’re not the one being sent to get the cat out of the tree, you’re the one that has to decide whether an entire population has to be relocated.”

And that means, thankfully, that the fetch and kill quests that fill up so many other RPGs won’t be present in Tyranny. Instead, the Fatebinder will be mediating disputes and enforcing Kyros’ will in the fringe of his empire, the last part of the world to be swallowed up by the tyrant. And being in the most distant part of the empire will make things difficult. While Kyros has ostensibly ended war and conflict by uniting the world, the region that Tyranny takes place in is still adapting to this new regime. While some welcome the structure it provides, the fact that it’s demolishing native culture and subjugating people is a bit of a sticking point for others.

While the Fatebinder may choose their own path when it comes to doing their job, and that can even involve going against Kyros’ rules, the enigmatic overlord is actually surprisingly pragmatic. Certainly his actions can be deemed cruel, but Obsidian is trying to avoid binary morality.

“Kyros cares about the law and everyone conforming to the laws and rules he’s established. Each person has a certain level of autonomy. As long as they don’t try to rebel against Kyros or try to flout the law in any way… Kyros doesn’t really all that much about whether people individually are happy or sad, it’s more about the collective world being improved by Kyros’ law.

“There’s not much room for different opinions and voices in that, so people who don’t agree are generally unhappy, but one of the things that Fatebinders can do is they can resolve these problems and add to some level of contentment to the world while still maintaining Kyros’ law. That’s absolutely a possibility.“

While players will be free to try and make people’s lives better, they can also take on the mantle of villain. It’s not much of a leap, given that the Fatebinder has already been complicit in the conquest of the known world, a conquest that has ravaged many towns and states. But the nature of evil in Tyranny is not easily defined.

In countless RPGs, playing a villain means being an arsehole. It means extorting NPCs, murdering innocents and generally being very rude to everyone. It’s a sort of aimless evil, being bad for the sake of it. It’s possible to be a nasty creep like that in Tyranny, as well, but there’s also the potential for more nuanced villainy.

“There’s that whole notion of the ends justifying the means,” notes Heins. “It’s for the greater good, that lie people tell themselves that can justify any action. Maybe you’re doing horrific things, but it’s all for some greater good. That’s what we’re trying to do when we give players choices: they’re not cartoony black and white, good and evil.”

So players might choose to kill someone in an effort to solve a problem or dispute, and on the surface, a murder doesn’t sounds exactly noble or good – but what if it’s the quickest way to fix the problem? Or the best way to stop other people from suffering? Intention and context are important.

Of course, if you take the murderous or most brutal route all the time, then it doesn’t matter if you think you’re noble, the world is going to react to your decisions. And it’s not just for the big things, either. Act like a dick to a soldier, and his commanding officer might show up later and make your life difficult. And throughout, companions will have their own opinions about how their boss does their job.

They’ll interject in the middle of conversations, letting you know if they think you’re making a mess of things or being a terrible human being, so you’ll constantly be building this relationship with them, both positive and negative, which will impact gameplay and the narrative, as it unlocks special friend and frenemy combos as explained during the GDC demo. They’re not static, though. Characters joining the Fatebinder will have specific combat roles and particular world views, but both of those things can be changed. The former through gear and skill customisation, and the latter through conversation and manipulation.

That last part is especially exciting. I’ve long asserted that Obsidian’s Knights of the Old Republic II contains some of the best and most disturbing interactions with companions in any RPG because, if you decide to dabble in the Dark Side, you can mold even otherwise good characters into Dark Jedi, honing in on their vulnerabilities and using them to recreate them in your own image. You won’t be turning any companions into followers of the Sith philosophy in Tyranny, but it will be possible to manipulate them.

“We want to have moments where you can make choices that can change how your companions view the world, and do great things that build them up or tear them down,” Heins explains. Tearing them down sounds delightfully ominous.

Ultimately, the key to understanding the morality of the world, specifically in regards to Kyros, his Archons, and their Fatebinders, is all in the name: Tyranny. Despite the negative connotations of the word, which conjures up images of military dictatorships and cruel, authoritarian regimes, a tyrant is just a supreme ruler, not necessarily an evil ruler. And thus Tyranny seems to promise an exploration of dominance and control rather than abstractions like evil. And whether you decide to go down the path of hero or villain, you’ll still be put in a position where you need to exert the authority given to you by a tyrant to repair or dominate the world. How you’ll use the tools at your disposal, however, will be up to you.
pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-and-the-nature-of-evil-everyone-s-the-hero-of-their-own-story

Pillars of Eternity was released on GoG, so you would think that Tyranny would be as well.

Pillars is owned by Obsidian. Tyranny is owned by Paradox, and they have bad track record of GOG releases. Many of their recent games are Steam exclusives.

Pillars is owned by Obsidian. Tyranny is owned by Paradox, and they have bad track record of GOG releases. Many of their recent games are Steam exclusives.

Huh, that's surprising and slightly disappointing. So even though Obsidian is developing the game and created the IP, Paradox owns it? I could see reaching out to a third party for a little bit of support, kind of like CDPR did with WB Games, but selling the IP to them outright seems like a bad decision.

On an unrelated note, I was reading about Paradox after your post, and I guess they bought the rights to the Vampire Masquerade franchise in 2015? I wonder if that means we can expect a new Bloodlines game in the future.

selling the IP to them outright seems like a bad decision.

That's what publishers do when they fund development, and I agree, it's not a good thing for developers to lose creative control. I'm not sure though if it's Obsidian asked Paradox to fund it, or Paradox asked Obsidian to develop it. Either way, I hope Obsidian will stick to crowdfunding for their future games.

---------- Updated at 01:49 PM ----------

On an unrelated note, I was reading about Paradox after your post, and I guess they bought the rights to the Vampire Masquerade franchise in 2015? I wonder if that means we can expect a new Bloodlines game in the future.

Paradox bought White Wolf Publishing which created World Of Darkness settings. I hope there will be new Vampire the Masquerade game indeed, but again I have the same concern. With Paradox, Steam only release should be suspected. And that would be highly annoying. I'd care about VtM game much more than about Tyranny.

From my interaction with Paradox through their forums - they aren't pleasant to deal with. More in the style of legacy ones like EA and the rest.

Last edited:
In case of Tyranny it could be a bit different though, since it's a single-player-only cRPG.
And - correct me if I'm wrong - the majority, if not all of the Paradox-published titles that aren't on gog.com are those with the main focus on the multi-player part or those that rely on Steam's Workshop feature for using modifications (like Cities: Skylines, I think).

Plus - Tyranny, very much like PoE is a throwback to ye olde classic isometric cRPGs such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc. and those do fairly well on gog.com, even right now with the Enhanced Editions of BG I & II + ID I and Siege of Dragonspear in the 'popular' sales category. And I think I'm not going out on a limb if I'd assume that at least 100,000 (if not more) of the reported 600,000 copies sold of PoE (+TWM I & II) are on display in gog.com libraries.

In short, Paradox would be incredibly stupid to not sell Tyranny through gog.com as well.

From my interaction with Paradox through their forums - they aren't pleasant to deal with. More in the style of legacy ones like EA and the rest.
Actually, the Paradox developers are very active on their forums. Maybe not for Tyranny, but for games developed by Paradox they generally post several times per week.

Perfect example. Recently a fan requested a feature for Stellaris on their forums, and one of the devs commented to say he'd add it in. Two weeks later, this popped up on Twitter (same dev).
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/717774037036965889[/tweet]

Last edited:
Top Bottom