Vulkan - new generation cross platform graphics and GPGPU computing API

+
Nvidia's update on Vulkan: https://developer.nvidia.com/engaging-voyage-vulkan

---------- Updated at 02:13 PM ----------

And another presentation from AMD for GDC 2015: Vulkan Fast Paths.

This session presents optimized methods to use Vulkan, by showing how those methods map to GCN hardware. Topics including binding model, memory management, command buffer generation, synchronization and more. Attendees will leave with a solid intuition on how to best approach using Vulkan to solve their problems, and get the most out of the hardware.

---------- Updated at 02:18 PM ----------

If anyone is going there, please check if there will be any developers from CDPR present.

Vulkan isn't even finalized, and already Nvidia is beginning to bend and circumvent the specification like they did with OpenGL.

Yeah, that blog post from Nvidia is weird in a few ways. But the most annoying one is this:
VIDIA believes strongly that Vulkan supplements OpenGL, and that both APIs have their own strengths.
It was primarily Nvidia who made OpenGL into a huge mess of non standard vendor specific "optimizations", when drivers cheat and change standard behavior to benefit certain titles. Vulkan can scrape all that, leveling the field for all competitors, and saying that it supplements OpenGL is disingenuous for Nvidia. OpenGL should be relegated to legacy applications only, which can't switch to Vulkan. It's the only way to get rid of this incompatibility and standards non conformance mess going forward.

Yeah, that blog post from Nvidia is weird in a few ways. But the most annoying one is this:

It was primarily Nvidia who made OpenGL into a huge mess of non standard vendor specific "optimizations", when drivers cheat and change standard behavior to benefit certain titles. Vulkan can scrape all that, leveling the field for all competitors, and saying that it supplements OpenGL is disingenuous for Nvidia. OpenGL should be relegated to legacy applications only, which can't switch to Vulkan. It's the only way to get rid of this incompatibility and standards non conformance mess going forward.

Exactly.

@sv3672: Does it mean they have access to Vulkan spec, or they simply plan to use it once it will be released? I wonder if Vulkan delay is the reason why TW3 Linux version didn't surface yet. It would be great if CDPR indeed planned to use Vulkan for it all along.

It is said here that "Talos will support Vulkan on Launch", since the game was already released in late 2014, I guess it can only mean the launch of Vulkan, which indeed suggests that developers have access to the spec, and are waiting for it to be officially released.

I wonder if Vulkan delay is the reason why TW3 Linux version didn't surface yet. It would be great if CDPR indeed planned to use Vulkan for it all along.

I would think so, actually. It's a new engine, so they probably want to use the latest version of the open-source API for porting to Linux. It's pretty much given that they are going to add it to the engine anyway, so why not wait for it to launch before spending resources on an older version? :)

I would think so, actually. It's a new engine, so they probably want to use the latest version of the open-source API for porting to Linux. It's pretty much given that they are going to add it to the engine anyway, so why not wait for it to launch before spending resources on an older version? :)

Indeed. They are obviously going to add it to the engine eventually, either for CP 2077 or general engine licensing to others. It's just a guess, but I think they tied Linux release to enhanced edition of TW3. I.e. edition with reworked REDengine using new generation APIs. And Vulkan release is a blocker for it. So together with the Linux version there might be EE release for other platforms too. The annoying part is their complete silence about their work and progress an further plans.

Last edited:
Apologies for going off topic in the previous thread. :eredinfacepalm:

Some developers had access to the spec for a long time already, so they could get ready in advance. So we'll see Vulkan based titles launched pretty soon. No idea though if CDPR were in that list or not. If they were, then may be TW3 Vulkan update is pretty close too.

I didn't know that. I definitely hope that CDPR is one of those companies. They're usually on the ball with making use of new tech, so I hope this is something that we get in a update, or with B&W later in the year

March is going to be an interesting time. I'm looking forward to seeing some Vulkan and DX12 benchmarks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom