What if Cyberpunk 2077 takes the Destiny/Anthem route?

+
What if Cyberpunk 2077 takes the Destiny/Anthem route?

What if its a "console MMO"/"semi MMO" like Destiny or Anthem? Industry is going towards games as services approach. Is this something we are interested in?

I'm fairly certain it won't but if it did, it it would save me money. I'm already on the fence on whether the game will be in the alley of my interest (mechanically), and going for some pseudo-MMO thing would kill it for me.

Would be a no buy for me too.

CD Projekt Red's close ties to GoG would thankfully rule out Cyberpunk2077 taking the (full) "games as a service"-route anyway, as well.

Cyberpunk 2077's demographic is probably the same as the Witcher, it is risky to disappoint this demographic by making something completely different in terms of game genre. If this was the case, they at least would have gave us a hint that it'd be a MMO to avoid this kind of disappointment.

But a good counter argument is that CDPR could really be doing a Cyberpunk 2077 MMO style game, but didn't give us any hint simply because they don't want to make some of the fans lose interest in their game. In this scenario they want to hold this feelling of interest until the last moment when they finally show the product as it is. In other words, it's easier for a gaming community to judge a product by knowing its early concept than by looking a the final product.

The last MMO I played for a prolonged period of time was CoX... CoH+CoV... as in City of Heroes and City of Villains... and I mostly stopped playing CoX back in early 2008 I think (after having played it for almost every single day since the summer of 2005), and then was on and of for the next year to year and a half... that was THE mmo for me. I did also like Final Fantasy XI, but due to CoX I played little FFXI... I did also play Guild Wars at the time, but pretty rarelly, and after the first 3 months or so only when a friend asked me to.

But after that I had played my self tired on mmo's... I did try a few more mmo's during the end (Age of Conan for example I played for a months after it came out... and I took part in the Warhammer Age of Reckoning beta during the last 8-9 months befor it was released... maybe some other mmos to after that).

But that was essentually it, so since about 2010 or so I had compleatly stopped playing mmo's.

So if CP2077 ended up being an mmo, there is a big chance that I might never play it. Of course... I might end up trying it anyway... and it could end up being the replace ment for CoX for me... but I doubt it. And if the game ended up being multiplayer only, as in that you have to play with others to do things in the game, then that would be a 100% chance of a "No" from me... because the only type of mmo I feel I can accept are the types of mmo's that you can essentually play as a singleplayer by going solo (even though I was part of 3 guilds in CoX, I still spent something like 70-80+% of my time playing solo).

I wish more for single player experience which is mix of Witcher 3 Vampire Bloodlines and Deus Ex. Maybe with a bit better hacking and vehicle driving to bring it to next level.
There is demand for solo crpg with primary focus on story, questing, and roleplaying.

However... If you have IP you can do many games out of it. Technobike racing on nighstreets in the light of neons, mobile hacking minigame, economical game where you are evil; corps, and also Warframelike game in Cyberpunk. It will not be crpg! But it could be ok game. To some degree it is more fair to make two games with different premise, than one tries both but is neither.

On the other side: co-op shooter is popular genre and is easy to get into for many, but also everyone is making own. Warframe, Destiny, Division, Zombiegame 2018, Anthem? crpg seems a bit empty now, even more if we separete isometric tactical crpg (Pillars, Divinity)

Last edited:
I would asume that even though part of the Witcher crowd would be CP2077's demographic due to it being a CDPR game... I would think that the majority of the CP2077 demographics would be people interested in sci-fi in general, and people who liked games like Mass Effect, and Deus Ex (old as new), and System Shock, etc.

There are after all a lot of people who do not like fantasy, so as such would never have played Witcher at all.

I doubt that. CD Projekt Red has set many many times that their goal is to do the best (singleplayer) storydriven games they can. Of course they'll add (optional) multiplayer in games when they can and where it fits but singleplayer games are the focus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom