Kanik: "It's about telling story via what happens, not cutscenes or other features"

+
Lisbeth_Salander;n10384622 said:
What do you guys think about this? Innovation may be scary to some, but in my opinion it's what the gaming industry needs.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk

I like it. I just hope they can stay true to it. When it comes to "holding people accountable for their words and actions." trying to account for a myriad of implications and possible plot twists and interpretations would be, at best, a daunting task.

RLKing1969;n10384702 said:
I like it. I just hope they can stay true to it. When it comes to "holding people accountable for their words and actions." trying to account for a myriad of implications and possible plot twists and interpretations would be, at best, a daunting task.
Very.
But oh so worthwhile if they can manage it.

They need the cutscenes imo. They were clearly a huge priority in TW3 given their quality, and they helped with the story telling. Without the proper cinematic direction, the dialog will lose impact.

Many things could change since then. There is possibility that most of these 2012-2013 things after prototypes and testing were thrown into the trash, revisioned or something. We should wait for official reveal, its coming sooner than later.

I'm excited. I think if they are still using this idea, it could be pretty new and interesting. No need to stick strictly to what's always been done just because it's comfortable.

Kuboniusz;n10385432 said:
I remember an interview with good old Jose at E3 2014 where he mentioned an innovative, dynamic dialogue system. Could not be in the game anymore but it’s another lead.
EDIT. Found it, it was gamescom 2014 not E3
https://youtu.be/N3yKFqOfDdI
Starts speaking about the prototypes around 16:20

the question is: what the hell is this new system?

I'm so unimaginative, I can't even fathom what they have planned, but I will say this:

CDPR has been brainstorming this game for a looooong time. This game is particularly interesting because what they are doing right now is trying to establish a new brand, an IP that will be with us for years to come. So the time to introduce new things is now, since for millions of people, this will be their first introduction into the Cyberpunk universe.

So it could be anything, expect to be surprised.

Meccanical;n10388082 said:
So it could be anything, expect to be surprised.

I’m not particularly keen to be that.... I’ve seen big expectations through big implications go sour in a heartbeat once things have started to be shown off.

The more I’ve read what people think and expect from this game (in light of what’s been said of it all those years ago), the more reserved and wary I’ve become of what the end product will be like.

I’ll not cheer until I see something concrete to cheer for, nor will I expect surprises as a rule. Been burned by stuff like this too many times.

Last edited:
Hey,
what do you think that this dialogue system should be about;
and how should it differ from cinematic one-liners ?

How should it be controlled, if it is "while-playing dialogue" and player needs to control his character ?

What it would be "about" in my mind should be expression and interaction. Dialog and also beyond it (NO, not farting or acting out like in Fable).

I could guess... or not guess, hope for a contextualized "living" UI that allows various interactions and expressions (via key words or images) with the targeted NPC (all kinds of NPC's, the random pedestrians with no set dialog included), that would spread out to offer more indepth options when those are due/possible.

call you tell most of the story elements just by changing the environment and characters reacting, talking while you play etc? Half-Life could.
how much/what can you translate into gameplay from story? more the better?

For gameplay definitely, but for dialogue I would actually like to see my characters lips speak the lines. Facial animations and reactions are so important in conveying emotion and propelling a story. Then again if it is like Squadron 42 or Observer with a voiced protagonist I wont complain.

Top Bottom