CP2077 Style: What can we expect?

+
CP2077 Style: What can we expect?

I have done this before but this time I would like to link images to explain this more fully. Sard, feel free to merge this with an old topic if you think it should.

City:

Blade Runner: Dense populace, grimy and filthy, videoboards, old facades, rainy, lots and lots of neon, heavy Asian influence

Dredd: Massive scale, long and windy highways, crime and gang violence everywhere, oppressive police system, lots of concrete

Altered Carbon: Holograms, Modern take on classic Cyberpunk aesthetic

People/Fashion:

80s Punk- Weird and wonderful, tribal and wild

Glam Rock: Style over Substance, fake yet enticing at the same time, hedonistic and proud of it

Yuppies/New Wave: Big and powerful, well dressed, strongly consumerist, corrupt

Robocop/Judge Dredd: Cool and practical helmets, body armor, shoulder pads, imposing and intimidating

Take note that these are very 80s but a modernization while retaining the same feel and a fairly close aesthetic could work.

Combat:

John Woo: Fast, acrobatic and intense. Highly stylized.

Old School American Action films: Big muscles, big guns, lots of quips, sense of humor

No need for modernization on this one.

That is all I can think of at the moment. This is what I hope CP2077 will try to resemble even faintly. If anybody wants to add anything, by all means.....do it :)

I'd say no to all of those styles and fashions you picked.. I think its going to be different than all of that. As for the city I think its gonna be a mix of everything you showed.

Yeah, none of the outfit styles strike me as Cyberpunk. Not Pondsmith's Cyberpunk, anyway.

And, the first city image looks pretty much exactly like a modern city, just taller. Second one seems more appropriate for the setting.

I'm expecting the style to look like what we've seen in images so far, and probably a bit of influence from the PnP's outfits, too.

I really hope we see some 80's punk and scifi aesthetics among the assumed modern look; if only as a nod and a throwback.... and to spice things up because modern (inspired) scifi looks... pretty bland and uninventive.

This'll be one (of many) areas CDPR can break the mold. Most single-player video games give you at best a couple choices as to character clothing, whereas many MMOs give more options. Even tho CP2077 isn't going to be an MMO they really should allow for significant amounts of character customization when it comes to fashion. Also, in the PnP certain clothing items give a boost to your social stats because they're "high fashion". But OF COURSE there's the problem of armor ... most characters wear a lot of it and that should be reflected in how they look, it's not exactly trendy to show up for a meeting looking like a Bomb Disposal team member.

Altered Carbon is one of the prettier and more convincing Cyberpunk setting I've seen, but at this point it's also pretty cliche. I'm not sure which direction they can take to make it stand out from the likes of Blade Runner and all its clones. But I think it's important that they do. Maybe Akira is closer to what we need:

Garrison72;n10537702 said:
Altered Carbon is one of the prettier and more convincing Cyberpunk setting I've seen, but at this point it's also pretty cliche. I'm not sure which direction they can take to make it stand out from the likes of Blade Runner and all its clones. But I think it's important that they do. Maybe Akira is closer to what we need:

Looks good to me

Visually: Blade Runner & Altered Carbon are good examples. Silversun Strip in ME3 and several of the cities in Deus Ex series are good examples too. I think the look of cyberpunk (with a small c) builds a really strong milieu to begin with and doesn't need to be reinvented. I always thought the extended scenes in Avatar that featured the city on earth had a cool look.

I think the styles of individuals should be highly varied based on a number of social criteria. Many different looks would be greatly appreciated. I would also love it if style affected reputation with NPCs. Dressed like a corporate in a Rockerboy club? Your persuasion attempts just got a lot harder.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10537282 said:
Yeah, none of the outfit styles strike me as Cyberpunk. Not Pondsmith's Cyberpunk, anyway.

And, the first city image looks pretty much exactly like a modern city, just taller. Second one seems more appropriate for the setting.

I'm expecting the style to look like what we've seen in images so far, and probably a bit of influence from the PnP's outfits, too.

I would love those retro PnP outfits in a more modernized form since they were half the fun of reading the sourcebooks. The images I posted were referring to the PnP style which I noticed was very glam/punk/new wave/yuppie influenced. I kind of botched that post since I probably should have mentioned that soz

kofeiiniturpa;n10537412 said:
I really hope we see some 80's punk and scifi aesthetics among the assumed modern look; if only as a nod and a throwback.... and to spice things up because modern (inspired) scifi looks... pretty bland and uninventive.

I do too but not too retro. Maybe there should be a Hipster-esque subculture in Night City that fetishises 2020 fashion. I feel that would be perfect. If not, maybe CDPR will throw in a post release patch that brings in 2020 fashion and cybernetics. But then again if we are able to make mods for the game, we can do it ourselves. You had better be writing this down CDPR.

Garrison72;n10537702 said:

Akira would be perfect, laser lights and all. I do think though that Cyberpunk has a very definitive look that most people identify with the genre. Blade Runner completely defined the Cyberpunk look. Mike Pondsmith has stressed many times that "Cyberpunk is Blade Runner" and that rain, neon, videoboards etc are crucial since all good Cyberpunk is visually influenced by Film Noir and goes back to Blade Runner and Neuromancer. To him the aesthetic is just as important as the themes. So I very much feel we will be getting a modern 80s influenced Cyberpunk game that harkens back to Gibson, Blade Runner and the 2020 PnP. I really don't think CP2077 will be a Post Cyberpunk game. But that is my observation. I may be wrong.

I think a big thing about Cyberpunk is the oppressive feeling at lower levels of the city. Movies like Akira are great, but the thing is, in a lot of "cyberpunk" mediums, the buildings are just tall and brightly lit. That's about it.

In the 2077 trailer, and in Blade runner, you see overhangs and buildings being bridged to create a true feeling of city "levels" (or class - poor, medium, rich, etc.). With all of these obstructions, street level feels like, well, street level. You feel like you're in the gutter. It's dark, it's dangerous. I want that feeling.

Tall buildings are nothing. Those exist in real life. Just making modern buildings taller does not = cyberpunk or, more importantly, Cyberpunk. Not to me.

Example: Kowloon Walled City - a real place some years ago. This is more cyberpunk than anything I saw in Akira, to me. Just add a bit of neon, bigger, cyberpunk-themed buildings and voila. Of course, the alleyways could be taller, as well - they don't need to be just a few feet high.

If you want some more really interesting pictures of the city, this article has a lot: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lled-City.html

Snowflakez;n10542972 said:
In the 2077 trailer, and in Blade runner, you see overhangs and buildings being bridged to create a true feeling of city "levels" (or class - poor, medium, rich, etc.). With all of these obstructions, street level feels like, well, street level. You feel like you're in the gutter. It's dark, it's dangerous. I want that feeling.
Hear ! Hear !
It's not "just" about walking the pavement, it's about the atmosphere those obstructions create, where you're looking up thru obstacles that make it seem as if there's something above you that you can see but can't reach ... well ... F You ... I can reach them !

Based on what wallpapers are available, it's safe to say an old school punk style will be present, which is always good. Examples (not sure if official, from Google):

That being said, one thing's caught my eye and makes me very hopeful. Notice on the picture below, the woman on the window poster:

The hair style and wardrobe have uncanny outrageous 80s style, so it gives room to hope we'll see cool stuff like:

I don't think the game director would go there, but a real failure to me would be a clean, pristine white futuristic look, where everything is made of glass, marble and silk.

swordsandroses;n10549842 said:
I don't think the game director would go there, but a real failure to me would be a clean, pristine white futuristic look, where everything is made of glass, marble and silk.

Yeeeahhh...That's not going to happen. There's like a 0.9% chance of it.

The trailer and images we've seen so far (yes, the images you showed -- with the exception of the first one, as I'm not sure about it -- are official) all point to a darker, grittier feeling. No clean, pristine streets, at least not in certain areas. I'm sure there will be clean, sterile-like areas (maybe a very wealthy block of highrises, or the interior of a high-end hospital), but they will likely not dominate the game.

Snowflakez;n10552272 said:
Yeeeahhh...That's not going to happen. There's like a 0.9% chance of it.

The trailer and images we've seen so far (yes, the images you showed -- with the exception of the first one, as I'm not sure about it -- are official) all point to a darker, grittier feeling. No clean, pristine streets, at least not in certain areas. I'm sure there will be clean, sterile-like areas (maybe a very wealthy block of highrises, or the interior of a high-end hospital), but they will likely not dominate the game.

Actually, You may well see such styles of architecture or similiar in the High-Corp areas of the city owned by the owners of the Corporations themselves because Corps will always need to show off their wealth somehow. Though It would also be in account of how high/how far into the Corp Zone you go, outer/lower will be clean and all but will look like something of a modern medium luxury style buildings and as you go up or in, the styles get grander...maybe. Though it will depend on how the corp zones were rebuilt after the 4th Corp War. In Cyberpunk and in Night City, the Rule of Cool is the way of life.

No Title

The Ghost in the Shell anime from 1989 was in my opinion an amazing example of a Cyberpunk world.

Attachments

• photo198972.jpg
    photo198972.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 125
  • photo198982.jpg
    photo198982.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 193
  • photo198992.jpg
    photo198992.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 153
  • photo199002.jpg
    photo199002.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 99
  • photo199012.jpg
    photo199012.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 294
walkingdarkly;n10554222 said:
Actually, You may well see such styles of architecture or similiar in the High-Corp areas of the city owned by the owners of the Corporations themselves because Corps will always need to show off their wealth somehow. Though It would also be in account of how high/how far into the Corp Zone you go, outer/lower will be clean and all but will look like something of a modern medium luxury style buildings and as you go up or in, the styles get grander...maybe. Though it will depend on how the corp zones were rebuilt after the 4th Corp War. In Cyberpunk and in Night City, the Rule of Cool is the way of life.

Yup, pretty much what I said. I do really like the concept of style getting fancier as you go up, though.. that's a neat idea. I'm on board with that.

On the other hand, a really stark contrast, sort of to say "KEEP OUT, this is our fancy territory, and this is the border" might also be interesting, as long as it made sense in the context of the game's world.

Snowflakez;n10554742 said:
Yup, pretty much what I said. I do really like the concept of style getting fancier as you go up, though.. that's a neat idea. I'm on board with that.

On the other hand, a really stark contrast, sort of to say "KEEP OUT, this is our fancy territory, and this is the border" might also be interesting, as long as it made sense in the context of the game's world.

This what has me pondering about 2077 because back in the 4th Corp war during the 2030s, a tactical nuke was set off in the middle of Night City. So how Mike and CDPR set about restructuring Night City itself will be very interesting. There are maps of Night City but they're pre-war maps. Will there be Corp-Towers like I described or will it be something like a city within a city?

Also on Clothing style from earlier posts, there's tons of styles that were made back in Cyberpunk 2020, more than what we have in our own world. Though, that is if you take into account the four Chrome Book source books that hold the majority of the styles, weapons, vehicles and tools cyberpunks would and did use in Night City. Heck, the basic Leather jacket is still around in 2020, as well as the basic business suit with beige overcoat. So hopefully while there will be what some would say is "cyberpunk" styles, there will also be styles that have never changed even in our own world.

Top Bottom