Are we over-hyping the game?

+
Yes thank you. These aren't even in the same genre, built entirely different.

Well, from what I saw from the C2077 demo, the interactive scene system and all, it looked more like Detroit than TW3, which is a great thing.

Maybe you are right and I should "just" expect "The Witcher 2077", but to think it could be better is thrilling, even if, yes, I may be burned again.

Guest 4149880

Well, from what I saw from the C2077 demo, the interactive scene system and all, it looked more like Detroit than TW3, which is a great thing.

Maybe you are right and I should "just" expect "The Witcher 2077", but to think it could be better is thrilling, even if, yes, I may be burned again.

I think 2077 will certainly expand on the dialog options quite a lot but given its still a free form action rpg, it has to be a bit more lenient on how many actual paths you can take. One branching path alone could brand multiple times.

In comparison, Detroit is almost entirely scripted so your more or less just picking which scene you want to see.

In the end 2077 is merging the narrative seamlessly into free flowing gameplay without cutscenes. Yes there are still scripted moments within those narrative sequences but don't expect it to be as much of a focus as Detroit.

As an older gamer (34) I feel that no-matter how much I overhype a game these days, I also kinda sub-consciously moderate my own expectations down to a healthier level through sheer experience.

When I was way younger I'd ultra-hype a game and get disappointed. When lucky, overhype a game and still be blown away. However when you've played literally thousands of games and become more aware of the technology, marketing, what's possible and what's not etc. You end up at a point where your knowledge about games and the industry, through this experience, works as a natural counterweight.

Scratch me up as another ol’ foggie at 34.

Very little does it for me anymore. I look forward to titles and at most, anticipate them. I never get hyped. I’ve all but stopped playing Triple-A titles.
At best, games manage to surprise me once I get them into my hands. It’s like the bar for me is at the bottom of the ocean and certain games manage to tug on it a little. Witcher 2 managed to do that. Witcher 3 did to some extend. It’s why this profile registered in 2011.

When Cyberpunk 2077 was released, the best I managed was, “oh cool! Bet that’s going to be fun.”
In all those six years, I never really managed to built up any additional expectation for it, other than, “it’s CDPR.”

There’s multiple apartments? That’s nice.
Just one after all? Okay then.

It’s an RPG! Coolbeans.
It’s an action-adventure! Still made by the same guys as Witcher? It’ll probably be fine.

Granted, I’ve been feeling more excited ever since I’ve been stopping by these forums more often. I think the buzz here is somewhat contagious.
However, that’s still a LONG way off from needing CP77 to be the second coming of RPGezus, because I want it to become everything I hope for.

I can endure quite a bit more “abuse” before I manage to get worked up, simply I don’t have the expectations to break. Until that time comes, I’ll just entertain myself in engaging you lot and seeking out the centrist viewpoint whenever there’s a discussion to be had.

Some are overhyping and people are becoming upset. This is why they ‘CDPR’ are being careful about what they say and show to us consumers.

Jheeze some users are putting me off of this forum. I’m sorry that those who are disappointed but reading that preorders are cancelled and how easy it is to implement features etc.

We’ve become such needy gamers where changes announced cause for a tantrum or a whine. (Those who do are within their rights to do so, but It’s off putting)

Allow the game to be released and produced in the way in which the developers intend. Cancel your preorder and wait till after release.

We shouldn’t compare this to other games before it’s even been released.

Anyhow rant over.

Some people might be, but I'm certainly not. I think it's only a really small percentage of fans who have unrealistic expectations etc

I just hope the decisons cdpr makes will be for the better,I'd hate playing the game and feeling like its incomplete or a waste of a wait

Of course it's over hyped, i haven't seen this game running on the PS4 yet and that.s giving me serious pause...

I think we, gamers, aren't the only one to blame for overhyping it. I mean... check out the apartment situation. Last year CDPR says "Absolutely! You can buy multiple apartments." and now they say we won't have this option and people are blaming gamers for setting unrealistic expectations. I would guess that "Absolutely" would mean that they will definitely have it whatever happens.
Similar thing with "Public" demo.

I feel like this overhyping is also because they decided to show the game long before the release. Normally as you can see on this E3 for example, developers will show you gameplay a year before the release and when it's out it's almost same game. You know what to expect. So I think all we can be sure of from the last years demo is that it's first person, openworld, RPG, it will have dialogs and you can drive. And some other things which I would be ok if I just heard about them and haven't seen the other details, mechanics and features.

But I can't blame CDPR for it. We were getting impatient because well... we waited since 2012 teaser and haven't seen or heard anything about it. Well ok I could blame them. Marketing specifically. They didn't have to tease it so soon. They could wait until W3 is completely done and then announce it.

So that's how I see it at least. I know CDPR are gods, but even they can make an error sometime. Don't get angry only at each other.

It's best just to not let the wait get to you. You're right that we've been waiting since 2012, but the fact that we're letting time alone get the better of us and raise expectations, IS something that's entirely our own fault and not CDPR's. I'm not even going to blame that on their marketing. If THAT'S how they manage to build their hype, then good on them.

On the other hand, yes, things they've claimed have since then changed. I could chalk that up to the vagaries of game development, but I find myself agreeing with you on that point. That's CDPR depleting their goodwill and yes, the amount of time passed just increases the risk of them having to make changes.

Still, no major confirmed changes so far, so I'm holding steady.

It's best just to not let the wait get to you. You're right that we've been waiting since 2012, but the fact that we're letting time alone get the better of us and raise expectations, IS something that's entirely our own fault and not CDPR's. I'm not even going to blame that on their marketing. If THAT'S how they manage to build their hype, then good on them.

On the other hand, yes, things they've claimed have since then changed. I could chalk that up to the vagaries of game development, but I find myself agreeing with you on that point. That's CDPR depleting their goodwill.

Still, no major confirmed changes so far, so I'm holding steady.
Yeah I agree that it's our fault but I think it's because we got used to the other marketing moves. I think it's also why Star Citizen is hated so much. Well not hated, but a lot of people don't like it and just makes fun of it. I think it's because they comment on everything since the release and you can watch their every move for years. Imagine if they didn't do it. If developers would just be quiet and work on the game until couple of years, then announce it and later release it. Then you wouldn't hear any "If it comes out." "Cyberpunk 2077 in a year 2077 will be released sooner than this game" "Half Life 3 will get released sooner than this." etc.

I have 32 years and i played a lot of games, i learned not to overhyping a game and also not to blindly trust to game journalist or youtubers.

But yes, people over-hyping this game, since last year E3 many youtubers made CP2077 content on weekly base, with titles like new info/new addition to CP2077......... most of those new news was some old info that was already said, they just change word order in their video, game journalist did same thing over past year, so many people see all that and think cool this will be in game they will add this in to game and get over-hyped, even know people still can't wait to fly around in flying cars or enter every building and go every floor.

Also many people overhyping it just because it is made by CDPR, that is also not good.

If CDPR did a month update saying stuff about CP2077 people would still be hype for the game and would have normal expectations.

I have every confidence in CDPR making this a killer of a game. That said, in any game, there will be good parts and bad parts. You never truly know if some of those bad parts might just break the immersion for you before you actually play the game. As an example: I was pretty hyped for Witcher 3, but it actually took me over two years before I started to like it. For me, the environment felt too small (vegetation, trees, etc) and this broke the immersion while i was on horseback. Thankfully this changed after I started playing the game more and got engaged in the story.

Can't really read all six pages, so in short...

Yes. Yes, you do. The game is really ovehyped at this moment. It suddenly turned out this way after E3.

We sure are. I’d set the expectations low especially now that stuff gets removed/changed left and right.
Some examples are:
1) 2018 version of “Chippin’ In” - we can kiss that goodbye.
6B8EDF12-07B4-4BF7-AF9D-C007286A960D.jpeg

5DD4E431-CFC0-4B8F-90BF-5E264AE35E3F.jpeg

2) Humanity cost for cyberware is also gone and replaced with slots. 3) Stuff like different apartments I don’t care much about but nonetheless it’s gone.
4) 3 background subcategories each containing 3 options is now reduced to just 3 backgrounds overall (nomad, street rat, corpo).

Last edited:
We sure are. I’d set the expectations low especially now that stuff gets removed/changed left and right.
Some examples are:
1) 2018 version of “Chippin’ In” - we can kiss that goodbye.

Can you please link me to the 2018 version? I don't think I've heard it

Top Bottom