You are wrong if you think Cyberpunk 2077 was 8 years in development

+
It's a common thing for new and ambitious IPs as opposed to smaller games that get built up and get more complex through sequels like GTA or the Witcher games. A game this scale was a huge endeavor for Cdpr as if TW3 wasn't already big enough and they just went in and dove through the risks.

Guerrilla Games here came from shooters to an open-world ARPG that took 6 years to develop and went through the same revisions. Lucky for them, the vision became clear pretty early on and the map, mechanics, and world elements aren't on the same scale as Cyberpunk's. And prolly management was smooth af. def that too

This is my first message on this forum and I had to add....
Guerilla made their own engine for Horizon as well, so add that on top of their development and Horizon came out beautifully made.
So in my opinion, CD Projekt Red has no excuse.

Please, stop saying it was 8 years in development, it's not true.
Well if you look back how the 2018 demo looked like and what the end product is, it seems to me that they crammed in a LOT of content. If they postpone the release, people would have had totally freak out. So they made a good decision to release it prematurely. Console users will be consoled, end of story.

So, who cares, I liked the end product and the bugs were not critical, and weren't annoying at all. The end product was perfect and we'll get a ton of content from the DLCs.

It's a common thing for new and ambitious IPs as opposed to smaller games that get built up and get more complex through sequels like GTA or the Witcher games. A game this scale was a huge endeavor for Cdpr as if TW3 wasn't already big enough and they just went in and dove through the risks.

Guerrilla Games here came from shooters to an open-world ARPG that took 6 years to develop and went through the same revisions. Lucky for them, the vision became clear pretty early on and the map, mechanics, and world elements aren't on the same scale as Cyberpunk's. And prolly management was smooth af. def that too

Amazing.

Guerilla made their own engine for Horizon as well, so add that on top of their development and Horizon came out beautifully made.

Yes, in your opinion, but we don't know why game is in this state, yet.
So now there is no excuse, but I doubt we'll not get some leaks about development.

Today I was studying some principles of communication / speech at Unreal Engine. Complex this and there, in the case study, what they call 'blue prints' (ready-made scripts) ... for some words, just a yes or no (option) several functions.

O__________o

Weird. I remember seeing and hearing CD Projekt Red say that the game has been in development since 2012/13.
Do you suggest they were lying? I mean, I'm pretty sure they lied about a lot of stuff in relation to Cyberpunk, so I ain't surprised they did it here as well.
Still, it feels like a ridiculous way to defend a game, by stating that the developer lied to the press, investors and fans about since when they were developing the game.
Don't trust every word they say. Remember, John Mamais said on the E3 stage that Witcher's are trained from birth.. lol

If they say they started since 2012/13, that probably means a small team doing concept arts, initial gameplay and story vision before the revisions and full prod. That is still technically and a crucial part of the development cycle. They can't go full throttle with CP because TW3 was in full production during that time. And TW3 had so many revisions to the point that E3 and VGX trailers looks far different compared to the retail. Don't even start about the downgrade controversy..

I'm not excusing them, I'm just trying to understand what's going on under the hood. It helps my patience, tempers my expectations, and makes me careful for what I wish for when I get the sense of what or what they're not capable of. They screwed up management. No excuse for that. If they did a thousand revisions of features until they ran out of time and investors got impatient. Then that's on them as well. The game at one point was even said to be in both 3rd person/1st perspectives. Dunno how much of that was true, but if it was, then that went down the drain as well most probably because of revisions.. again.

But I see they're pretty good at telling stories so hey, I'll just ask for more of that instead and expect nothing more. Profit. Peace of mind.

Last edited:
Weird. I remember seeing and hearing CD Projekt Red say that the game has been in development since 2012/13.
Do you suggest they were lying? I mean, I'm pretty sure they lied about a lot of stuff in relation to Cyberpunk, so I ain't surprised they did it here as well.
Still, it feels like a ridiculous way to defend a game, by stating that the developer lied to the press, investors and fans about since when they were developing the game.

Seriously, you apologists can try to spin it any way you want, in NO SCENARIO does CDPR get away from this without shit on their hands.
They screwed up, they were dishonest, worked their devs to the bone and didn't listen to them, all of this they practically admitted.
You like the game fine, you still like CDPR, also fine, but stop with these ridiculous attempts to defend their screw-up.
I'm so frigging tired of people blindly, senselessly defending CDPR at this point, definitely way more tired than the OP is about hearing it has been in development for 8 years. It makes me sick, that so many people don't want to accept the truth right before their eyes and instead go to any length to try to pass the blame or pretend everything is fine.

Just get a refund and be done with them without any drama, root for other devs that you like, just like I'm done with Bioware, I still believe CDpr can pull it off, it's a good base game.

Don't trust every word they say. Remember, John Mamais said on the E3 stage that Witcher's are trained from birth.. lol

If they say they started since 2012/13, that probably means a small team doing concept arts, initial gameplay and story vision before the revisions and full prod. That is still technically and a crucial part of the development cycle. They can't go full throttle with CP because TW3 was in full production during that time. And TW3 had so many revisions to the point that E3 and VGX trailers looks far different compared to the retail. Don't even start about the downgrade controversy..

I'm not excusing them, I'm just trying to understand what's going on under the hood. It helps my patience, tempers my expectations, and makes me careful for what I wish for when I get the sense of what or what they're not capable of. They screwed up management. No excuse for that. If they did a thousand revisions of features until they ran out of time and investors got impatient. Then that's on them as well. The game at one point was even said to be in both 3rd person/1st perspectives. Dunno how much of that was true, but if it was, then that went down the drain as well most probably because of revisions.. again.

But I see they're pretty good at telling stories so hey, I'll just ask for more of that instead and expect nothing more. Profit. Peace of mind.

I think Alex from Digital Foundry was right about downgrade, Witcher 2 was mainly PC focused game, so they tried to focus more on consoles with Witcher 3 and they had to downgrade and controls were terrible (I haven't played Witcher 2, so I don't know how bad/good it was). Now with Cyberpunk 2077 they said "fck that, we are not doing it again" and they just made PC game and sadly thanks to console ports they losing reputation.

I think Alex from Digital Foundry was right about downgrade, Witcher 2 was mainly PC focused game, so they tried to focus more on consoles with Witcher 3 and they had to downgrade and controls were terrible (I haven't played Witcher 2, so I don't know how bad/good it was). Now with Cyberpunk 2077 they said "fck that, we are not doing it again" and they just made PC game and sadly thanks to console ports they losing reputation.
Yeah it's especially noticable with Ubisoft titles. They create game builds on high-end rigs and go ham with the graphics with unfinished content. Then they put out the trailers cause the investors says so. And then they finally optimize it for consoles and go "o shit it's too much for this machine so we have to cut back. But we already showed trailers so we have to make it work somehow."

I'm not surprised if CDPR meant that CP2077 worked "surprisingly well" on consoles meant that the PS4 didn't blow up.

I'm not surprised if CDPR meant that CP2077 worked "surprisingly well" on consoles meant that the PS4 didn't blow up.

Haha, yeah, so in the end maybe it wasn't lie. lol. If I again quote Alex, after he saw first gameplay he doubt Cyberpunk is coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4, he thought there is no way these consoles can run this game. He was wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if January update fix performance on base consoles. We saw some problems with Witcher 3 on base consoles (Xbox One and PS4) and it's 5 years ago, of course Cyberpunk will run worse. I don't want to defend CDPR, they fcked up big. If they knew base console can't handle this, they should cancel plans to release there but I guess they realized too late, shame.

And at least with Cyberpunk there wasn't downgrade, I would say we can play better looking game right now.. well visually better looking, missing content is still missing content.

bign

Forum regular
Hey,

I know there are some problems with the game, but I'm so tired to read "arguments" how game was 8 years in development and still it's bad. So Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in May 2012 with teaser trailer in Jan 2013, but it doesn't mean they worked on the game. It was even before The Witcher 3 was announced (2013, release 2015), so there is no way they already started development. Maybe if CD Projekt Red is big studio like Rockstar Games with 2000 people they can work on two big AAA games at the same time, well they are not.

Development of Cyberpunk 2077 started with about 50 people back in 2013, but pre-production started after Blood and Wine was released (source). So these 50 people started working on script and how game should or shouldn't work? I have no idea, but full speed development started after Blood and Wine release and it was back in May 31, 2016. So 4 years and 6 months for game like this is clearly not enough with 500 people, and I guess there wasn't around 500 people at the beginning, they hired more and more during development, because Witcher 3 was developed by 250 people ("The project began with 150 employees, eventually growing to over 250 in-house staff." (source)).

Game is clearly half-baked and have some problems, but there is strong foundation, so we can expect bright future, I hope.

Why do you care so much?

Hey,

I know there are some problems with the game, but I'm so tired to read "arguments" how game was 8 years in development and still it's bad. So Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in May 2012 with teaser trailer in Jan 2013, but it doesn't mean they worked on the game. It was even before The Witcher 3 was announced (2013, release 2015), so there is no way they already started development. Maybe if CD Projekt Red is big studio like Rockstar Games with 2000 people they can work on two big AAA games at the same time, well they are not.

Development of Cyberpunk 2077 started with about 50 people back in 2013, but pre-production started after Blood and Wine was released (source). So these 50 people started working on script and how game should or shouldn't work? I have no idea, but full speed development started after Blood and Wine release and it was back in May 31, 2016. So 4 years and 6 months for game like this is clearly not enough with 500 people, and I guess there wasn't around 500 people at the beginning, they hired more and more during development, because Witcher 3 was developed by 250 people ("The project began with 150 employees, eventually growing to over 250 in-house staff." (source)).

Game is clearly half-baked and have some problems, but there is strong foundation, so we can expect bright future, I hope.

Personally I don't care how long they have been working on it. It could have been 20 years for all I care :D

I care about what they said the game would be, what they showed us was suppose to be actual gameplay in the first trailer. Don't get me wrong, I know they said it could change, but you don't expect to see a trailer for a RPG game where they clearly state and highlight certain things as being next gen and how important they are for the game. And then when they release it, and it's not only changed, it's completely removed and the game is nothing like what they said it were.

Why would they spend all this time and create all this content and wanting to highlight it to the players how cool it is and what to expect, to only turn 180 degree and say that it is not just no longer important, it got completely scrapped. I could understand it if they replaced it with a new and better system, but they didn't, it just isn't there.

If you watch the first trailer, they highlight that they have the most advanced crowd controlling system to date, and that was 2 years ago? It doesn't require an expert in AI to see that it clearly isn't good. So what happened with that advanced system during these last 2 years from when the trailer was shown?

Why would they spend all this time and create all this content and wanting to highlight it to the players how cool it is and what to expect, to only turn 180 degree and say that it is not just no longer important, it got completely scrapped. I could understand it if they replaced it with a new and better system, but they didn't, it just isn't there.

Because that's how game development works, 100% of the time. You prototype some systems/mechanics and then they get scrapped for 1000s of reasons. However, it seems that putting a "Work in progress. Everything you see is potentially subject to change" disclaimer is not enough for some and communication strategies need to be better in the future.

Because that's how game development works, 100% of the time. You prototype some systems/mechanics and then they get scrapped for 1000s of reasons. However, it seems that putting a "Work in progress. Everything you see is potentially subject to change" disclaimer is not enough for some and communication strategies need to be better in the future.
As I said, I fully understand that. And have no issue with certain things being changed, I would in fact expect that.

But also it's no secret that time after time, CDPR have said that it is not an action game first, but a RPG with everything you would expect from such game. When I first saw the trailers back then, my first thought was that this was just another GTA game and I was worried, because we already have lots of them.

We as consumers can only go by what we are told and when we keep getting told that it is RPG first, choice matters and the commentator is even saying in that trailer "And that is only one mission", the impression you have is that this is in fact, something that CDPR is going to push throughout the game, otherwise the commentator should clearly have said "And this is only in this one mission." and let's be honest, it's not even in this one, because it ultimately doesn't matter.

So clearly they pushed out this trailer way to early, if this weren't even remotely what people should expect.

When I see "Work in progress. Everything you see is potentially subject to change", I expect certain and a lot of minor changes, like dialogs, maybe the mission is structured differently, weapons, graphics, audio etc.

I don't expect the very core of the game to change. Because the trailer doesn't show what looks like an alpha version of the game, with poor graphics, bugs and what else you would expect from an early preview, but rather it shows something that is very fleshed out, looking good and functional.

As I said, I fully understand that. And have no issue with certain things being changed, I would in fact expect that.

But also it's no secret that time after time, CDPR have said that it is not an action game first, but a RPG with everything you would expect from such game. When I first saw the trailers back then, my first thought was that this was just another GTA game and I was worried, because we already have lots of them.

We as consumers can only go by what we are told and when we keep getting told that it is RPG first, choice matters and the commentator is even saying in that trailer "And that is only one mission", the impression you have is that this is in fact, something that CDPR is going to push throughout the game, or the commentator should clearly have said "And this is only in this one mission." and let's be honest, it's not even in this one, because it ultimately doesn't matter.

So clearly they pushed out this trailer way to early, if this weren't even remotely what people should expect. When I see "Work in progress. Everything you see is potentially subject to change", I expect certain and a lot of minor changes, like dialogs, maybe the mission is structured differently, weapons, graphics, audio etc. I don't expect very core of the game to change. Because the trailer doesn't show what looks like an alpha version of the game, with poor graphics, bugs and what else you would expect from a early preview, but rather it shows something that is very fleshed out, looking good and functional.

Yeah, basing the communication about the game on vertical slices is a rather bad industry standard that I wish just stopped. And I get why certain people, with less knowledge about the game development processes had their hopes and expectations through the roof.

CDpr is the victim of their own success they achieved, just give em good folks of CDpr a chance, got a good track record, I believe in them.

For now, felt so many vultures, keep circling the game's lack of features, bugs, and the refund controversy on console. I had a much worse experience in FO76, AC unity, and Batman Ark Knight.

As a base, this game is good.

*Good*, but not great. I’ve been playing the game for the past two days, and I find it to be extremely okay. Not amazing. I have some fun with it, but overall I find myself disappointed with a lot of things.

The FPS side of the game: Headshots, for a great many enemies you don’t outlevel enough to kill in one shot, feel very dissatisfying. Don’t see how someone can take 50 bullets to the head and still be okay.

Movement: Been a couple times now that I’ve been launched from what should be a solid surface in the game and either been killed because of it (once flung into the air while driving, and I was only going down the road, in V’s starting car) another, where I was thrown to the top of a building, clipped through the ceiling when my car was stuck and fell to my death (same situation got me there), or continued to lose progress during the Delamain virus quest, where I kept being forcefully slid from the tubes leading into the duct.

The AI: Story is alright, but one great example of how the AI is just dismal is the Barry quests. After it’s all over, literally right after their dialogue is finished, they go back to regular cop lines, completely forget who you are.

Cars: Summoning your car when far from it does not either summon your car from its location, nor despawns your previous model for the car, but leaves that car there and spawns a new one. Might be one of the sources of the Great File Size Escapade.

The Street Cred: Hate that not only are weapons arbitrarily locked behind level gates, but also locked behind Street Cred. And if they’d have given some in game, in world reason for it, I’d get it—like the Tiger Claws tattoo gives you access to smart weapons—though I’ve yet to really find and use any, I think I just hit like, level 15?

The story: Why’s this game become Johnny Paloozapunk 2077? Why can’t I have V as the focus of the game, why does it feel like Johnny stole the main stage the moment he appears? Why am I stuck with him and why shove the arbitrary time frame down my throat?

My opinion: To fix the story, have the whole “Johnny” thing be not a “terminal” thing. Either that, or say it’s something that could kill him in a few years, not two weeks.

Make Johnny not be the damned focal point of the game. Keanu Reeves is a treat and all, but he isn’t the one who needs the spotlight for the game. V is, otherwise we might as well be playing as Johnny.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, basing the communication about the game on vertical slices is a rather bad industry standard that I wish just stopped. And I get why certain people, with less knowledge about the game development processes had their hopes and expectations through the roof.

I think I’ve mentioned this to you before, but just in case I’ll say it again—for me, my expectations were not set by my imagination, but by what they promised would be in the game, and I tempered my expectations based on what they said would be removed from it.

I only expected what they said would be in the game, and this ain’t it, chief. This ain’t it.

and since 18 months before its (then) rushed release it was entirely re-written to accommodate the suits $ obsession with celebrity Keanu...everything unfinished (and promised) in the bin and let's make the God of Silverhand the star

*Good*, but not great. I’ve been playing the game for the past two days, and I find it to be extremely okay. Not amazing. I have some fun with it, but overall I find myself disappointed with a lot of things.

The FPS side of the game: Headshots, for a great many enemies you don’t outlevel enough to kill in one shot, feel very dissatisfying. Don’t see how someone can take 50 bullets to the head and still be okay.

Movement: Been a couple times now that I’ve been launched from what should be a solid surface in the game and either been killed because of it (once flung into the air while driving, and I was only going down the road, in V’s starting car) another, where I was thrown to the top of a building, clipped through the ceiling when my car was stuck and fell to my death (same situation got me there), or continued to lose progress during the Delamain virus quest, where I kept being forcefully slid from the tubes leading into the duct.

The AI: Story is alright, but one great example of how the AI is just dismal is the Barry quests. After it’s all over, literally right after their dialogue is finished, they go back to regular cop lines, completely forget who you are.

Cars: Summoning your car when far from it does not either summon your car from its location, nor despawns your previous model for the car, but leaves that car there and spawns a new one. Might be one of the sources of the Great File Size Escapade.

The Street Cred: Hate that not only are weapons arbitrarily locked behind level gates, but also locked behind Street Cred. And if they’d have given some in game, in world reason for it, I’d get it—like the Tiger Claws tattoo gives you access to smart weapons—though I’ve yet to really find and use any, I think I just hit like, level 15?

The story: Why’s this game become Johnny Paloozapunk 2077? Why can’t I have V as the focus of the game, why does it feel like Johnny stole the main stage the moment he appears? Why am I stuck with him and why shove the arbitrary time frame down my throat?

My opinion: To fix the story, have the whole “Johnny” thing be not a “terminal” thing. Either that, or say it’s something that could kill him in a few years, not two weeks.

Make Johnny not be the damned focal point of the game. Keanu Reeves is a treat and all, but he isn’t the one who needs the spotlight for the game. V is, otherwise we might as well be playing as Johnny.

I think I’ve mentioned this to you before, but just in case I’ll say it again—for me, my expectations were not set by my imagination, but by what they promised would be in the game, and I tempered my expectations based on what they said would be removed from it.

I only expected what they said would be in the game, and this ain’t it, chief. This ain’t it.

' Why’s this game become Johnny Paloozapunk 2077? '
' .. the all powerful 'celebrity' $, that's why.... ' chuck the creativity in the bin and let's remake Johnny Mnemonic for a pile of pre-order cash' and stuff what the players want

No. The "demo" was a visual concept. And not in game. Don't call it a demo than. A demo is a piece of the actual game. This was them building only what we saw in the visual concept. Than they recreated it in the actual game. Cut what they couldn't/didn't want to do etc. This is why you finalize what you want in game. And see what is actually possible. Before the public sees it.

Top Bottom