Snowdrop engine looks fantastic!

+
Saoe said:
False advertisement of how physics and lightning works? ..C'mon dude.

I was about to write something sarcastic but I rather not.

I don't know if you followed the game but this is an example of false advertisement:

Remember Aliens: Colonial Marines? Gearbox showed great graphics and physics at (I believe) E3 and when the game released, it shipped with way worse graphics and effects.
There were a few comparison video's on youtube.

[media]http://youtu.be/6lGXDM3LGnk[/media]

Aver

Forum veteran
I doubt that we will see any false advertisement here about graphics/physics. Massive is very honest and close to players company. They were releasing free map-packs for their games in the past. They also making their PC version in-house and it won't be port of console game, but it will be build from ground up. They were PC-only dev so far, so I believe them.

Aver said:
I doubt that we will see any false advertisement here about graphics/physics. Massive is very honest and close to players company. They were releasing free map-packs for their games in the past. They also making their PC version in-house and it won't be port of console game, but it will be build from ground up. They were PC-only dev so far, so I believe them.

So there will be pc version? I thought it was some ps4 or xbone exclusive.

I'm a sucker for Third-person and it's Coop PvE ...I already love it!

I hate seeing this trend that microtransaction coming into "AAA" Titles or at least games where you already pay alot of money -.-"

but darn it....I'm going to play this!

I survived APB!

Sirnaq said:
So there will be pc version? I thought it was some ps4 or xbone exclusive.

Yes, they confirmed the PC version few weeks/months after the reveal at E3. It's Ubisoft, everyone was pretty sure the PC would be confirmed. Only a dic*head studio like Bungie would develop online RPG shooter for consoles exclusively.

Caspartine said:
Yes, they confirmed the PC version few weeks/months after the reveal at E3. It's Ubisoft, everyone was pretty sure the PC would be confirmed. Only a dic*head studio like Bungie would develop online RPG shooter for consoles exclusively.

Can't blame them, pc is saturated by online shooters. They would need to make something truly amazing to be able to compete.

Sirnaq said:
Can't blame them, pc is saturated by online shooters. They would nee to make something truly amazing to be able to compete.

Far from the truth, both about genre and the saturation. You make a good game, you'll find a playerbase. There's no such thing as saturation in this area. Only stronger competition.

As for Destiny - It's not like they would need to develop the game from scratch, creating it for 2 platforms doesn't mean double the effort. As an online game it's pretty much safe against piracy, and unlike Diablo 3, noone would be pissed about the online based DRM, cause it fits the game, just as it fits The Division. In other words, they don't need to build a loyal and supporting community via gamer-friendly PR (like CDPR did and does), they just need to make good enough game.

And since I already mentioned CDPR, these guys were in a tremendously worst spot when they started, and still are, cause TW3 will be pirated plenty just like the previous 2 games.

Making good shooter on new gen console and making good shooter on pc are 2 entirely different things. How many shooters are there on new consoles huh? 4? 7? There are couple of hundreds on pc.

Well Massive has made good games in the past, actually some very good games: World in Conflict and Soviet Assault were fucking awesome.

So I am curios to see what they can do. It's likely this has been in development for a long time now.

Sirnaq said:
Making good shooter on new gen console and making good shooter on pc are 2 entirely different things. How many shooters are there on new consoles huh? 4? 7? There are couple of hundreds on pc.

Maybe a words "console" and "shooter" may have something to do with that? Those two really don't get along well. Anyhow, let's not digress. Besides TW3 (obviously), Division is my most anticipated title, the engine looks gorgeous, and from the little info we know about the game, it seems to fill surprisingly blank and much desired spot. I just hope the rumors about microtransactions prove to be wrong.

A game having micro transactions doesn't mean it'll be bad though.

For example Guild Wars 2. They probably have the best financial model for an MMORPG.

If it's required to not charge a monthly subscription then it's all good.

kythor said:
A game having micro transactions doesn't mean it'll be bad though.

For example Guild Wars 2. They probably have the best financial model for an MMORPG.

If it's required to not charge a monthly subscription then it's all good.

Actually after experiencing several f2p MMO games, I'd say - let me pay a reasonable (TESO anyone? ) monthly fee and give me everything there is. I was bitching about it back in the WoW days, but now I'd rather go this way. There are plenty of games with bad and worse f2p models, dunno about GW2, maybe an exception confirming the rule?:)

CostinMoroianu said:
GW2 has no real end game content.

...which does relate how, exactly?

Also, hate to digress even more, but in the last couple of years I grew to opinion, that we're spoiled. Broken, even. We jump into a new game, rush the lvl cap and then complain if there are no shinies waiting for us. I don't think MMOs should be about endgame only. I'd love to experience my first MMO again. That exploration, everything was new, meeting people...I couldn't care less about leveling, endgame loot, bragging about my gear...

I'm over that "elite" period. I'm older, got other things to attend to, but I still love gaming. I love playing with other people, but I'm looking for games that don't expect me to spend hours and hours grinding/doing dailies/whatever just to be competitive. I wanna hop in, have some fun, hop out. And Division gives me exactly this feeling.

slimgrin said:
Imo Division is the best looking game out there right now by a substantial margin. Somehow Watchdogs looks worse every time I see it, and RED engine 3 is currently under development so TW3 still has an unfinished look to it. The environment in the game reacts nicely, but I'm wondering how interactive it will be, ie; explorable buildings, access to rooftops and sewers, etc. And the gameplay on a macro level seems like a glorified MMO. It's also a shame Ubisoft is involved.

chances are, it'll be really good looking, but really shallow game. ie, deep down, battlefield 4. great looking game using the newest available graphics technologies, but sacrificing versatility and complexity.

i'm calling it right now that the guns will feel like pea shooters, the physics will be laughable, and the gameplay will involve going from waypoint to waypoint doing the whackamole on hordes of stupid ai enemies using chest high walls.

this is a ubisoft product so keep your expectations really low.

Caspartine said:
...which does relate how, exactly?

Also, hate to digress even more, but in the last couple of years I grew to opinion, that we're spoiled. Broken, even. We jump into a new game, rush the lvl cap and then complain if there are no shinies waiting for us. I don't think MMOs should be about endgame only. I'd love to experience my first MMO again. That exploration, everything was new, meeting people...I couldn't care less about leveling, endgame loot, bragging about my gear...

I'm over that "elite" period. I'm older, got other things to attend to, but I still love gaming. I love playing with other people, but I'm looking for games that don't expect me to spend hours and hours grinding/doing dailies/whatever just to be competitive. I wanna hop in, have some fun, hop out. And Division gives me exactly this feeling.
We're not spoiled mate. Well, we actually are a bit I suppose. The overall quality of video games have improved drastically. And the quantity of good games have increased as well.

That said, we know next to nothing about the Division. But what I do know is that we have to move past this whole retarded, old timer game design trope of "endgame/leveling" in MMOs. There's more to games than grinding, like you said. But the thing that kills MMOs for me (mind you, I played WoW for about 2-3 years) is that the core mechanics of the game does not stimulate nor encourage, say, exploration. Nor do thy reinforce the notion of "hop in/hop out". There's a lot of dedication and time you need to invest in an MMO in order for you to have any fun whatsoever.

I'm not disagreeing with you nor trying to argue with you. Just attempting to explore the topic a bit further. I played Guild Wars 2 for a bit but as soon as I hit max level, I stopped playing. No joke. And I had plenty of shit left to explore. And that game does really encourage teamwork. But the combat is shit and monotonous and the loot system is the tired old bullshity RPG norm of "get higher level gear makes you a better player". God just.... I want to play a game where my skills determine whether or not I'm good or not. Forcing me to grind an area for 5 hours in order to be the "best" is atrocious game design. At least acoording to me. I imagine there's gonna be some stats assholes crying in defence of it.

We need to focus on evolving the very core of what an MMO is supposed to do. I'm looking at this engine and I'm like "well that's pretty. Shame they're wasting on what seems to be a shit game". Do you see what I'm saying? If the core mechanics support old game design tropes and isn't fun to play, then I don't care how shiny those pixels are. I'm not playing your garbage ass game.

Fuck. It's depressing when Hotline Miami is a better game than WoW and GW2 combined. That should say something about how much the MMO genre desperately needs innovation.

FoggyFishburne said:
We're not spoiled mate. Well, we actually are a bit I suppose. The overall quality of video games have improved drastically. And the quantity of good games have increased as well.

That said, we know next to nothing about the Division. But what I do know is that we have to move past this whole retarded, old timer game design trope of "endgame/leveling" in MMOs. There's more to games than grinding, like you said. But the thing that kills MMOs for me (mind you, I played WoW for about 2-3 years) is that the core mechanics of the game does not stimulate nor encourage, say, exploration. Nor do thy reinforce the notion of "hop in/hop out". There's a lot of dedication and time you need to invest in an MMO in order for you to have any fun whatsoever.

I'm not disagreeing with you nor trying to argue with you. Just attempting to explore the topic a bit further. I played Guild Wars 2 for a bit but as soon as I hit max level, I stopped playing. No joke. And I had plenty of shit left to explore. And that game does really encourage teamwork. But the combat is shit and monotonous and the loot system is the tired old bullshity RPG norm of "get higher level gear makes you a better player". God just.... I want to play a game where my skills determine whether or not I'm good or not. Forcing me to grind an area for 5 hours in order to be the "best" is atrocious game design. At least acoording to me. I imagine there's gonna be some stats assholes crying in defence of it.

We need to focus on evolving the very core of what an MMO is supposed to do. I'm looking at this engine and I'm like "well that's pretty. Shame they're wasting on what seems to be a shit game". Do you see what I'm saying? If the core mechanics support old game design tropes and isn't fun to play, then I don't care how shiny those pixels are. I'm not playing your garbage ass game.

Fuck. It's depressing when Hotline Miami is a better game than WoW and GW2 combined. That should say something about how much the MMO genre desperately needs innovation.

Agreed at most of the points. My hope in this title is (maybe too much, we'll see) based on the trust in the devs themselves, Massive. Their WiC was a great strategy with insane visuals, yet so underrated. Many ppl see the Ubi label and that's all they need to start bashing.
I see the studio behind the game, and they have my trust. For now:)
The other part of that hope is a simple lack of this type of game.

As for the MMO's. I played both of the mentioned (5 yrs of HC WoW, yet GW2 I didn't even hit lvl cap) and tried many more, so I know exactly, what you mean.

I tried something else, gave Vindictus and TERA a shot, both heavily skill based with best "action" combat I've seen so far in an MMO. Both games miss something more to them though, and what's worse, there's no coming back to tab target locking. Even GW2 feels like a cripple with its halfway attempt to action combat. So I'm stuck, waiting for something that blows off my socks.

Is it just me, or is there quite a variance in texture quality. On some objects like cars or barrels it seems to be quite low an blurry and other things look great. Detail seems good, but texture resolution seems like a mixed bag to me. Can someone confirm this impression, or am I imagining it?

Top Bottom