Cyberpunk 2077 director says studio's switch from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5 'isn't starting from scratch'

+
still didnt see any well optimized ue5 pc game with cp2077's lvl of graphics.
Mate, the Engine has been in a finished state for just over a year now. Most AAA games take several years to complete. There has not been enough time for a company to build a game world nearly as dense as 2077, noting that they had a decade or so including per-production, with full access to their own engine. Though if you need something close that Matrix Awakens demo looks more like real life than Google Maps at the moment.

More to the point, the games that are out now in UE5 are either indie games or medium-budget Double-A titles (Like Remnant 2 or Avernum).

So what I am saying is "hold your horses", because you're implying that the experience available now is going to somehow dictate the end quality of a game that we'll be lucky to even see a teaser for before 2030.

Last edited:
Mate, the Engine has been in a finished state for just over a year now. Most AAA games take several years to complete. There has not been enough time for a company to build a game world nearly as dense as 2077, noting that they had a decade or so including per-production, with full access to their own engine. Though if you need something close that Matrix Awakens demo looks more like real life than Google Maps at the moment.

More to the point, the games that are out now in UE5 are either indie games or medium-budget Double-A titles (Like Remnant 2 or Avernum).

So what I am saying is "hold your horses", because you're implying that the experience available now is going to somehow dictate the end quality of a game that we'll be lucky to even see a teaser for before 2030.
"city sample" (matrix awakens) was released 4 months before the launch of the engine for developers. you cant compare "city sample" and cp2077 for pc. there is no released "city sample" version for pc. all i've seen is a lot of different builds. i still have one of them and i tried it with different settings. i never get more than 25 fps, while cp2077 allows me to play at max settings for native fullhd with locked 60 fps (no raytrace junk of course) when my gpu works at 60-80% of its maximum.

"city sample" looks good, but it is not "more real". it has a lot of glitches if you look closely, but it is ok.

note: i'm still talking about pc, not consoles.
Post automatically merged:

Unrecord on UE5. Seem quite nice to me... Realistic at least :)
this is just an insane level of texturing with diffuse "cloudy" light as a cheat for an extremely limited area. i bet it is possible to make almost the same with the red engine.

Last edited:
this is just an insane level of texturing with diffuse "cloudy" light as a cheat for an extremely limited area. i bet it is possible to make almost the same with the red engine.
I never said otherwise previously, but like I said, Red Engine is one of the main reasons why the game is still so "buggy" even after 3 years. The time CDPR will save by not having to deal with their own engine, they will be able to investing it on "making game".

I have no doubt that a game on Unreal Engine develloped by CDPR will look gorgeous and might push Unreal Engine further/higher (Also why Epic and CDPR signed a 15 years partnership... CDPR won't simply "use" Unreal Engine like many studios, they will work together to improve UE).

the game is still so "buggy"
you can contact the support ("contact us" button). Maybe they will provide you a way to do it

ok. you said that it looks realistic. my answer was about the reason of this seeming realism. it is not that hard to make a realistic scene with 10 flat textured walls and soft lights without shadows. especially if you run it on rtx 4090. my idea was about "the red engine is still better than the unreal engine in its perfomance and details level". and of course, cdpr will do whatever they want or feel better to do.
game is buggy because of its complexcity. for example, "the stash wall" bug has nothing to do with the engine.

speaking of “realistic” things, look at this demo (the engine is different, and the complexity of some details needs to be explained if you are not familiar with 3d modeling, but anyway)

you can contact the support ("contact us" button). Maybe they will provide you a way to do it
Oh, I did and regularely suggest other to do it... But it doesn't mean that CDPR will be able to fix them all. Sadly, the game will always remain quite buggy like some other games which also use their own engine (looking at you Cretion Engine^^).

Anyway, CDPR who I guess, are in the best place, to know what's the better for their future games, decided that keeping Red Engine was no longer a viable solution... for many reasons. And again, I'm sure a game from CDPR on Unreal Engine will look gorgeous like it always was with their games... Knowing that CDPR will have more time and ressources to invest in "making the game" than try to improve their home made engine.

"city sample" (matrix awakens) was released 4 months before the launch of the engine for developers. you cant compare "city sample" and cp2077 for pc. there is no released "city sample" version for pc. all i've seen is a lot of different builds. i still have one of them and i tried it with different settings. i never get more than 25 fps, while cp2077 allows me to play at max settings for native fullhd with locked 60 fps (no raytrace junk of course) when my gpu works at 60-80% of its maximum.
"city sample" looks good, but it is not "more real". it has a lot of glitches if you look closely, but it is ok.

note: i'm still talking about pc, not consoles.
Fine then don't compare it.

At any rate is this
Not what we are talking about?

You're also kind of complaining about bad frames in a future-forward tech-demo by offering for comparison, more-or-less, that you are getting console framerates, at console resolutions, in a 3-y/o game, and it is 80% of the way to topping out your GPU -- as though that is meant to make a case for Red Engine or something? This does not make your case effectively.

What it does do, is make me need to ask again: "why are we even arguing about this? It's like a year old game engine and a game that isn't even coming out for like 5-8 years, which will be relying on GPUS that haven't been designed yet??"

Respectfully, you don't seem to have a great grip on what is going on here, or how the industry works so just like... let it go and hope for the best. It's okay.
Post automatically merged:

Unrecord on UE5. Seem quite nice to me... Realistic at least :)
I pride myself on being an accomplished pixel peeper and I am, in my hobby time, an A/V nerd... I was 100% convinced this was an FMV game when I saw the first trailers, especially given the resurgence of FMV games... Until I saw your post. I even saw it on a list of UE5 games and thought it was the back end. At no point did I realize that was an "environment". To be fair, I am not saying it is indistinguishable from reality -- I am however saying that it was good enough as not to flag me the first time when it was running on Twitch on my [nice] TV during a trailer block. Sitting down and watching it you get obvious tells like tiling and duplicated props. To the average GaMeR we're entering a new area with this engine.

I was even complementing how good Don't Scream looked just last night, and how well the ground topography looked with a passing glance, but even that had the heavy VHS filter to sell the effect. But Unrecord, that's just nuts. If they could commit to locking that to cinematic 24 or 40 FPS, they would break a lot of brains (but would also upset a lot of gamers hah).

Last edited:

Jeyl

Forum regular
I'm just concerned on what will be lost in going from RedEngine to Unreal. I'm sure there will be a lot of negative things gone, but what about the positives? What did you like in the Redengine that you fear won't carry over into Unreal?

I’m glad that the RedEngine is being retired/shelved, its overdue and CP77 is a prime example of that.

UE5 is by far superior to the RedEgine, if it wasn't, and CDPR thought that their engine was better, they wouldn't be moving to UE5, its as simple as that.

Not what we are talking about?

You're also kind of complaining about bad frames in a future-forward tech-demo by offering for comparison, more-or-less, that you are getting console framerates, at console resolutions, in a 3-y/o game, and it is 80% of the way to topping out your GPU -- as though that is meant to make a case for Red Engine or something? This does not make your case effectively.

What it does do, is make me need to ask again: "why are we even arguing about this? It's like a year old game engine and a game that isn't even coming out for like 5-8 years, which will be relying on GPUS that haven't been designed yet??"

Respectfully, you don't seem to have a great grip on what is going on here, or how the industry works so just like... let it go and hope for the best. It's okay.
1st you need to learn the differencre between console graphics settings and maximum for a pc settings.
2nd you need to learn the difference between a project and a released product.
3rd i said that red engine works insanely awesome without burning my pc. i think that's because my english is barely understandable, sorry.
4th yeah, i dont have a great grip. i bet you do. good luck

Pls show me any UE5 game mods that add quests or change UI or HUD elements, or literally change fundamentals of game like combat and movement.

Well, first, you're moving the goalpost here. Your original post, which @Heartstopper quoted, said UE period. Nothing specific about UE5.

Based on that. You are, in fact, very wrong.

Look at Age of Calamitous for Conan Exiles. It adds/modify huge chunks of land. Adds weapons, armors and plenty of stuff to build. Adds economic systems. Adds quests and quest NPCs(in a game with no quest system to begin with). Adds PvP events and reward system based on it's own lore and it adds plenty of UI elements to accommodate those systems. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but that's enough to prove your argument that only the most basic of modding is available on UE is completely wrong.

Funcom released a dev kit that, in conjunction with the UE tools Epic makes available, makes it possible to have in-depth access to the game. Create content for the game in almost the same way they did.

We're barely starting to see UE5 games being released and no mod friendly studio has released a game using it. I'd be willing to bet that if a studio like Bethesda got it's hands on UE5 for their next game, they would release a toolkit for it and we woul see extensive modding.

It's not about the engine, it's about tool availability and developers wanting to allow modding.

Chooms chooms, don't worry.

No matter what engine CDPR uses it'll get rushed out the door in a semi playable state, and we'll pay full price to playtest it just the same.

Some months years down the line it'll even get most of the kinks worked out just for them to pull a "Combat Upgrade" tier overhaul and start the process all over again.

Have some faith.

Top Bottom