Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassandra, me gal! :D So still some well known people allive :) Waiter: Please some red wine for me and my good old friend :)

First thing I would check and replace is the thermostat and antifreeze . Usually the most common cause of overheating . Pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself . But if you go to a dealer then expect to pay with an arm and a leg....possibly a kidney as well . Most car dealerships get between 60 and 70 dollars an hour just for labor and parts are extra . A local garage can also do it and in most cases will give you an estimate of the cost beforehand .

Do NOT for all that is righteous and holy remove the radiator cap off an overheated vehicle as you can be burned seriously .
Following the thermostat would be either a cooling system flush and or a water pump replacement which is usually determined if the water pump is leaking and your losing water from the cooling system .

Oh come on now. I'm clueless on cars, but I know not to touch that cap. Just popped the hood and let everything cool. Thankfully I was only a mile from home. Costs me about thirty bucks for the thermostat. It's not a new car so no dealership.

Luckily I have a friend who is good with cars. Your advice and concern is appreciated though. :)

First thing I would check and replace is the thermostat and antifreeze . Usually the most common cause of overheating . Pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself . But if you go to a dealer then expect to pay with an arm and a leg....possibly a kidney as well . Most car dealerships get between 60 and 70 dollars an hour just for labor and parts are extra . A local garage can also do it and in most cases will give you an estimate of the cost beforehand .

Do NOT for all that is righteous and holy remove the radiator cap off an overheated vehicle as you can be burned seriously .
Following the thermostat would be either a cooling system flush and or a water pump replacement which is usually determined if the water pump is leaking and your losing water from the cooling system .

Actually, staying away from any garage that has anybody with the title "Service Writer" is a good idea. These are the people who are paid not to know much about cars but to know a great deal about upselling for additional profit.

Also, after an overheating incident, check the hoses (they're the easiest and cheapest to check and replace, so don't change the water pump and miss a leaky hose) and the radiator itself. And to assure yourself nothing catastrophic happened, check the coolant and oil (you're looking for oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil) and make sure you do not get white smoke out the exhaust. Any of those suggests a blown gasket (yes, that's where "don't blow a gasket" comes from).

Haha, Kentucky Fried Tommy still on duty :) Hi mate how are ya? Long time not seen, ey?

Hahaha yep still here , Will soon be 5 years . Jeez 5 years ....where does the time go ? Welcome back ifayra ! It sure feels good so see some old faces now and again . Drinks of choice all `round
@ Csàszàr , didn`t mean anything personal but you`d be surprised at how many people i`ve seen through the years doing or attempting to do just that .

It seems so... and I'm glad to see so many blue's gathered here and reading them ;D
For when the red's? :evil:

It seems I'm not visiting these forums enough these days... everytime I stop by, there's half a dozen new moderators. Oh, and Tommy and Guy, of course ;D

When everyone here is a moderator, we will have different levels of meta-moderation. And then it'll be like nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom